Simpson's Excuse -- I Had an Off Night

2/6/2009 3:31 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jessica Simpson is already explaining her reportedly bizarre, calamity-filled, lyric-forgetting performance in Michigan last night -- chalking the whole thing up to an "off night."

Her rep tells TMZ, "Jessica had an off night. She's a perfectionist and wanted to start some songs over. She always wants to give the best performance for her fans."

Jess' recent wave of bad press continued this morning when a Grand Rapids Press editor who attended the show claimed the singer forgot her lyrics, struggled with her ear monitors, mumbled through songs, fought back tears and asked her band to re-start a song.

At one point in the show, Simpson mouthed the words "I'm sorry" to the crowd.

FYI -- no apology has been issued for the years of the other shows she's done.

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

shirliana

EVERYTIME SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH A RELATIONSHIP SINCE HER MAN TONY WAS WITH A BRUNETTE IN HER OWN BED..... SHE FORGORT THE LYRICS...

EXCUSE...................EXCUSE........................EXCUSE.....................................

2029 days ago

nick

truth and hate are two different things. The truth is she's terribly untalented but she looks good. That's good enough for a 15 year olds taste but it won't sustain her music career much longer. She'll never record for a major lable again. I don't hate her. I just hear no talent in her music.

2029 days ago

lee

jessica has been a mess since she thought she was better then nick im happy for nick an i hope he has the kinda family he deserves jessica lost my repect when she thought she could go up against carrie underwood jessica does not have the class or talent as carrie her an her father need to make up more stories about just to keep her in the spot light because people will forget about her

2029 days ago

I love Jessica

Hey Jessica if u see this I want u to know I don't give a rats butt what happened at that concert YOU are an AMAZING woman Because U are U, and not trying to be cool. TY for always being someone I want my baby girls to look up to. And also I must say u look amazing I had anorexia because idiots like people in those magazine saying u, A beautiful woman with curves, is fat. God Bless and I will continue my prayer that all will be ok.

2028 days ago

shirliana

JESSICA SHUD GO BACK TO HER USUAL SONGS... THE SONGS SHE IS SINGING ** DOES NOT SUIT HER AT ALL ***....
SHE WAS BETTER OFF WITH THE SONGS THAT SHE WAS SINGING YEARS AGO...

SHE CANNOT SING ************* COUNTRY MUSIC **************** BOTTOM LINE

2028 days ago

???????

you see great performers using those earpiece thingys ...these are suppose to help them with the lyrics of the songs they are singing (Celine Dion had shown this on tv once -behind the scenes of her Vegas show)...Didn't Jessica use this at that show? Maybe this is telling her something...telling her to stop that country music dream of hers...stop making excuses....they should have installed monitors on stage for her to read song lyrics just in case she forgets....Saw (in DVD) a supposedly famous singer (Regine ? her full name skips me) from the Philippines using the lyric sheets on stage while performing...thou it made the show more of a big kareoke show than a live concert except that there was no screen for the audience to read the lyrics).....Maybe Jessica should follow this lead....at least there is no way of ever forgetting the lyrics on any song!!!

2028 days ago

ButtLvnBear401

If she is a perfectionist then maybe she should spend more time performing. For the past few years she's been doing a lot of anything but that. I guess it's not like "riding a bike". She needs to "pay her dues" all over again by getting out there & start from the ground up, performing at small venues. She seems to have completely forgotten how to perform. I believe her mother said something similar after her screw up at the Kennedy Center tribute to Dolly Parton, when she butchered & forgot a Dolly Parton song. She hadn't been active before or since. GET THAT CUTE BUTT ON THE ROAD & WORK!!!

2028 days ago

sympathetic

Hey Bad Bill Bo Baggins, you must have a very small unit...you sure have it out for someone you would never have a chance with. Grow up and get a life.

2026 days ago

crystal

Would you bloggers get off her weight already. Move on. Who cares if she is fat or not. The point is this loser doesn't have any talent. Why are all you bloggers defending her bad talent. If I have an off day at work, I am held accountable for it . Who holds non-talented singers accountable when they perform bad. She is making over 30,000 a concert. If she had any dignity, she would give the money back, but no, she takes the money whether she performs bad or not. who wants to see a non-talented singer cry on stage because her loser boyfriend didn't show up. How unprofessional. She has turned on one bad performance after another. The only thing Jessica is good for is humiliating herself. She is a disgrace to the singing profession. I guess Jessica thinks she is to good to rehearse or she is beyond rehearsing. What a joke.

2026 days ago