« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Stephen A. Smith

SUSPENDED by ESPN

For Domestic Violence Remarks

7/29/2014 1:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0729-stephena-smith-tmz-02
ESPN is yanking Stephen A. Smith off the air -- suspending him for the inflammatory comments he made about women and domestic violence last week.

The network says Smith will not appear on his show "First Take" or on ESPN Radio until next Wednesday. During a discussion about Ray Rice's suspension, Stephen A. said he would tell women to make sure they're not doing anything "to provoke wrong actions" ... in addition to telling men what NOT to do.

This morning on "First Take" Smith apologized -- and ESPN released a statement, saying ... “We will continue to have constructive dialogue on this important topic. Stephen’s comments last Friday do not reflect our company’s point of view."

The network continued ... "As his apology demonstrates, he recognizes his mistakes and has a deeper appreciation of our company values.”

Smith's comments also infuriated fellow ESPN anchor Michelle Beadle. She's yet to react to his suspension.

072914_smith_apology_launch_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

BlindFury

Doesn't take much to outrage the masses.

staggerlee

I wish ESPN would have suspended Mike Greenberg for calling Martin Luther King Jr Day "COON DAY"

BlindFury

Blown all out of proportion. He's getting punished more than the guy who knocked out his girlfriend/now wife.

Skywalker

There was no need to suspend him. His comments were taken out of context. People are overreacting.

Ron Fing Swanson

That show is about two yahoos spewing buffoonery what does ESPN expect.

wafflesmom

I am a black woman and I totally agreed with and understood what he was saying.

K South West

Women need to understand sometimes they piss us off but to the point where you strike her is way overboard of a response...now sometimes women can sleep with your friend or something extreme but most times they are victims of battery for things like fabric softener

Bob

I love how the liberals are now turning on their own... The moral police should of fired him. If they wanna blow hard and get Sterling removed for his remarks than they should remove Stephen A Smith for his remarks ON THE AIR... Not in the privacy of his own home.

Ace

Burning dinner could provoke wrong actions.

WILLIE B

TOTAL BS. What he said was true, too much political correctness these days.

Unbroken Chain

Well he said.that when women get beaten by men we need to take a look at the behavior of the woman and her role. If people don't see what's wrong with that your mothers didn't raise you right. I am sorry but the only way I'd ever hit a woman is if she had a gun to my head, and I'd hesitate

The Maharincess of Franistan

Dumb azz.

OBAMA2016

If women want equal rights they better expect to get equal lefts too

Bacall

What an idiot. Deserves to be suspended.

Denni

What are the "elements of provocation"? I need to know before I slobber on the pillow or have dinner late or be too ill to iron his shirts. If he hits me, my next statement will be, "Just go to sleep". I will pour acid in his ear, superglue his genitals to his body, and all sorts of crazy stuff that I see on ID television. :-)

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments