Gibson Not to Apologize to Temple In Person Yet

8/18/2006 9:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The rabbi who invited Mel Gibson to speak at his temple tells TMZ that Gibson has officially declined the invitation to appear before the Jewish congregation ... for now.

Rabbi David Baron says he was recently contacted by Gibson's publicist, who claimed the actor remains "deeply involved in personal work which includes rehab, therapy and counseling for alcoholism."

You may recall Baron, the Rabbi for the Temple of the Arts, asked Mel Gibson to his temple on Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement. In the letter, Baron made it clear that he "did not invite Mel Gibson to speak; I invited him to deliver a public apology."

In accordance with Gibson's situation, Baron says he has extended the offer to a later date. In addition to the invitations, the rabbi says he has also volunteered to join with a group of Jewish leaders dedicated to educate Gibson about the dangers of anti-Semitism.

UPDATE: Late Friday afternoon, Mel Gibson's publicist, Alan Nierob, told TMZ "Mr. Gibson hasn't declined any offers, as I haven't even discussed any offers with him. It's way too soon in his recovery , and frankly he is not interested in anything public or a photo opp."

As for Rabbi Baron's statement that Gibson rejected his request to appear at Yom Kippur services, Nierob said; "I was very clear when I spoke to the kind Rabbi yesterday that I cannot even bring any requests to my client at this time, as it is inappropriate and too early in his recovery process. He completely understood my position on this and even offered to meet with my client at a later time if and when appropriate. Also, I told him that the public nature of the request was also inappropriate."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

kathryn

Tierd of this jew hater.

RiverRat

I thought Gibson came out and asked members of the Jewish community to meet with him and help him understand where all these anti-semetic feelings were coming from. Was that just so he wouldn't get into any more trouble? I'm shocked!!!!!!!

SICK IGNORANCE

He is no different than the rest of you. He just got caught saying it. No different then people talking about Black people with that big N word. People do it all the time. But because it is Mel Gibson every one has a problem with it. Stop people from making slurs when you hear it. Just maybe people will except EVERYONE no matter where they come from. Just Maybe!

Dallas

fuck this homophobe / jew hater

Pamela

Dont hold your breath waiting for him to show up and apoligize. You have to be sorry for the things you say or do to apoligize.

ApocalyptoWatch

Well, he can't do EVERYTHING at once.

We're covering this story from the angle of how it effects Mel's next movie, Apocalypto. Take a look

CelebSlam.com

Mel's screwed because I'm pretty sure most temples have a strict "No Jack Daniels" policy

My two cents

NO WONDER THERE IS SO MUCH CONFLICT BETWEEN LEBANON AND ISRAEL....JEWS ARE SUCH UNFORGIVING, OVERBEARING AND BRUTAL PEOPLE...(SORRY, YOU ASKED FOR IT!!)

Kumontee

Mel Gibson doesn't have to make any more apologies for his incident. Rabbi David Baron should just get over it! Atleast Mel Gibson was decent enough to offer an apology in the first place. People do horrible things everyday and never say they are "Sorry", but Mel Gibson did and I think the World should cut him some slack and allow him a peaceful recovery because Alcoholism is a disease.

kathryn

#6, I'm not a jew, and I would have a hard time forgiving someone who talked about my "race" like that. He ment what he said, and you know it. If he talked about black people that way, there would be an up-rising.

Lisa

Will you people give the man a chance to recover!
He's in a program. You bitch when he says he's sorry, you bitch when he says he wants guidence, you bitch because he didn't go to jail. You bitch because he says not now but at a later date to meet with jewish leaders. You judgemental people need to look in the mirror and stop acting like you've never said a bad thing about anyone yet you expect Mel to burn in hell for something that he said while under the influence.
Get a freaking life already and leave him alone.

A Devoted Mel Fan

My two cents

AMEN, LISA!!!!

Kaitlyn

Everyone should have seen this whole damn circus act coming.

'The Passion of the Christ' was orginally written as a play in the Medieval Age during the Crusades, specially created and performed for the purposes of inciting hatred for the Jews so that the Europeans would be so damn riled up, the only way they could purge that hate inside was to enlist in the armies heading for the Holy Land.

'The Passion of the Christ' has about as much to do with the actual life of Christ as 'Uncle Tom's Cabin', and about the same amount of political correctness.

And Mel is a master of creating propaganda films--remember Braveheart? Good God! Wallace has been dead for damn near 800 years and my Irish mother still watches that film to refresh her hatred for the English.

So, with 'Passion of the Christ', he picks a more obvious target--Jews--and everyone eats it up with a spoon.

Everyone who is actually shocked by this deserves to treat themselves to an arsenic milkshake.

mike

Mel can apologize anytime he wants for his remarks. Thats is he wants. He has other things to worry about right now than giving out apologies.

ChemEngin

JM u racist bastard u can not sit there and label an entire population. They need to leave mel gibson alone and let him handle his business.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments