Weakness in Chris Brown Case -- Prior Attacks

2/12/2009 4:28 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chris Brown , RihannaChris Brown may have gotten lucky because the charge he was booked on is kinda weak, law enforcement sources tell TMZ. But he's still in big trouble, and Rihanna says it's not the first time he's attacked her.

Sources say the Los Angeles County District Attorney kicked the case back to the police for further investigation because evidence that he made criminal threats against Rihanna is kind of thin. Our sources are quick to say he will, however, almost certainly be charged with felony domestic battery, a lesser offense but still serious.

Here's how it went down, according to the police report. After Chris received a text message from a woman who wrote about getting together, an argument erupted. By the way, initially, Rihanna would not tell cops what started the argument.

She did, however, tell them that during the argument, he started hitting her. According to the police report, she ordered him to drive her home and "faked a call" to someone, saying things like, "He's dropping me off. Make sure the cops are there."

Rihanna told cops the fake call enraged Brown. He said something to the effect of "You are really fu**ed up now. I'm going to kill you." This statement is the basis of the criminal threats charge.

At that point, according to the report, Brown allegedly began a violent attack with his fists. At some point, Rihanna took the keys out of the ignition and threw them outside.

And there's this. According to the police report, she told cops this was not the first time Brown hit her. She referred to it as an ongoing and escalating abusive relationship.

We're told the criminal threats charge is based on that one statement Brown allegedly made. As one law enforcement source told us, "It's kinda weak, and the D.A. is not going to prosecute a high profile case like this unless it's solid." That's why it was kicked back for further investigation.

Given the brutal nature of the attack, which the photos clearly show -- contusions on the face, swollen eyes, cut lip, bloody nose, bite marks on fingers and arm -- a felony domestic battery charge is virtually a done deal. That, however, is a less serious offense than making criminal threats.

Jason

He is a B!TCH I would love to fight this punk. I would beat him till he blacked out and then wait for him to wake up and beat him some more. Nothing but an out of control coward. He is so weak and insecure that he has to beat on women to feel powerful, sad piece of trash should go back to the gutter or hang himself. Hope he gets the max sentence and sees some jail time where he can get beat down and see how it feels to fight with men.

Sheila

The bottom line is this. They both need counseling. She's got some mental issues, and he does as well....hence the attraction. I hope and pray that they both get help. Neither of them will get better without professional counseling. She should not take him back unless he get help with his anger and other issues and she needs help as well. I do believe in second chances but not without both of them getting help. Also, if this ever happens again she must run for her life! I don't know if anyone has thought about this but what if he killed her? Many are saying it was her fault, I don't recall that she beat the crap out of herself so how can that be? I'm not saying a woman can not provoke a fight but when verbal turns into physical that is a personal choice that Chris made, she did not make him do that!

Marie

WAY TO GO Chris Brown.... you really know how to live up to the stereotypical view the BLACK MAN! Really threat charge holds more weight than beating someone in the face!?! OMG I just found out the max jail time for rape is 72months but a Drug Possession fine is $1,000-$500,000 & Possession jail time - 4 months-15 years, 15 years max?? But rape is 6max? Wtf is wrong with the Judical System...
Maybe we should go to a village beat the the people in the face while we rape them..Who's in??
I love how some of you protect Chris Brown, would you happen to be a Buffalo Bills fan between 1969-1977 fav player #32 !?! Or maybe you studdied at UC Berkeley under Dr. Theodore John Kaczynski?

tata 318

This is sad but one's he put his hands on her the first time she should of ended then.one's they put there hands on you they think that is ok but god forbet how many times he has done it and i'm glad that she decided to call the cops this time because maybe the next time it would been something worst.people he is not perfect and he is human i just hope this is a big wakeup call for him to keep his hands to his self.you f*****up chris you got big headed and now you have to suffer the consecuence.

usatoday

I believe there is another side to this story. I believe its not being said what Rihanna did to provoke Chris to hit her. I don't believe that this isa case of domestic violence as the public would like to pin on this instance. I am a 34 year old woman who has been hit by a man, but only because I put myself in a man's position by hitting him first. If you hit someone you should be prepared to get hit back..doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman..keep your hands to yourself as I grew up often hearing!

LADY J

AGAIN FOR ALL THE SLOW PEOPLE.........WATCH A THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE THEN PASS JUDGEMENT. BUT SINCE I AM NOT BETTER THAN GOD...I WONT BE PASSING JUDGEMENT ON ANYONE. THAT IS NOT MY PLACE BUT I WILL PLAY DEVILS ADVOCATE AND LOOK AT BOTH SIDES.

WATCH THE D*MN MOVIE FIRST THEN COMMENT.

JJW

The guy is a BUM. It is common knowledge back in her home country of Barbados that he beat her up on a visit there late last year. The bum also trashed her new SUV in a rage!! He should ROT in hell.

HI

WHO WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO THROW THE BLOW. CHRIS WAS WRONG BUT OL GIRL IS NOT TELLING ALL AND TELLING THE TRUTH

babydoll555

Yea it is wrong and he should be punished for what he did but people if this was ongoing and he has abused her before why didn't she turn him in....She is a celebrity and should be setting examples for young children especially little girls... All this says is that it is okay to let a man beat you which it is not..... I love Rhianna and all but it is stupid that she stayed with him and let him abuse her all this time.... Come on girl get it together and show the younger people that it is not right to let people abuse you and get away with it.... I hope everything gets better for her and that she gets her life back on track..... I am a young girl and I feel that I can not look up to her anymore at least for now..... I don't want my role models to send me the kind of message she has sent out now..... I love you Rhianna... PLEASE GET IT TOGETHER AND COME BACK THE RHIANNA WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE

breezy bre

WELL WAT ABOUT CHRIS............YEA I KNOW HE DID IT.........BUT I DNT THINK HE JUS WENT OFF ON THAT GURL 4 NO REASON.....I KNOW SHE MUSTA DID SUMTHIN......ERYBODY KNOW SHE JEALOUSE ANYWAY! Y SHE COULDNT HANDLE HE GOT A TXT FRUM A GURL?!?!? RIHANNA DA ONE BEEN GOIN ROUND KISSIN ERYBODY LIKE KANYE WEST N STUFF! AS SOON AS I HEARD DAT N THEY STAYED TOGETHERI KNEW SHE WUZ GON LEAD TO TROUBLE IN HIS LIFE! AND HE** IF I HAD HEARD SHE GAVE ME HERPES I WOULDA WENT OFF ON DAT BIATCH TOO!

Muggie Mares

I'm really sorry for what happened to Rhianna, but i can't understand that kind of relationship. I'ts so clear that when a man disrespects the woman that he says he loves, either there is a problem with him or he really doesn't love the woman. whichever way, get away from him and stop whatever connection to that jackass and seek help. I really hope that Rhianna opens her eyes and makes sure that he gets what he deserves, which is go to "hell". I'll be so dissapointed in her if she goes back to him. I'ts hard to say, but if she or other woman who's going through the same thing go back to the man that assaulted them just because of "love", they might not be so lucky next time.

Sakhile

To read through the comments and discover that there are those in defence of Chris Brown when it is so blatantly obvious that he misused his strength as a man and violated the trust she had placed in him IS heart-ravaging. The material content of the verbal altercation which led to the physical one is not at issue. No context could furnish adequate justification for Chris Brown's actions, my heart goes out to Rihanna...Riri South Africa is on your side, we will never again suppport Chris Brown or any pathetic idiot who comes to his defence!

jerseygirl

First of all, all you men blaming Rihanna are all probably dead beat losers. Even if Rihanna did start the fight, that does not give Chris Brown the right to touch her.. to beat her like that... is horrible... What we all need to do is gather up all the dead beat women beaters and NUKE all there a$$'s... Punk B*tches!! Chris should get the max... and some one should beat the piss out of him in jail...

Marie

So somebody no names...but somebody posted that taking the keys out the ignition was like walking into a fist....TO YOU:
So, did Gwen Araujo deserve to die for being a tranny? Did the officer's gun just go off by chance when he trying to restrain 22-year-old Oscar Grant at BART's Fruitvale station on East 12th Street around 2:15 a.m... hmmmm? I'm sure he just walked in to it...right !?! O and did Susan Still's home-video of her ex-husband brutally abusing her; calling her “stupid”, “heifer” and a whole lot of other names did she just WALK INTO HIS FIST. Or was is staged by their 13-year old son who caught it on tape?
Seriously I'm so sick of this "well we werent there" BS.. ummmm "hello" did you need to be there when Nicole’s Simpson neck was cut from ear to ear and her head was nearly severed from her body? Just cuz you weren't there didn't mean it didn't happen! One last note: Adam Walsh did he walk into the arms of Ottis Toole?? It disgust me when people say things like "they walked into it" who is this "THEY"....Who the hell walk into a fist, gun, or knife!?!

bruthagainstsmakin

Even though this is a devious attempt by media to get information out, i'm glad it did. People were criticizing and crucifying Chris before the information came out which was wrong. But now that the truth is out, and the picture is out there for all of humanity to see in shock, there can be no denial of what transpired between the two. Chris cannot deny that he hit her, or beat her up. Chris obviously learned this behavior as most people who see domestic violence. Victims and observers of domestic violence too often become victims or victimizers themselves. I hope Chris gets treated like any other assaulter in this case and gets sent to REAL jail. Not preppy, mini-golf and tennis jail, but san quentin!!