Borat Lawsuit

High Five!!!

11/9/2006 9:26 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

How's this for the beginning of a lawsuit filed today in Los Angeles County Superior Court? -- "Sacha Baron Cohen is a prankster."

Click to view documents
Two anonymous plaintiffs are suing 20th Century Fox and One America Productions, claiming members of their college fraternity were interviewed to become part of the smash "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" film.

The plaintiffs -- listed as John Doe 1 and John Doe 2 -- were allegedly assured the film would not be shown in the U.S. and their identities would not be revealed.

They were both selected to appear in the movie and, according to the suit, taken "to a drinking establishment 'to loosen up' and provided alcoholic beverages." They claim they signed the movie releases after "heavy drinking."

The suit claims both men were then taken to a motor home where they were filmed, all the while "encouraged to continue drinking."

The movie features a scene in a motor home where Cohen gets drunk with three frat boys who go on a racist rant about how they wished they had slaves and how minorities in the United States "have all the power."

According to the lawsuit, the frat boys only received $200 for the controversial appearance.

The plaintiffs claim they suffered "humiliation, mental anguish, and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community..." because the movie was indeed released in the U.S.

The suit asks for unspecified damages.

Calls to 20th Century Fox were not immediately returned.

Ashley

#26, though all comments against ignorant fools are highly appreciated, generalizing them as being ignorant fools just because they are from the South, is not. Not everyone in the South is ignorant, racist, sexist, etc. Many are incredibly liberal and do not condone those view points. Congratulations, you have successfully fallen into the "ignorant fool" category for making such a generalized statement.

moretocome

I usually don't go for the jackass type movies and I thought this was one of those. I was wrong. I have to admit, when I didn't have my eyes closed, I was laughing. I'm sure the nude wrestling was very funny by the amount of laughter I was hearing. But for some reason I just couldn't watch. I also agree this was a statement to Americans about what goes on in some states to this day. Some of us Americans are still racist and that’s very disheartening. I mean come on, who would want to live on "Secession Drive"?

Dick Douglas

What a drag that alcohol once again allows the innermost feelings, no matter how disgusting, to come out. You know, the stuff we don't normally have the BALLS to say. : )

Those poor loser, racist a**holes.

Zoe

You think Borat's offensive?! At least he was trying to be funny and comedic. These frat boys don't have an excuse or a punchline for the vicious racist and sexist things they had to say. They are just pissed because their friends and family know the truth now, and whose fault is that? The filmmakers used what the frat boys themselves SUPPLIED them with. I'm glad those losers are being laughed at by the majority of the country (and world).

Curtis

I hate frat houses, frat boys and frat parties....I hope for some reason it backfires on them...Hail Borat

Klcotner

First off, I am in a Fraternity and it IS NOT A FRAT! You call it a Fraternity, you dont call your country a c**t, do you? Also I totally feel bad and not bad for those guys, they allowed themselves to get all drunk and retarded. But they were targeted for this because of a stereotype about how fraternity guys only get drunk and do stupid stuff, which is totally incorrect.

John

Are not having a leg to stand on and being lame the same thing?

JoeF

These same frat boys would poo-poo any girl who lifts her top for "Girls Gone Wild," and then has second thoughts.

Hypocrites.

"Frat Boy"

Being in a fraternity myself I'm obviously biased, but I also know a hell of a lot more about it then most of you stereotyping a**holes.

First of all, the fact that these men are in a fraternity is irrelevant, they could have been any college age white male and the effect would be the same. Apparently Sacha Cohen is also a stereotyping a**hole, so he targeted these fraternity guys.

That said, I'd like to set the record straight. I can't speak for all colleges and fraternities, but I can for mine and plenty others. Yes, "frat boys" know how to drink and party and get lots of ass and all that fun stuff that most college students do, but there's far more to it than that.

We're not stupid, the average fraternity GPA is higher than the school average. The greek system raises hundred of thousands of dollars a year for charity. We participate in all sorts of clubs and organizations and attend and run leadership conferences and things like that. So if anything, don't be jealous that we know how to party, be jealous that we know how to party harder and are smarter and more successful than you. A**holes.

So really, you f***ers who are generalizing us "frat boys" as racist-sexist-STD-ridden-raping-hazing-drunk-idoits are no better than the the racists sexists themselves.

Donnie 3.0

Sam said this: "I'm glad Sacha Cohen is getting sued. I'm sick of all this ambush humor and innocent people's expense."

Lemme guess, you are one of those political correctness types, aren't ya? Lemme tell you sumthin, people today are so damned uptight about EVERYTHING. I haven't seen this film, but have seen more than a few clips and I have to say that this type of humor brings out the truth in people. You really see people for who they REALLY are.

Feminist scene case-in-point. These people talk about all the hate. Look how they reacted. Hypocrisy? I'd say so. Sam... I'd rethink my stance if I were you before there are laws passed to outlaw this by people like you.

LBOOGiE73

The choice was ALWAYS theirs to drink or not to drink, and, unfortunately, they made the wrong choice like Mel Gibson. They have to take responsibility for their actions. Alcohol makes you lose your inhibitions. These young men are pissed because they let the alcohol expose them for who they really are and what they truly think.

viv

i'm sorry, if i get drunk, so drunk i make stupid comments, and someone pays me to video the ridiculous fool i make of myself, who's to blame? ME!

folks didn't take it easy on Mel Gibson for making a fool of himself.

Say dumb sh*t, you are a dumb sh*t. fess up, feel better, move on.

booglie

"Frat Boy", it's frat boy like you who gives bad name to Fraternities all over America, you arrogant piece of crap. "Don't be jealous that we know how to party, be jealous that we know how to party harder and are smarter and more successful than you. A**holes" I'm laughing histerically over the insecurities shown in this statement :D :D

So high GPA means you are smart? I think not.

Lewis

Support Borat against crazy Jewish, Gay frat boys: Join this Facebook support group!!! Emergency action.

gavilan

I would have loved to be taken on a ride with borat, those p***ies shouldn't even be talking about that, but their stupid and drunk, so borat takes the cake