Gibson Not to Apologize to Temple In Person Yet

8/18/2006 9:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The rabbi who invited Mel Gibson to speak at his temple tells TMZ that Gibson has officially declined the invitation to appear before the Jewish congregation ... for now.

Rabbi David Baron says he was recently contacted by Gibson's publicist, who claimed the actor remains "deeply involved in personal work which includes rehab, therapy and counseling for alcoholism."

You may recall Baron, the Rabbi for the Temple of the Arts, asked Mel Gibson to his temple on Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement. In the letter, Baron made it clear that he "did not invite Mel Gibson to speak; I invited him to deliver a public apology."

In accordance with Gibson's situation, Baron says he has extended the offer to a later date. In addition to the invitations, the rabbi says he has also volunteered to join with a group of Jewish leaders dedicated to educate Gibson about the dangers of anti-Semitism.

UPDATE: Late Friday afternoon, Mel Gibson's publicist, Alan Nierob, told TMZ "Mr. Gibson hasn't declined any offers, as I haven't even discussed any offers with him. It's way too soon in his recovery , and frankly he is not interested in anything public or a photo opp."

As for Rabbi Baron's statement that Gibson rejected his request to appear at Yom Kippur services, Nierob said; "I was very clear when I spoke to the kind Rabbi yesterday that I cannot even bring any requests to my client at this time, as it is inappropriate and too early in his recovery process. He completely understood my position on this and even offered to meet with my client at a later time if and when appropriate. Also, I told him that the public nature of the request was also inappropriate."

ALLIE KAYE

mel has great things in his future. I know this because he is a caring man. The star stuff is not him as a person but a status given to him due to his body of work. He is human with all the stuff that goes with it as we are. The media creates the picture that he should be perfect. He is not. It should not be accepted that he has to crawl for us. He will do the right thing at the right time. I hope it can be kept private and not exploited by the media. He is going to be a example for all of us. He has that in him. I think he is a good man. Are you?

Beverley Cooney

If there was a video tape of any of us when we were drunk and agitated im sure most of what we said would be incorrect and not even true to our feelings in other words when we pissed off we say shit we dont mean add alcohol to that annoyance and bobs your uncle you got a ugly situation that is out of control cut the guy some slack he is battling alcoholism and deals with some work pressures most of us cant even imagine yes he was wrong let him apoligize and then leave him alone We are entitled to our own beliefs wether they good or bad

LM

Mel is human..........Rabbi, GET OVER IT.

Marvin

ALCOHOL IS A TRUTH SERUM.

don goldberg

I've always been a supporter of Israel and an admirer of jews in general and think Mel Gibson's remarks were evidence of his true feelings for jews and surprised many of us. HOWEVER, Rabbi Baron is a moron to invite a hollywood celebrity to a temple to apologize for cursing jews. Fuhcrisake, he's an actor! He's entitled to his feelings just as I am and now Rabbi, I am no longer as sympathetic to anti-semitism as I used to be. Was democrat Andrew Young invited? Hell no. He's worse than Mel!!! Hell, Rabbi Baron, you should apologize to the whole freakin jewish community for being such an idiot. When Andy shows up at your temple, I'll wear a beanie cap to my baptist church for you. Hows' that Rabbi????

Adam G. Bolonyi

The Bible says: "God is LOVE". To bad everybody in the world, who claims to know God, doesn't exibit what HE intends for us to. I do try, to LOVE that is. Because perfect LOVE casteth out "all fear". Everybody should try it! It only hurts a little, especially when taken advantage of by people who think you're being sappy and stupid. They just don't get it! Their reward is here on earth. I'll wait for mine, until a later time. PEACE PEOPLE!

mh

the guy asked for an opportunity to ask for forgiveness. yom kippur is the day of forgiveness for jews... maybe Mel could step away from Mel world and join those in the real world whose forgiveness he has asked for. and by the way, when did drunk driving become a disease? Or is that only for the rich? Mel sure is a man of the (aryan and privileged) people.

Papiray23

We got bigger issues in this planet to be worried about this situation; I think everybody should forget about it and go on with their lives.

TINA

Good God -- is there anyone out there - that has NOT said something - they wished they had not ??? I know I have over & over. He is sorry -- get over it !!!

Kyle Wayne Kelly

God bless Mel Gibson. He has done us all one great favor. We all know the crusifixion story a little better. God will bless you Mr. Gibson, and the devil will hate you. I only recommend that you tell the whole story of Jesus, and not just pop christianity. God bless you Mel, and I eagerly hope and await even greater spiritual things from Mel. May God overwhelm Mel with blessings that leave him happier each day.

Mr. Jim

Mel was drunk. He said he was sorry. He is in rehab. Forget it and move on. I'm a white male and if I got upset every time some made a slur about "whitey" or "cracker" or blamed white men for every crime since Adam and Eve, I'd be a basket case, move on and accept his apology. How long must you whine about this or really, any other issue. Get a life. Jim

John

Well said Mr Jim.

Shirley Villasana

If what is being said is true and Mel Gibson has decided not to apologize to the Jewish people for his remarks he is the loser in this case because it shows exactly what kind of a man he is. I would like for everyone to get along in this world regardless of their political or religious beliefs but I am living in a dream world. It is sad when people show this kind of stupidity because God or Allah or whatever a person calls the Supreme Being made us all. Why do we always have to attack each other over such stupid things? All of us have so much to contribute to each other but instead we want to tear each other down. Mel Gibson and others like him could do so much good because they not only have a name but the resources as well.

Robin Hauck

Mel was just running his mouth because he was just a little bit drunk. He already said he was sorry. Why don't you ask those Iranian, Lebonese, and other Jew Haters to apologize for their public demands for the distruction of all jews? See if they will appear at a public forum and apologize for all their Jew hating rehtoric?

Sam

Even if he did mean it, and people are upset...just don't go see his movies. He doesn't OWE anyone anything. If he wants to apologize or something then he will. It's not worth dragging on about it. If a black actor says something racist about a white person, we don't have some protest etc. Spike lee is one of the most known racist black actors, I don't like him because of that so I just don't see any one of his movies and that's about as much thought as I put into it.