Heath Ledger

is Dead

1/22/2008 6:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0122_ledger_ex_1-1TMZ has learned that 2006 Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has died in NY.

He was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3:35 PM ET today. Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime, adding that prescription pills were found near his body.

According to NYPD a masseuse arrived at Ledger's apartment and was let in by a housekeeper. When Ledger didn't answer his bedroom door, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened it and found him unconscious. They attempted to wake him; when they couldn't, they called 911.

We're told when paramedics responded, the actor was in full cardiac arrest. They attempted to perform CPR on him, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 28-year-old actor has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams -- they separated in September, 2007. He plays The Joker in the upcoming Batman film, "The Dark Knight" and is perhaps best known for his groundbreaking role as Ennis in "Brokeback Mountain."

We're told Heath had dinner last night with his model girlfriend Gemma Ward.

homegirl101

Rude and arrogant a**holes making ignorant comments about the DEAD...be mindful of your speech.....KARMA is a bitch.......and .you will reap your just rewards ...believe it!!

???

I'm still in shock that this wonderfully talented human being is now lost to the world and his family. May he rest in peace.

nicky

heath was a really good actor and i was very shocked when i heard the news i will remember him him always in our hearts my heart goes out to heaths family and his daughter

A REAL Cowboy

Err... was it Heath or Heather Ledger who played 'Ennis ' (or was it 'Glenniss '?) in 'that' movie.
With all this confusion I'm kinda confused myself!

karen

OMG, i knew it yesterday RIP

sarahsmiles

Why else would the masseuse call MK when she saw the crime scene. She probably supplied Ledger with cocaine when he was in NYC. When you combine Cocaine with anxiety med it can be deadly. The NYPD is hush-hush about their investigation, of course. It will all come out shortly after the funeral...!

Connie Johnson

I first saw Heath in the Patriot and I knew he would make it big in the movies. I cried when he died in the Patriot and I now am crying because he died all alone, which I can't understand why the mother of his child would not stand by her man, as Nichole Kidman did. My prayers go out to all of his family and fans. I now how what pain and hurt his family is going through and they will be endure pain as long as they live because I lost my 30 year old daughter to cancer. I miss her ever day. The pain in my heart is there until I die.

From what I have read he was a good person and I know he is in heaven in a much better place. May God our father embrace him with his loving arms.

Redphilly

Heath Ledger once said that it would be okay for him to die because he had his daughter to carry on for him. Anyone who was his friend should have chastised him for making such a stupid statement. If being an actor was so difficult for him he should have left. He had enough money. He should have bought some land in the country, near a lake and lived there and just painted the trees and animals or something. He should have taught his baby to swim and to ride her bike. These things should have occupied his mind. That little girl looks like he spit her out of his mouth. She resembles him so much. Now she will never know him in life. It is a terrible shame. Many other actors should consider leaving if it gets to the point where they no longer want to live!!!

KESFILMS

Can't believe it...so sad and unexpected...

Neilbalani2

Only the Good Die Young!!!

Madeline

He was a very talented actor. He had a very wide range in his actor skills. He will be missed.

bijomarumichael

A REAL Cowboy, you seem to be craving the spot light here as every 15 or so comments you think that we need to here "your" comments. Now I know you are mad with heath, as he was your favorite actor before he made " that " movie that you won't speak of, so let me say it, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, but keep that cowboy head up lol.
I don't mean this to become a hate room but this insensitive, pittiful excuse of a man needs to get his owm life and get over BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN go back to the country, ride your buddies......ops sorry ride your horses with your close buddies and do that thing that you do so well.

Side note, you are a westboro baptist arn't you A REAL Cowboy, all you gay haters, what's the problem.......afraid you might enjoy the homosexual life style. How sad that the Westboro baptist church in Amercia is planing to picket heaths memorial service. Talk about attantion whores.

As for Heath, I am truelly sorry to hear of your passing away, you were a great asset to the entertainment world and will be sadly missed.
To Heath's family and friends, you are all going through the hardes of times right now and I offer my deapest condolences at your time of need.

Rest peacefully Heath, you will missed.

Christina

I heard that you died on the radio and I thought that it was a sick joke. Now the days have passed and it still is a shock that you are gone. So many lives you have touched and so many things that you could of still done and now you are gone..Life is so unfair. I hope and pray that you have found the peace that you so sought for in life.

A REAL Cowboy

Didn't you star-struck/hopeful chicks ever notice his slowly receding hairline?
I just saw a picture of his Dad whose haircut makes like 'Kojak' so in just a few short years 'Heathy' too would have been a NUDE-NUT.
Would you all still have thought he was such a 'hottie' then?
I DON'T think so!!

Party 'till you die!

Yeah tuffguy, beats driving around drunk in a pick up truck with some skank floozy you picked up at some bar 'trying', and I MEAN 'trying, to act tough! What's a fun night for you? Get drunk again and go home and beat the little woman because you mac and cheese was cold and your $2 a 12 pack canned beer was warm? Yeah, you life sucks!

Previous 15 Comments | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments