Robin Williams

Rehab Came 'Too Late' For Survival

8/12/2014 6:12 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0812-robin-williams-tmz-03
Robin Williams was in such a deep depression when he went to rehab last month ... people around him felt it was simply "too late" for him to recover.

Sources who were around Robin at the time he decided he needed rehab tell TMZ ...  he was in a deep, dark depression. The people we spoke with confirm what Robin's people told TMZ when we broke the story ... he had not fallen off the wagon, but was struggling to center himself.

One source says, "Just before he checked in [to rehab] it was obvious ... he had not gotten treatment for so long he was too far down the road."

Another source says he had been "internalizing all the pain of addiction and it was obvious to anyone who was around him."

We're told Robin had been receiving "spiritual treatment" ... lots of meditating.

Robin had been dealing with depression for most of his life.

0812-robin-williams-icecream-rehab-july-02-facebook

0811_robin_williams_remembering_footer_2

Rob Zombie is King

Depression and addiction certainly do not discriminate. My heart breaks that Robin lost his battle with such a horrible disease. I truly hope he has found the peace that eluded him in lie. RIP Robin.

EL444

My God, such a tragedy. U will forever bring a smile to us. Wish u cud hv made urself smile. Hollywood has unnecessarily lost a legend R.I.P.

awards

People who suffer Bipolar are always just an episode away from the last act, eh?

Jcoco808

TMZ, it's SOOOO irresponsible and dangerous to send the message to your readers that it can be "too late" for a person to seek treatment.

Lauren

I'm heartbroken. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, I wish there wasn't such a stigma attached to it.
Depression is like a constant black cloud hovering over you.
When you're in deep, it's awful. You feel helpless, and worthless. You can't escape from your own mind.
I hope he's finally at peace, R.I.P.

Glenda

Depression is one of the worst diseases there is it can debilitate you from life, separate you from those you love and put you in your own little world to spiral down, give you hopelessness and despair. If you've ever been a little depressed for a day or two it is nothing compared to a lifetime of it. It seems he tried throughout his life to face it in one form or another with drugs, booze and rehab, it must have been a scary world to live in. He's at complete peace now without any illness. I hope his children haven't inherited this illness too.

hollym78

I refuse to feel sorry for Robin Williams. He is rich and famous. Come join the real world Mr. Williams and then you can cry about your life. How dare you leave behind your four beautiful children. You were healthy and wealthy and famous and had it all. There are millions of people that would have loved to take your place. Everyone has problems. How dare you !! You are a big baby. Oh wah my life is so bad. YOU TOOK THE EASY EAY OUT. COWARD. I WILL NOT SHED ONE TEAR FOR YOU.

HumanNature

ROBIN WILLIAMS A COMIC LEGEND

RIP

HumanNature

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE FOR ANYONE TO SEEK TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION!!!!

Jordan

I don't think Robin was in Rehab, he was in a Mental Health Facility, that his People were Calling Rehab, it makes no since that a Rehab Facility would take in someone who is there for Maintenance and not for Abuse.

iBetty

When people assume you have it all, they ignore the obvious symptoms... People assume bcuz someone is financially stable that they should be happy and all problems solved.. This is so sad Robin's life ended this way...

MariV

I just want to say is that, we are all affected by hearing that one of the best comedy legends took his own life. And that he was struggling with a disease that millions of people suffer with. I'm not saying that what he did was wrong because again depression for some people who are heavy depressed the only way to stop the pain is the unfortunate... RIP MR WILLIAMS

Mje1949

SHOCKED BEYOND WORDS! I immediately screamed "NO,NOT ROBIN WILLIAMS,"and then the tears flowed It is so sad when someone is so down that they turn to suicide. IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO HELP SOMEONE WITH DEEP DEPRESSION,,,,, I know because I suffer from it. Surely someone,a loved one ,friend,doctor or nurse could have done something to help him and to prevent this horrible act from happening! Oh Rest In Peace our sweet gifted man for that is what he was-GIFTED AND HE SHALL BE MISSED BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN . No more fears, no more tears and no more loneliness ; sleep well.

ronjourney

So the the dr's staff notice how serious the condition this man is in .and they release him . In case you do not know a dr can order a temp hold even walk ins. Wow if I ever need rehab please remind me not to go there. I still trying to under stand what being depressed is. Having good. Kids a loving wife grand kids being able to have the means to go anywhere work when u want by what u want haveing millions. Of fans loved by many ect ect. If that is delusion I need help I have none of that

Bossy Potato

This is so sad :( I don't like this.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments