Jon & Kate Divorce Papers are Deceiving

6/23/2009 7:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kate GosselinThere's a report floating out there that Kate Gosselin has been separated from Jon for two years. That's not true, and we have the lowdown.

We now know what Kate checked on the divorce papers, which are confidential. There are two grounds for a no fault divorce in Pennsylvania -- the first is waiting 90 days after the papers have been served. Then, if both Jon and Kate agree the marriage is "irretrievably broken" ... the divorce can proceed.

And there's a second option -- that they have lived separate and apart for 2 years. But that doesn't mean they've actually been separated for that long. It means she must wait 2 years from the moment she considered the marriage kaput and began living separately (if only in different bedrooms). We're told the real separation between Jon and Kate is very recent and Kate checked the box just to get the clock ticking.

We found out Kate checked both boxes, and here's why. Jon may not agree that the marriage is irretrievably broken. If that's the case she has to wait the two years. So by checking both boxes, Kate is hedging her bets.

Ultimately, she would have to prove to the judge when she considered herself separate from Jon.

Jon and Kate

Pamela

Kate THE control freak to the very end. Had to be the first to file the papers. Had to explain it in great
detail. Speaks of MY kids, not OURS. The kids will be fine, not too sure about MADY, she's a minnie
Kate. But I'm sure will lovingly drive Mommy totally crazy in her teens.

sweet caroline

The divorce rate for parents of multiples is very high. For disabled children it is even higher. Alot of states have a two year separate and apart provision that can be shortened based on grounds or by agreement of the parties (Illinois has a six month reduced waiver).
I watched the show for the first time last night, as a divorce attorney and mother of twins. I was appalled at the children doing the interviews and the invasion of their privacy. This type of show , and the people who watch it,symbolize the dumbing down of the American people and the low class attitudes/values. It is television at its worst and America at its worst too.

Lil

I am sooooo upset about this. That was the only show I liked on tv. I was even starting to check out the asian guys but now seeing what a immature spoiled jerk he is being ...no thanks, if thats how they are!

Herpes Ho Hilton

He's a FLAKE, she's a BEEOTCH.

PS, her hair looks like it got caught in Vince's Slapchop; she'll have an exciting life now! Snicker

ItsMilly

Well, I know I am in the minority posting here (and Twitter, FB etc) but I liked the show, I like them and if you don't care about them, don't watch, skip over the headlines, blah, blah! I cannot get over how many haters just have to hang out on the sites and pee and moan. If you want to gripe about something, watch some of the MTV shows and come back! LOL What a joke for reality shows. I am sure Kate's attornies advised her to "check both boxes" ... geesh, I don't blame her, whatever it takes to get 'er done! Or else we will be watching "Jon + his date+ Kate + 8" !!!

ToontownJuggalo

I'm thinking alimony for one or two kids can be quite pricey, but 8 freakin' kids, Jon's going to have to get like 30 jobs, just to manage. I think the two of them should invoke the little known (because I'm making it up) "Cheaper To Keep 'Er" Clause. In this, the duo agree to remain married, for financial reasons, only they live individual lives. Kate can boff whatever bodyguards or hired help she chooses, and Jon can nail every co-ed within a 500 mile radius of their home. As long as nobody get impregnated, everything should be fine.

artista

Soooooo, she's gonna have a hard time proving that they lived separate lives. Especially after they renewed their vows just last year and even said that the reason that they're doing the renewal was to show the kids that they love each other and are always going to be together.
Check it, Season 4 Episode 24 titled "For Better or Worse"

Fan of the Gosselins

I cried last night for Kate because I think she has been let down by a lot of people in her life, and now by her husband. I think she is a fragile young woman who is afraid to show how vulnerable she really is and i feel she is very misunderstood. She had to become controlling after the tups were born just to maintain some sense of order in their home and I admired how well she handled it. Their home would have been choas if not for her organizational skills.
Jon, I hope you will reconsider the decisions you are making right now that you say you are so proud of. The best thing you can do if you love your kids is to honor and love their mother. I would like to share this scripture with you. Ephesians 5:25 - "Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church - a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything He does and says is designed to bring the best out of her,dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives...."
What you think will make you happy (in the arms of another woman) are false feelings. You have a much higher purpose, and that is as husband to Kate and father to 8.

Teresa

{Hey PAM @9:41 you posted} thought I should tell you that. They DID cancel the show tonight!! TLC said they have STOPPED the production of the show! It was on my 6 o'clock news if you can beleive that?? I can't beleive how frigin HUGE this show has become the last month or two!!?? WOW
{HeySweet caroline &@ 9:58 you posted!!} WHAT?? Did you reread what you just wrote?? Talk about a contradiction!! You're suppposed to be a LAWYER?? Hmmmmm! I wonder who the "dumbing down of American people are?? and WHO the THE LOW CLASS ATTITUDES OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE BECOME?? HONEY! YOU ALSO WERE ONE OF THE PEOPLE WATCHING THE SHOW!! What does that make you?? Even worse than any of us if you ask me?? WHY?? You might ask?? Because you are supposed to be the LEGAL PART of us "Dumb ass American's!!" who watched the show!! ??? YOU do not make ANY sense at all!
The BEST thing that I heard tonight in all the shnit I have been hearing about this once SMALL TLC family show is that TLC HAS FINALLY STOPPED PRODUCTION!!! FINALLY!! NOW, MAYBE THESE BABIES WILL GET SOME ATTENTION FROM THIER STAGE MOM AND DAD!! Wonder what the first thing they will do with them might be?? I pray!! They pick each one of them up ONE at a time and hug and kiss them for an hour a peice!At Least! Then, tell them alll how THANKFUL you both are for turning thier hum drum life into a MEDIA NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!! You should both be ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!! That's it for me!! I can finally get back to writing in my journal and reading a good BOOK!!

Alee

Kate sells photos of her children for $20? How disgusting is that. I can't think of any other "celebrity" that does that. Oh no, she's not money hungry and she's not exploiting her kids - HA! What's even more disgusting is that people actually pay the $20 for those photos. How sick is that.....?

Kendyl

So if Kate lied of the paperwork, throw her lying butt in jail.

polly purebred

Kate is a fragile young woman? Have you ever watched this show? Kate is many things, fragile isn't one of them.

Those who think Kate was wronged just don't get it. Jon was happy with the twins, but Kate had to have "just one more". This whole scheme was concocted as soon as she found out there were 6. The other pic of her today pumping gas - does that look like a person you should cry yourself to sleep over? Holy crap, I just can't believe the naivete of some of these posters. The woman is a shrew - she deserves nothing but disdain for parading those poor kids in front of TV cameras since the day they were born, for her own financial gain.

Please think of one, just one way this show is benefitting those kids? Do you think they care where they live, or what brand of clothes they wear, or where they go on vacation? No - all they care about is having parents who are respectful of one another, and unfortunately, they only have one of those. Feeling sorry for Kate is a waste of time. Feel sorry for those 8 children who didn't ask to be brought into this world, who didn't ask for their lives to be filmed 24/7, and who will someday realize their parents cared nothing about their privacy or well being. Announcing your divorce on your reality show in the name of ratings and product placement - you can't get much lower than that.

polly purebred

The show wasn't cancelled. Monday's episode will be a "retrospective" of seasons so far, and then the show will go on hiatus while the family "regroups". They have to shoot a new intro, and figure how they're going to draw viewers back in now that the players have changed.

artista

To -Fan of the Gosselins-
Ephesians 5:22 & 23 says, "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body."
I saw several times, when Kate was horribly disrespectful of Jon. She stripped his manhood, quickly, not only in front of millions of viewers but also in front of their children!
I don't side with either Jon or Kate, honestly, they're both at fault.
They can both turn things around, also. It's up to them.
However, if one or both have no desire for reconciliation the marriage has no ground to stand firm.
They have both forgotten what they claimed to be the center of their family............and their children have to sit through it all.

PamMatt

I wish Jon would make amends with all the family and friends that Kate forced him to ignore.
i feel that it would be a wonderful situation for the children, and it would be provide a support system for him.

He did not have easy with Kate. Try and put yourself in his shoes. Can you imagine being told day after day, you cannot do anything right or fast enough. Now, imagine putting up with this for 10 years. If someone tells you something over and over again, and your isolated, you tend to believe it.

I think what we are seeing now, is Jon reacting to being free of her, NOT the children. Imagine how you would feel if you were free of your abuser.

Any person, that defends Kate either lacks intelligence, or is currently a victim, and has no way out of their situation, and have accepted it.

He was the one who took Aaden to the hospital, where was she? She said herself that when she is away she does not call home.
You never see pictures of her playing with her kids, only Jon. She will only play with her kids when the cameras are rolling, at the sextuplets fifth birthday party even the kisses were staged for the camera. While on a recent vacation she told one of her kids that if they splashed her they would be dead meat.

Somebody of authority needs to stand up to her, and make her quiver in her boots.