Rosie Rips Kelly for "Homophobic" Remark

11/21/2006 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rosie O'Donnell started a bitchfight with fellow morning-diva Kelly Ripa when she accused Ripa of making a "homophobic" remark.

The fracas started on "The View" when O'Donnell said that Ripa was "homophobic" for her scolding of Aiken when he co-hosted her show the other day and playfully put his hand over her mouth, prompting Ripa to snap, "I don't know where that hand has been." Rosie suggested that if Aiken had been a "straight guy, a cute guy" or, for instance, Mario Lopez, Ripa wouldn't have made the same remark. (Aiken, of course, has never said anything publicly about his sexuality.)

Ripa was incensed enough to call into the show immediately, firing back that Rosie's accusation was "outrageous" and "irresponsible" and that Ripa made the remark last Friday because it was "cold and flu season" and that Aiken had shaken the hands of the studio audience. Rosie wasn't buying it, and in acknowledging that she admires Ripa, said that "from where I sit" as an openly gay woman, Ripa's response was homophobic.

Kelly, for her part, continued to pile on Aiken as well, saying that his behavior on last week's episode was "disrespectful," including the fact that he never thanked her for the opportunity to co-host. Kelly and the ladies agreed on one thing: guest host Sherri Shepherd's assertion that Clay probably wouldn't have muzzled Regis like he did Kelly.
Ladies of

seriously disappointed viewer

Rosie you really need to get a life hun. I use to like you before you let your mouth overcome your brain. The view mad a very big mistake and I no longer watch it either because of Rosie's mouth and rudeness. Maybe someone needs to tell Rosie hey wake up and let things go.

Kathy

Is everyone as tired of Rosie as I am? I used to watch her show, subscribed to her magazine but enough is enough. Everyone knows that she is gay, we get it she likes girls stop rubbing it in everyone's faces. First Oprah is a little gay, now Kelly Ripa is homophobic, not everything has to be about being gay or straight. There is more to life Rosie! My nephew is gay and we find plenty of things to talk about that have nothing to do with his being gay. Give it a try Rosie!!!!!

sy

i am sooooooooooooooo sick of rosie o'donnell i just wanna puke. so what if kelly's comments WERE homophobic....SO WHAT?!!!!! SO WHAT?!!! SO FREAKING WHAT?!!! last time i checked, clay aiken vehemently denies being gay, so she needs to get a freaking life and mind her own freaking business. i don't care if it were nick lachey, brad pitt or george clooney putting their hands on my mouth (although that would be nice), if they were doing it in the manner as if the say "shut up" which is clearly what clay was doing, i would have gone off too. i'm a grown ass woman and you're a lil boy, don't put your filthy, freaking hands on my mouth to sush me....are you crazy?!!!! put it this way, if someone was having a back and forth conversation with clay's mother and then disrespectfully tried to shut her up by covering her mouth with their hand, he would have moved heaven and earth to make sure that his mother was never disrespected again, and that is the fact! the same thing goes for rosie...if someone tried to shut up her "mate" by putting their hand over HER mouth, she'll be on TV again running her big fat mouth and trying to lynch the person. almost everybody on the view is a punk, they're all afraid of rosie and offending her....freak her! just as she (believes) she has the right to get married to a woman, or adopt a child as a gay woman living with a gay partner, or spew hatred towards christianity and the church; kelly ripa has the right to do and say whatever she damn well pleases and she better not apologize for it because rosie damn sure doesn't. she's nothing but an overstuffed, bully and i WISH someone in hollywood would grow some balls and tell her to shut the hell up. you say you're happy being gay right?!! cool! well be happy and leave everybody alone. fact is, you'll never be truly happy as a gay human being because you're violating the very soul that is within you. but that's too deep for rosie. WE KNOW YOU'RE GAY ROSIE!!! EVERYBODY KNOWS YOU'RE GAY SWEETHEART!!! and you know what? WE DON'T CARE!! what we care about is the fact that you won't shut up about it! E'FREAKING'NUFF ALREADY!!! SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH!!!! i need a drink!

Richard Milligan

Rosie is a Fat loud mouth BITCH that thinks if you are not gay the world should walk on pins and needles. This is not the first contraversey she has caused on the show. The View better wise up and get rid of her while they still have an audience. ROSIE IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT, CHANGE YOUR LIFESTILE!!

Melly

I used to be a fan of Rosie but over the years I've grown to hate her. Yes I'm a fan of Kelly's but that comment was not homophobic. Give me a break Kelly's right she has the right to tell anyone not to put their hand on her face especially over her mouth. I have a gay sister and she didn't see it that way either. Rosie thinks everything is gay bashing. God what was BW thinking??? THis is why I don't watch the View anymore. Thank God for Rachel Ray. I stayed on the View so I could see what the whole mess was about and to hear what Kelly said and believe me as soon as Kelly hung up I switched the channel. Rosie owes Kelly a huge appologiy tomm. I do wonder if Regis or kelly will say anything tomm

pitbull

Kelly is a great additon to the Regis show. I started watching that show because of her...anyways that was not a homophoboc remark. Rosie's got problems...I watched the View today and Kelly called in on the show to clarify w/Rosie and 2 let her know that it wasn't a homophobis remark and Rosie was so rude not to accept what Kelly had 2 say. I like Rosie but not so much anymore after all this. Its people like her that blow things way out of proportion and the also the wrong way...that causes friction in things that shouldn't even have to be. Clay should have never covered her mouth let alone touch her like that. HE SUCKS not Kelly! GO KELLY!!!!

Cracker the wandering hillbilly

Tell me, who's idea was it to put this big-mouthed cow on The View?

JP

I just want to comment on "TYSIN" comment, that was pretty funny, no doubt..............

Philip

Every group is a victim except hetero White men. If it wasn't for White men bending over as a matter of principle for the rights of all the rest, none of them would have the power they hold today. Now White men in America have allowed themselves to be turned into punks who aren't respected anymore by their women or the world. It turns out while we fought for your principles, you fought for our power. Anybody want to buy a Burqa?

BabyGirl09

I cant believe Rosie said that Clay was gay. If he has never said that he is in fact gay, then she had no place saying that!!! That's my main gripe. And second, Rosie, I have absolutely nothing against gay people, but I think that you are being too paraniod or something. No one really wants to hear all the details about you and your girlfriend anyways. It would be no different if she were a man. That's your PERSONAL life... lets keep it that way.

ruthie

I do believe that Rosie went too far in assuming that Clay is gay, and to make the decision to announce his sexuality to the world. I do not believe in homosexuality. I do not believe in defending homosexuality. In my opinion homosexuality is nothing more than a choice. Alcoholics choose to be drunks. Drug users choose to be druggies. Homosexuality is nothing more than an impulse, it is the individual's decision to act upon that impulse. When you get to heaven there will be no defense in this way of living. As for Rosie she needs to stop defending something that isn't right in the first place. It is not right to put sexuality in the same category as race. You cannot choose your race. You CAN choose your sexuality!

KC

Rosie is an angry woman. I hope she gets the help she needs. I am so glad I never had to deal with such an angry mother. I can't imagine how she conducts herself at school functions. Who in their right mind would allow their children to spend time with her and her children? She simply needs to grow up and most of all, shut up.

CeCE

I saw the show Friday with Clay co-hosting and I thought from the beginning that the tone was going downhill. Clay, who is usually so likable was obviously having a bad day. He was teasing Kelly unmercifully. At some point the fun teases turn a little malicious. Kelly's reaction to the hand over her mouth was not homophobic. I think her reaction really was just a build up of "this guy really doesn't like me, or he is deliberately trying to make me look bad" In which case, it is her show. Rosie is the phobic, she thinks everyone is thinking "gay" every minute of the day and somehow it might bring her "gay" world to a screeching halt.

Denise

I never thought of Clays sexuality I watched Regis and Kelly no matter who cohosts there are also rumors of Sam Champion being gay and he would never disrespect her Clay was just plain rude and he thinks he is a superstar and I think since he didnt come out and publicly say he was gay I feel Rosie just wants to further who gay cause

Terry Schiele

Rosie, will you please grow up and stop insinuating that everytime someone who is not gay, stops someone else from being rude, that it has to do with sexual preference. Get some therapy and quit being an idiot.