Rosie Rips Kelly for "Homophobic" Remark

11/21/2006 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rosie O'Donnell started a bitchfight with fellow morning-diva Kelly Ripa when she accused Ripa of making a "homophobic" remark.

The fracas started on "The View" when O'Donnell said that Ripa was "homophobic" for her scolding of Aiken when he co-hosted her show the other day and playfully put his hand over her mouth, prompting Ripa to snap, "I don't know where that hand has been." Rosie suggested that if Aiken had been a "straight guy, a cute guy" or, for instance, Mario Lopez, Ripa wouldn't have made the same remark. (Aiken, of course, has never said anything publicly about his sexuality.)

Ripa was incensed enough to call into the show immediately, firing back that Rosie's accusation was "outrageous" and "irresponsible" and that Ripa made the remark last Friday because it was "cold and flu season" and that Aiken had shaken the hands of the studio audience. Rosie wasn't buying it, and in acknowledging that she admires Ripa, said that "from where I sit" as an openly gay woman, Ripa's response was homophobic.

Kelly, for her part, continued to pile on Aiken as well, saying that his behavior on last week's episode was "disrespectful," including the fact that he never thanked her for the opportunity to co-host. Kelly and the ladies agreed on one thing: guest host Sherri Shepherd's assertion that Clay probably wouldn't have muzzled Regis like he did Kelly.
Ladies of

Jan

tell Rosie that the militant aspect of gays & lesbians is NOT the way to get the general public to accept our lifestyle. Being a strong supporter of gay & lesbians is great. Don't push what you believe on everyone else or "blame them" for what they don't believe or understand. You do all of us a disservice.......& yes I would discuss it with you in person, on-line or live.

IrishNana

I like Rosie and Kelly. I couldn't believe it when Rosie started her tirade this am. That was a set-up. Let's have a fight between Rosie and Kelly .... people, it is November! Ratings month! Rosie was wrong and I don't blame Kelly. I had no clue Clay was gay until Rosie let us know.

Shorty0502

yeah rosie is just bored. if kelly is homophobic so what that's noboby's busy what does rosie care unless she wants kelly(ewwww) she needs to leave kelly alone i wasn't that serious anyways. if you're gay that nobody's buisness either who care!!!

Lucy

Rose was wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to see how SHE would have reacted had someone did that to her. Kelly said nothing aluding to a remark against gays. That was said by Rosie when she used the word homophobic!!!!!!!!!! And since when does Elisabeth feel the need to DEFEND Rosie?????? The View has gone downhill in a big way since Meridth left. They need to get Rose and Elisabeth out of there like yesterday.

John Fitzgerald

FLASH -- Rosie outs Aiken and questions his physical appearance!! Once again O'Donnell opens her big mouth over what appears to be nothing and tries to shove her gay thing down everyone's throat. We get it Rosie, you're a very unhappy little girl still seeking attention and misery loves company so if you can get everyone pissed at each other over something you said, what a great day for you!!

Sydney

"(Aiken, of course, has never said anything publicly about his sexuality.)"

Well, of course Clay Aiken HAS publicly said something about his sexuality. He has stated publically in PEOPLE that he doesn't want to answer whether or not he's gay because no matter what he said people wouldn't believe him. Umm, yeah. Ok. Whatever.

So, since the guy has not copped to being gay, I think Rosie is rather outing him by jumping to the defense of a fellow "gay" entertainer when said entertainer has not even identified himself as being gay.

jennie

Rosie is the one who needs to get over the fact that she is gay. I don't blame Ripa for saying what she said; I would have said the same thing regardless of the sexuality of whom the hand belonged.

Mike

Being a gay myself, I dont think that her comment was homophobic at all. She was just messing around poking fun with him. I love ya Rosie, but honey relax alittle bit.

Jane Loveless

AS A MOTHER OF THREE YOUNG CHILDREN, KELLY HAS EVERY RIGHT TO NOT WANT SOMEONE'S HAND IN CONTACT WITH HER MOUTH...ROSIE HAS NOW OUTED CLAY AIKEN WITH HER TIRADE AS HE HAS NOT STATED HIE SEXUAL PREFERENCES...I SAW THE SHOE AND AIKEN WAS RUDE AND SHOWED NO RESPECT......O'DONNELL NEEDS TO GET A GRIP AND STOP THE HOMOSEXUAL RANTING...SHE IS RUNNING THE VIEW DOWNHILL WITH OUT A BRAKE....SHE NEEDS TO APOLOGIZE AND SHUT UP FOR AWHILE....GIVE IT A REST PLEASE.....GREE

Maddie

Rosie I'm so sick of you thinking "EVERYTHING" is about GAYS... geesh, I would be pissed if I was visiting with someone and my own husband put his hands over my mouth.. its like saying what I have to say is not important and the germ factor is just as bad... you just don't put your hands on a persons mouth, I don't even do that to my own kids when they say something wrong, I gently take them aside and talk to them but I would never put my hand on anyone's mouth.. it is rude and it is wrong.. Rosie.. get over it.. quit making everything about the gay issue and you better say sorry to Clay.. since when has he said he is homosexual?????Why do you think you can out him if he isn't Gay or even if he is... it is not up to you to say that.. talk about a wench.

Skip

Rosie?...Rosie?...Rosie? Was she that ugly, screechy voiced BITCH that was miscast as hot Betty in the Flintstone movie years ago? What an insult to Barney. "Southpark" outed her best.

Carol

O please I hate having my mouth covered I always end up with pimple around my mouth when my kids used to do that. I have learned to really dislike Rosie I used to think she was so funny. As soon as she came out (like we couldn't tell she was gay before she came out now thats a joke) everything became about nobody likes me whine whine whine because I'm gay. NO , thats not it, i don't like you anymore because thats ALL you talk about when really who gives a flying Sh@T that your gay I'm not sleeping with you. I don't want ANYONES hands on my face gay striaght or bisexual hands carry the most germs stupid. They touch doorknobs on the way out of the mens room who knows if he washes his hands. ROSIE GIVE THE GAY THING A REST YOUR BEATING A DEAD HORSE WITH IT.

Breeze

I've heard variations of the "no telling where that hand's been" a few times as trash talk -- nothing to do with whether one is gay or not. My impression is that loud-mouth Rosie isn't sensitive, just that she'll grab any excuse to do battle. Her being gay is not offensive; her obnoxiousness is.

Rosie is a perfect example of something I've wondered about: why do people watch television shows with such repulsive stars and help perpetuate their "popularity"? I didn't watch the show; I refuse to be an enabler of brainless diarrhea of the mouth.

jan

WHY DOES CLOWN FACE ROSIE ALWAYS HAVE TO BE IN EVERY BODYS BUSINESS? IT WAS NO CONCERN OF HERS THAT CLAY PUT HIS DIRTY HANDS ON KELLYS MOUTH. I WOULD NOT WANT ANY ONE PUTTING THERE HAND ON MY MOUTH NOT KNOWING WHERE THAT HAND HAS BEEN WOULD YOU????? FAT, UGLY NO TALENTED BITCH OF A SO CALLED WOMAN NEEDS TO KEEP HER MOUTH SHUT.