Heath Ledger

is Dead

1/22/2008 6:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0122_ledger_ex_1-1TMZ has learned that 2006 Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has died in NY.

He was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3:35 PM ET today. Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime, adding that prescription pills were found near his body.

According to NYPD a masseuse arrived at Ledger's apartment and was let in by a housekeeper. When Ledger didn't answer his bedroom door, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened it and found him unconscious. They attempted to wake him; when they couldn't, they called 911.

We're told when paramedics responded, the actor was in full cardiac arrest. They attempted to perform CPR on him, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 28-year-old actor has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams -- they separated in September, 2007. He plays The Joker in the upcoming Batman film, "The Dark Knight" and is perhaps best known for his groundbreaking role as Ennis in "Brokeback Mountain."

We're told Heath had dinner last night with his model girlfriend Gemma Ward.

wackywabbit

Heath seemed to be a class act that treated humans well. RIP and we all know you will be looking down and watching over us. We will miss your million dollar smile buddy. God bless you and may be you be sitting at the right hand of the throne. We all know all the negative comments are from ignorance. God loves, and doesn't hate. Peace+

Good Grief It's misstresses.com

I didn't see Brokeback Mountain but it wasn't until a couple of days ago that I realized Heath played "Skip" in The Lords of Dogtown".He fooled me. The best actors are those who can make you forget their real persona and forget that there are cameras just a few feet away in the screenshot. That was a great movie. He has a great body of work and it's a loss for all of us that we won't be able to see what other character he could have brought to life. I bought a used copy of the 10 Things I Hate About You soundtrack, just to get the two Letters From Cleo songs on that cd (remakes of a Rockpile and Cheap Trick songs) Anyway, Godspeed Skip !!

Shantilly Lace

Regardless of how this happened it really sucks that his little girl won't grow up knowing her dad............

sandra canuel

heath, tu m as fait rire ,tu m as émus ,tu m as bouleversé,maintenant je te pleure .sincères condoléances a sa famille. paix. quebec/ montréal.

barbieboo

RIP HEATH!!! I CANT BELEVE UR GONE!!

LEDGER23

HEATH LEDGERS DEATH IS A SHOCK 2 ME EVRYTIME I SEE HIM ON THE NEWS AND THEY START TALKING ABOUT HIM I JUST START FEELING REALLY SAD CUZ ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT IS HIS DAUGHTER.WHEN I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE DEATH N WHAT THEY WERE SAYING I JUST SAID 2 MYSELF HE COULDN'T HAVE KILLED HISSELF.ANYWAY I LIKED HEATH SINCE THE MOVIE 10 THINGS I HAT ABOUT U N PATRIOT I THINK HE'S THE SEXIEST MAN I EVER SEEN LOL N HIS BABY MAMA SHOULDN'T HAVE LEFT EM SHE SHOULD HAVE TRIED TALKING TO EM ALITTLE MORE IDK ALL I KNO IS THAT WILL MISS SEEING HIS FACE N THAT SEXY SMILE R.I.P HEATH I LOVE U

J

Wow....you are such a homophobe "A REAL Cowboy".... I never saw Brokeback Mountain, but I know that it was nominated for many awards. Leave it to a real loser to pick on someone who can't defend himself. (Seeing as he has sadly passed) I don't know how old you are, but in his 28 years of life I can guarantee that he accomplished more than you did in your sorry life. The "good Ol' USA" as you put it was founded on the beliefs of tollerance and freedom. I am not gay, but unlike you I have no problem with the gay populace. America is country of many peoples and many beliefs, respect them or you dont belong in the "good OL' USA"

adhart

RIP Heath!!!! I can't believe he is gone:( He was such a talented actor. He was cut down before his time. I had no doubt in my mind that he would have been the next Marlon Brando. But instead he is the next James Dean. No words can express the pain I feel. He was such a tremendous presence, his death hsa more effect than any other news that has came along since 1/22. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, especially his little girl. Who will never have memories of her father. Who will never have the opportunity to know such a amazing, talented man. Gone but never forgotten

Areyouserious???

It truly amazes me that there are some of you out there that are so hateful, judgmental and just plain nasty.
Do you honestly have nothing better to do then try to tarnish the reputation of a man that did nothing but try to entertain people? So what, he took on the role in Broke Back Mountain... That honestly means nothing more than the fact that he wasn't afraid to try other roles and not get pigeoned holed. Unlike people like Silvester Stallone and others that are just playing themselves in what ever movie they are in. It was a MOVIE that he played a PART in... Get over yourselves... As for all of the other chatter about how or what caused him to die, everyone should just reserve all of there wonderful comments until the corner's report comes back. It hasn't even been a week since this tragedy happened and how many different scenario's have we heard about? Bottom line, whatever your opinion is, a young talented man has lost his life and those that loved him are trying to deal with this fact. For one minute could you TRY to have a heart and silence all of your hateful comments and think how others are feeling at this time?!?!?! I know for some of you it will be hard but please try.

J

"A REAL Cowboy"....I don't believe that your a cowboy at all... Just some sad homophobe who can't get any in real life. Let me call your girlfriend so she can read what you wrote....BAAAAAaaaa BAAaaaAA BaaaAAA... ( yes im calling that sheep you love so much). Just because you have a computer doesn't meen you should use it to bash and flame dead people, By the way....at least learn to type correctly, not like your hillbilly momma "done gone and teached you to speak, cos it makes you sound dumberer than you probably are" (I tried to dumb that down so you could understand it). Your Red-neck is showing...you might want to cover that up.

katie

i loved him sooo much, he was so talented and really hot, R.I.P Heath

whysoshocked

the star-struck lot who live vicariously through the bigger-than-life have repeatedly expressed their dismay and surprise at such a loss. Isn't it what you wanted? How BORING is the n'er-do-wronger in Hollyw00d these days?

If he hadn't been a confused, screwed-up drug addict he wouldn't have caught your attention.

If he hadn't continued down the path of obliteration he would have faded away (again..BORING).

We like to hear about fame, but it's got nothing on infamy ...

Mandy Lewis

God rest your beautiful soul Heath. This is so hard to fathom....... Australia loves you, and we are heartbroken you have left us way oo early. Rest in peace forever. xoxox

Mandy Lewis

For those who are condemning Heath for his amazing acting role in Brokeback Mountain, let this be said - he was a fine ACTOR, ACTING in a role. Do those actors who play murderers face the ire of the public for playing a much more terrible role??? No. Wake up people, he was PLAYING A ROLE, and a fine one at that. He was a son, a father, a friend, and so much more. Let's remember that and let his soul rest in peace and those who loved him grieve with dignity and respect.

Tasha

To 1196, A REAL Cowboy,,,Not. Get a fricking life. Brokeback Mountain was a M O V I E not real life although based on a brave gay cowboy. You must be a homophob and totally insensitive to say such moronic things. I find most homophobic idiots like you are either a religious freak or scared you might be gay yourself! I am a heterosexual who doesn't necessarily agree with the gay lifestyle but hey the world even accepts morons like you. Can't you get over the fact he was in a MOVIE which not only showed the range of his talent but as Heath said in his words he liked roles which stretched his acting abilites. Do you think it was easy playing gay when you are straight? Grieve for his daughter and family he left behind and don't concentrate on what is not even relevant. AND you are not the only one on commenting on this story that focused on insignificant things and not the tragedy of his death or anyone's death at such a young age and with such talent. And that goes for ALL individuals not necessarily celebrities. Now his young daughter is without a Father. Is that what happened to you?

Previous 15 Comments | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments