Alec Responds:

'I've Been Driven to the Edge'

4/20/2007 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Alec BaldwinAlec Baldwin swung back at wife Kim Basinger, slamming "certain people" who he says, "will go to any lengths to embarass [sic] me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter."

In a statement on his website alecbaldwin.com, Baldwin apologizes for "losing my temper" but is "equally sorry that a court order was violated," and maintains that despite his now-public tirade he has friends and "respect from people I work with," and what he claims to be "a normal relationship" with daughter Ireland. Here's the statement in full:

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter.

In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case.

Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode.

Yeah, you ARE nuts!

This has no place in the media. Yes the tape should have been presented to the judge but not the media.

There is a real problem with the custody rights in this country. Fathers are alienated, frustrated, pushed aside and many give up then are critized for that ,but he should have left his message on Kim's phone not the childs.

I wouldn't blame him if he just quit trying. Send the check and tell the child to call him when she wants to talk. If the mother is turning her against him there is nothing he can do. He is in a no win situation along with millions of other men.

sharon

Mr. Baldwin: Speak with your daughter about it and give her a big hug and a kiss and tell her how much you love her and didn't mean a word of it. Tell HER how sorry you are. A "normal" relationship goes both ways. Your daughter has rights also and is entitled to be treated with respect.

faith

i wouldn't be surprised if his daughter was the one to leak this. If i was his kid, i would. And of course, hes blaming other people for his actions and making excuses. I understand parents can lose their temper, but this was un called for and he should be willing to accept the consequences. And for his lawyer to make comments about Kim....that is just petty.

Samantha K

Alec is yet another example of how vile and vicious "stars" can be - poor Alec, he's the victim, not his daughter. I have four children and a husband who has been deployed to the Middle East three times, so far. I'm fairly confident that I have a more stressful life - real stress, not "I hope first class isn't too crowded" stress - than Mr. Baldwin. Unlike him, I have four children and I have NEVER said anything REMOTELY as out of line as what he said to his daughter. He might have issues with his ex, but that's who he should call out, not his daughter. I'd say he's acting like one of my toddlers, but my two-year-old has far better manners. The man needs serious help.

Thea

If you call your daughter a pig or a bitch, that will stay in her mind her entire life long. An apology won't fix it. It might appear to fix it, but in her mind, the damage is done. A father is the person who shapes a daughter's life and who sets up all her future male relationships.

She will either look for abusive, violent men or will avoid men for fear they will turn out that way.

Now Alec and daughter have to head off for longterm counseling, for the sake of the child, in hopes of mitigating this lifelong damage he has inflicted.

Moms cannot influence children this much. Children make up their own minds very early and usually stand up for themselves if they need to. There are children who simply resent their fathers, hate them, hate the living arrangements they have set up and drag the child into. Children are independent people, not just bits of their mothers.

Stephen D'Andrea

What a complete and total COWARD. Poor Alec. Maybe his custody wouldn't be in such a condition of disrepair if he was a responsible and NON-ABUSIVE father. This narcissistic loser should never be allowed to spend "un-supervised" time alone with his daughter again. Further, his contract with NBC should be cancelled. This poor girl deserves much much more....

Oh Puhsleazzz!

36. TO: Juliet Bosch FROM; Stan

Ms Bosch...had the Dad's phone calls been allowed to occur routinely, there would not have been an inappropriate message like that.

Think of what the child is being told about the Dad by the Mom. How the child knows when phone time is yet Mom takes her somewhere...or does not ensure that she is available, etc.

Things like that eliminate Dads. Most divorced Dads don't abandon children, they love them but are blocked.

I am in CT and in this state at least...not once have endless visitation obstruction, phone issues, false allegations, etc ever lead to any issue for my son's Mom. She is allowed to do as she pleases with zero accountability. That leads to missing Dad's and high stress for the Dad's trying to be Dad. Like Baldwin.

He's right.

Posted at 5:30PM on Apr 20th 2007 by stan

To: Stan
From: Are you freaking kidding me!
This child is 11/12 (even Alec doesn't know)is old enough to know when her father is going to call, do you honestly think that this is the first time he has spoken to her like this?Y
You cannot possibly believe that he woke up one day and suddenly became this verbally abusive jerk.
As far as his ex-wife, it doesn't matter how much he obviously hates her, his daughter did not deserve that.
Lets not forget the old saying, you can lead a horse to water.....
Well you call hear the phone ringing, but you don't have to answer it.
Now we know why.

Linda

You are an adult. You should know better than to speak to a child
like this! I used to be a fan of yours but I have no respect what-so-ever
for a supposed "man" who can call a child - especially their own
flesh and blood - such names!

Alan DiCicco

A corrupt kangaroo court, a.k.a. family court, with all members of the Bar; Judges and Divorce Lawyers will always take your money. They have no finacial incentive to resolve any disputes.

They divide and destroy families for profit. Then the mental health system starts making the money.

Custodial parents routinely manipluate children and drive non-custodial parents kooky. Escpecially if they love their children. If they didn't they would walk away.

The parent that holds custody, has control over the X.

Family Court Reform Now! Equal Rights for Parents is staistically better for children.

James

What a pathetic example of parenting! He said

"I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child." This self centered ego maniac is a prime example of a person who is in need of serious mental health treatment.

It is most appropriate that his rantings towards his daughter are made public to prevent any reasonable judge from granting him any type of contact with his daughter. There is no excuse of involving your daughter in the divorce actions of the "adults."

He says it should not have gone public for the effect it had on his child but has no insight at all of the effect his behavior has on his children.

What a pathetic excuse for a human being.

Whatareyoudoing?

NBC has been getting rid of the reponses critical of Alec Baldwin. Not to mention the Va Tech video. What do they have against children? If he had called her a "stringy-headed ho" they may have had to fire him.

Michelle

Alec--you seem very adept at mind games. Your friends said "not to worry too much, all parents lose patience with their kids?" Are you (-------) kidding me? This wasn't losing patience--yes ALL parents lose patience. This was abuse and bullying. You frightened your child to death. You are shameful. Do not compare what crap you pulled here to loving parents losing their patience. It isn't going to work for you this time to blame others. Doesn't matter what happened in the past, or who did what---you screwed up BIG time and need BIG help. My prayers are with Ireland.

Stan

Umm...his book is not specifically about his ex and his child. It's more or less about the Family Court situation, how it does not work, how it encourages situations like this one.

They have had SIX YEARS of this pattern. Dad gets blocked. Mom is not held accountable in any real way. His contact with his daughter is already heavily restricted. He can only call her at certain times. He can only see her in a very limited manner. How many of you go through that? This is very common for a divorced man. Strangely enough..when a man wants and receives priamry custody..somehow things go better as far as schedules and the like go. Many other things too.

Miss Manners

NO EXCUSE. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for talking to a child like that.

an addiction counselor with 40 years of experience

This man is in serious need of addiction treatment. He is a classic alcoholic/addict, blaming everyone else for his problems and taking it out on the people closest to him. He probably doesn't even know how much damage he has done to his daughter by abusing her in this manner. He needs help or to be kept away from her immediately.