« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jock Jacked by Naughty Nurses

11/1/2008 1:22 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Richard CollierLooks like the records of sports stars are just as popular as the records of pop stars ... at least among doctors and nurses.

Twenty hospital workers, including nurses, admissions workers and patient relations staff have been fired this week -- accused of illegally accessing and passing around medical records of Jacksonville Jaguars' Richard Collier, according to News4JAX.

Collier was shot 14 times in September after a gunman walked up to his SUV as he waited outside an apartment complex. He was paralyzed from the waist down and one of his legs had to be amputated.

Lest we forget, 5 months ago hospital workers at UCLA were disciplined after accessing medical records without permission ... and we're told the patient was Britney Spears.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

shebakescheesecakes.com

THERE IS NO MORE PRIVACY

2092 days ago

trauma

You mean to tell me that not one single DOCTOR accessed his records?!? Come on, you know they did. The problem is... IF the doctors peeked... they didn't get fired. IF they didn't get fired, then neither should the other LOWER hospital employees. I worked at Shands. I worked along side the attendings, residents, med students, etc. I have seen other patients' records accessed by medical staff that had NO direct patient care with that particular patient. If you fire one... you fire them ALL.

2092 days ago

Proud American

I guess we know who the "sources" are, that tabloids use. They should be facing some criminal charges as well. We trust hospitals to keep our confidences, no matter what. I'm a RN for my local hospital, & this makes medical personel look bad. They should be ashamed, for selling out their profession, and patients, to make a quick buck.

2092 days ago

Twinker

Our whole town is praying for Richard because before he was a Jaguar he was an Apache.

2092 days ago

Quentin

Go Jags!!! All of Northeast Florida is praying for you and your family. I'm glad they caught the SOB that did that to you.

2092 days ago

that.is.all

OMG was a terrible thing that happened to Richard. I hope they caught that freak that did this to him.

2092 days ago

anthony

it sure was a horrible crime towards this football star............. i dont agree with the hospital taking such harsh action.........their HRD department should focus more on the accidental wrong medication problems in all hospitals.......... i guess they simply want to be the center of attention with their action against employees................. as for this crime ....... so does this mean that all nfl players need to get some armored suv's??????????? society is in chaos...........and with the economy upside down all of us need to be carefull since crime is going to be on the rise..........

there is not much to be said towards the permanent injuries that Mr Collier has suffered......i hate to simply say that he is lucky to be alive ............. god bless him and keep him strong..............sometimes these horrible things happen to people and we are not in their situation to simply say "stay strong and be positive" god bless

2092 days ago

lukebandit

normally when you are shot 14 times, you pass away. But God has a plan for Richard. Richard, there is a Bible verse that has helped me through the hurrincanes that hit you in life. it is Phil. 4:13, I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me. God Bless you and your family. I am praying for you.
lukebandit
teresa

2092 days ago

ValoHalo

I feel sorry for this guy because he now can no longer play a sport he enjoyed. I hope that he'll still be active and doesn't give up. It gets pretty sad when people look up your private info. But it is happening more and more in situations like this.

2091 days ago

Rj

Typically since doctors are not employees of the hospital they work in per se there is not much recourse against them. They might be able to restrict privileges and things like that, but that usually hurts the patients and the hospital more than the doctors. That said most likely there were dozens of doctors involved in this case so they and there residents, interns and med students by extension most likely we all allowed to be in this chart.

2091 days ago

Bchbunnie4

Not only did all these people snoop into his records...they also posted info on message boards WAY before the victim even knew what had happened to himself!! They should all be fired!! When you or I go to the hospital its private..why shouldnt it be for people in the media also!!!

2090 days ago