« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Olympian Claims Nike Peed in His Money Pool

7/9/2009 1:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Just because you're not Michael Phelps doesn't mean anyone can just use your image any way they want.

Olympic hero Jason Lezak -- a seven-time Olympic medalist who is most remembered for swimming the anchor leg of the 4x100 relay at the Beijing Olympic Games -- is suing Nike (and a swimming apparel website) because he claims they used his image in an ad without his permission.

According to a lawsuit filed Tuesday, Lezak does not have a deal with either of them and has never received any payment for the ad.

He is seeking unspecified damages.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

RK

a

FIRST LOSERS.

Billy Marx

yes its true. i only bought my Nike's because of this dude. He deserves billions in damages....trillions even.

Michael Madsen

He gave me a breast stroke.

alicia

who cares

FreeTube TV

Yeah I agree it is odd that they didn't get permission first, but it's kinda odd for him to create a harsh light on a former sponsor it makes people not want to work with you or casts a bad light on how he treats people who team up with him. He should have done it under closed doors or taken it to them directly by suing them it makes them think twice about sponsoring him in the future.

janey

unfortunately monies made from shoe sales out weight legal costs like these. NIKE has and will keep doing this. All hail money hungry monkies.

MY offer is

EXPOSE THE STORY AND STAY WITH IT.....THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP

Frog Man

Nike is not a company blessed with the milk of human kindness.

Lizzer

Russ

this is one very hot dude. I would definitely do his laundry, cook all of his meals and wash his feet for him. He oozes studliness.

SYLVI212

13. I have to take exception to Frogman's comments about Nike's lack of human kindness. I work at Nike, am there right now. I may not always agree with some of the decisions made by this company, but I stand by there rock solid reputation when it comes to helping others in need. Do you have any idea how many thousands & thousands of shoes we give to underprivileged children each year? How much food we donate to food banks? How many school supplies we give out to financially strapped school districts? How many lunches we put together and distribute to our local homeless groups? We do this on a regular schedule. These are not one-shot things that we do once and never do again. We also have an employee program where Nike will match us dollar-for-dollar when we donate to any non-profit organizations. I use this myself, many times a year to donate to my favorite animal sanctuaries. Like I said, I may not always agree with some of the business decisions made, but I stand behind the human kindess issue. Nike is the real deal when it comes to that.

Posted at 3:55PM on Jul 9th 2009 by Lizzer

JUST BECAUSE NIKE DOES MANY GOOD DEEDS DOES NOT MEAN THEY CAN SLIP IN AN ILLEGAL ACT OR TWO IN BETWEEN GOOD DEEDS. USING SOMEONE'S LIKENESS AND/OR NAME WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION TO MAKE A SALE IS ILLEGAL. NIKE SHOULD PAY THE GUY FOR USE OF HIS FAME. IF NIKE IS SO DAMN GREAT, WHY DO THEY SNEAK AROUND AND USE SOMEONE'S LIKENESS/NAME WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION? NIKE IS HUGE, THEY DON'T NEED TO BE GREEDY.

MY offer is

DOUBLE STANDARDS PETE ROSE IS BANNED,,,GOLD MEDALS ARE TAKEN,,,BUT SOME PEOPLE GET AWARDS.BAN MICHAEL JACKSON OR GIVE FREEDOM TO BARRY BONDS

ken

Timberland boots, protect 100% waterproof,

each dual-Classic Timberland Boots, has a line of high-strength nylon sewing, playing double,

stitching holes, which posted a gore-tex. Paper-wide lead, coupled with a soft rings, these Custom

Timberland Boots are absolutely comfortable ! The bottom of every pair of timberland’s shoes

are a central part made of lightweight polyurethane soles facial midline suture. And on the uppers and

then stitched together. And every packet of gum shoes are manufactured by hand, so pairs of shoes

the whole is even more refined look. This is the reason of that Roll-TOP

Timberland Boots do not fade over the years by wear and can withstand rain and snow all the

baptized. This is why the European, especially the Americans love Timerland.

ken

In 1987, air force 1 shoes dropped 61 points to ward off

the Detroit Pistons, 125-120. That illlustrious performance from way back in the day is the subject of

this Mens AF1 light-

emitting . Toned in Pistons blue/red, the I features a premium tumbled leather upper with canvas

accents. A terrycloth fabric Swoosh stitched ‘cross the midfoot finishes things off. The Mens AF1 Low “Detroit Pistons”

will hit House of Hoops and select Mens AF1 Mid accounts this December.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments