Brad Renfro Dies

1/15/2008 8:34 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad RefroTMZ has learned actor Brad Renfro is dead.

The 25-year-old actor was found dead at his Los Angeles home this morning. The cause of death has not been determined, however, Renfro had a history of drug abuse.

Sources tell us Renfro, who had starring roles in "The Client" and "Apt Pupil" had been working valiantly to stay clean, especially since this summer. Renfro had been convicted of several drug offenses, including attempted heroin possession.

Renfro had been filming a movie with Winona Ryder and Billy Bob Thornton. The movie, "The Informers," just wrapped.

Renfro has had a rough time personally since moving from Tennessee to Los Angeles. His parents split, and we're told he did not have real guidance from adults as he tried navigating the treacherous movie industry.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Lori

This is such a tragic thing. When my son told me about Brad I broke down in tears. Since his first movie the Client, I have been a fan of this feisty cutie.

This is going out to the parents of our trouble stars. Why is it as soon as your children become famous and start making big bucks, why do you forsake them, just assume that they don't need you anymore, that they don't need reasurance and guidance from their moms and dads, a hug from their gramma, a pinch on the cheek from their grandpa. Are you selfish realishing in their fame, and your glory that you forget that these children probably need you more than than the average kid does. Oh, please parents of star children, love your babies,( whether they are 2 or 52) hug your babies, tell them how you feel, and if they are struggling in the movie world, go get them and bring them home.

VJ

I thought we were past losing people to drugs. Haven't we learned anything from the 60's? Guess not. While this is tragic, there's no one to blame, but him. What I'd like most is for the media to stop hyping these troubled youths. These foolish people might be someone's idol. It's pathetic.

ivana

how very sad !!!! i ll never forget him ! he ll be 4 ever the best....

lost

So sad, thats 2 young actors in 1 month.not good.Kind of sad that brads death wasn't as well published as heaths.They were both Awesome actors

Kathy-Jo Mike

My heart goes out to the family of Brad Renfro,,, It's never easy to lose a loved one, and I can only imagine the impact it had on them. I pray that you all find peace, and that Brad's soul rests in peace as well. I also pray that the media will allow you to grieve in peace. R.I.P. Brad...

Kathy-Jo

Tami

Brad was to young to go . Was wonderful in the Client and fantastic in Ghost world! Brad would have went on to do great things and make great movies.

WhiteFox

Nice one thanks the for the good info

Phil S

Sounds like a copy cat of Heath Ledger. I'm glad they're both dead. If you can't handle your hard drugs don't do them in the first place. Heath was up all night doing coke and pounded a bottle of sleeping pills into him and renfro mainlined a speedball probably due to a fascination with River Phoenix. I'd rather have a dead renfro and ledger if i could get back River.

Phil S

Seriously, If you do something that is known to kill people... you either have an addictive/destructive personality.. or you simply want to kill yourself. Heath was up all night doing coke and pounded a bottle of sleeping pills stopping his heart. And Renfro took the path of the ever-talented River Phoenix.

It's sad. But it's nobody's fault and you can't stop it. Don't cry over it, be happy. Do drugs. Lots of them. All of them. Figure it out for yourself.

Steve King

Another piece of garbage off the face of this world

grapeapedenver

This is a sad thing! How many more young actors are going to die too early? Life still hadn't begun for these young actors and they will never be able to enjoy life again! Hopefully the young now will learn from the mistakes of the past and choose a better path!

grapeapedenver

Hopefully the next generation of actors will learn from the mistakes of others who have passed!

A.G.

To be thankful to have known and loved Brad is an absolute understatement. He was such a unique, kind and genuine person. A person who would endlessly give to others, a person who never held hatred or ill-will in his heart, a person who always thought positively, no matter how difficult the situation at hand. A person who would bring such an amazing energy to the room, as you could feel (and appreciate) his profound joy for life. His passion for music was undeniable, and being in the presence of him and his guitar always proved to be memorable. You could feel every word and every chord pouring out of him.

Brad had "demons", as some like to say, but I firmly believe that we all do. It's the paths we follow that choose our fate. Some of us are stronger than others, some of us have people who love and support us unconditionally, and some of us are simply searching for guidance. We should never judge or be judged on the mistakes we make. Regardless of Brad's mistakes and imperfections, I (and so many others) could see the genuine goodness inside him. He was the most honest person I'd ever known. He made me laugh from the depths of my belly with his sarcasm and wit. And if you looked hard enough to see it, there was something vulnerable about him that made you want to wrap your arms around him and protect him from the world.

I know he wasn't perfect, and again, yes he made mistakes in different aspects of his life as we all do, but he always had the best intentions for himself and for the people he loved. His heart held the right answers, the right choices. Brad just wasn't strong enough to fight the battles in his head. He's free from all of this now, and the peace within must be overflowing. So if you, too, knew and loved Brad, remembering that is how we can find solace in his absence. I read somewhere that those who have the most difficult struggles in this life are the ones who chose to challenge themselves spiritually and therefore, most often are the ones with the brightest souls. To me, this is Brad. And will always be.

With much love and honor in his memory…a friend.

Peep