Robert Downey Jr.'s Son

Charged with Felony Drug Possession

8/7/2014 3:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0807_Indio-Downey_getty2
Robert Downey Jr.
's son Indio has been charged with felony possession of  a controlled substance ... TMZ has learned.

As TMZ previously reported, the 20-year-old was arrested in June after cops noticed he was a passenger in a car in West Hollywood ... smoking something out of a pipe.  Authorities say Indio -- who appeared in "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" -- was in possession of cocaine.

Sources tell TMZ ... Indio -- a first-time offender -- is automatically entitled to a drug diversion program.

In addition to the felony, Indio has been charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.

Robert Downey Jr. thanked the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. for what he called "their intervention."

Robert famously struggled with addiction and then overcame it in a spectacular way.

0630_celebrity_kids_troubled_times_footer

ShotGunA

I hope he can turn it around like his dad. Addiction is a terrible thing!

MP

He has the support of a man who's been there & understands how hard it is...

Rare Z

Everyone is fighting their own personal battle and drug addiction is one of the hardest ones; I lost my uncle because of his addiction to cocaine........ My prayers or with you, Indio

Tammy LM

I hope everything will be alright. I hate to see Robert going through this. Because he knows so personally what it's like, and also I know he's blaming himself for all of this too right now. That's why they say drugs doesn't just ruin you, it ruins the whole family. Robert is paying the ultimate price for his own drug addiction right now. I hope Indio takes this seriously and gets himself straightened out. This doesn't have to happen. He needs to prove to himself and everyone else he's smarter than all of this.
Robert..... don't blame yourself and I'm so proud of you. It was very classy and respectful the response you gave the police as well. I'm sure they felt no joy doing what they had to do. Some people like to forget cops are fans too..

JermaineJacksonsHairline

Prayers. Crack addiction is as bad as going to war.Not every body survives.

OMFG

I wish them the BEST, they will overcome this as well.

#teamrjdjr

tmz001

Like father like son!

namers

I hope the first time is a charm and it doesn't become a life-long addiction.

Paul

Big deal, a little coke has never killed anyone.

GothamGirl

Good. Tired of celebrity justice.

HAIRYSACK

they are going to tear up that little white ass in jail for sure!!

Kimberly

Do i have to talk to him like I did with you Dad? Watch Who the "friends" are!

KateWinslet'sStudbolt

Hit a bong not a crack pipe

Cookie Lady

Awww, that's a shame. Knowing what a mess his dad was with his substance abuse I sure hope he doesn't have to go down that far. However, I hope he has his dad's strength to climb back up and stay there.

whitegurlhitter