Soap Star Attacked, Decks Obsessed Fan

1/3/2007 9:09 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Drake HogestynTMZ has obtained a restraining order filed by veteran "Days of Our Lives" actor Drake Hogestyn against a man he says assaulted him in his home on New Year's Eve, and "physically tried to exorcise the devil from me."

Hogestyn, who has played John Black on NBC's "Days" for over 20 years, says he was with his family in the backyard of their Malibu home when Carl Raymond Cheney of Portland, OR came onto his property and ran at his daughter carrying a bible screaming "Where is he? I will cast him out!" Hogestyn says Cheney was "calling me by my stage name... recalling past storylines, especially the demonic possession of several years past. But more important, he thought I was dead, because the show that aired on Friday 12.29.06 left my character John Black shot & presumed dead."

Soap StarsHogestyn, who was on a ladder painting his house, says Cheney grabbed and pushed his wife backwards on their patio stairs. At that time, Hogestyn "grabbed him by the hair, spun him around, delivered a right cross to the chin that sent him down the stairs." According to the restraining order the struggle continued for 10 minutes until Hogestyn and his 25-year-old son Ben were able to subdue Cheney by duct-taping the intruder's hands and feet until police arrived.

Cheney was transported to the L.A. County Jail where he is still in custody on $150,000 bail. According to the court documents, a map with directions from Portland to Hogestyn's home were found in the front seat of Cheney's car.

Mary Jane

I'm glad the Black family is OK. Perhaps this guy was trying to exercise the lousy acting performed daily by Drake on DOL.

Mary Jane

I'm glad the Black family is OK. Perhaps this guy was trying to exorcise the lousy acting performed daily by Drake on DOL.

M.R.S.

Mary Jane, glad to see your ignorance never ceases..... =)

nick in malibu

am a neighbor of drake and family in malibu they are the nicest down 2 earth quality people anywhere,,a 100% fantastic family....

Standards are badly needed.

You can do almost ANYTHING with duct tape.

Hello Kitty

I think someone should have cut days out of their daytime tv. I gave up watching around the Devil possession storyline.

Tried to watch it again, but the stink about "Super Couples" being dead by the Ken Corday gave me the push I needed to give up soaps.

But I'm glad that none of the Hogestyn family was harmed.

Roman Brady / John Black was one of the best add on to Days Of Our Lives.

Mimi

"DUck tape and everything?"

DUCT! It's not for taping ducks, it's for sealing air ducts!!

Bubbles

I am proud of Drake and his family for subduing the person who invaded their privacy. Kudos to them all. It's star crazed fans who ruin it for the celebrities and their lifestyles. I certainly hope the hit Drake gave to the intruder made the guy realize just dumb he was to invade their home.

Donna

Thank God that Drake and his family is okay. Drake is just a great actor and an asset to the Days cast. I enjoyed watching him for the last 20 years and will continue to watch Days. Thank you Drake for being you.

sam

#17 (Regardless) You made me spit my coffee onto my keyboard! Too funny, thanks.

Being a celebrity at any level is starting to be dangerous. Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt.

belle

I wonder if he did that eyebrow raise while beating the hell out of that guy like somebody said previously...I could totally see Drake kicking the sh*t out of someone, and stopping to pose....hopefully they keep that guy locked up....sh*tty way to start the new year....

Whatevah

This is freaken awesome!! I love how he used his stunt work to subdue an actual criminal! I think I've seen him use that move on Stefano a few times. I'm sure in true soap opera fashion, the bad guy will return in a few years, played by a different character, out for revenge.

CountessKarma

No wonder he was acting crazy --- with a last-name like "Cheney," what do you expect?!

Jennifer

Holy Crap. Poor guy. I like DOOL just as much as the next person but I know the difference between pretend and real. Glad D.H. and family are ok.

Jennifer

LisaG

This is truly a frightening experience! I hope the Hogestyn family is going to be ok. People may laugh off such an encounter because it sort of mirrors Drake's character's life, but so many things could have gone wrong and someone may have been seriously hurt or worse. I can't imagine how scary it would be for a nutcase like this guy to invade the sanctity and security of one's home like this. I hope they lock the guy up for a long time and I hope this doesn't permanently scar Drake or his family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments