Busted Harvard Prof

Drops 'Yo Mama' Joke

on Cop

7/20/2009 4:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0720_gates-1Even the nation's pre-eminent African-American scholar isn't afraid to bust a yo' mama joke -- especially when he's getting busted by cops.

Cambridge police arrested Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. for disorderly conduct last Thursday night. Gates was going into his house when police responded to a call that two black males were breaking in.

According to the police report, 58-year old Gates got into it pretty good with Sgt. Crowley, and that's when ...

"As I began walking through the foyer toward the front door, I could hear Gates again demanding my name. I again told Gates that I would speak with him outside. His reply was "ya, I'll speak with your mama outside."

As you can imagine, the argument got more heated after that and Gates was taken into custody.

Professor -- everyone knows it's "yo' mama." Not "your mama."

terri

key word in all this is BREAKING IN...what the oh so smart man did was act like an ass because he thought he was better than the police. GOOD JOB TO THE POLICE

JANE DOE

TMZ- WHY DO YOU EVEN START RACIAL TENSION HERE?
THIS ISN'T FUN GOSSIP!

white guy

Illinois person

He doesn't sound too educated to me! Why not just work w/the police? They're only there to help.

Illinois person

I agree with #36/Jane Doe, this story has nothing to do with celebrity gossip, so why even go here?

Rodney King

I predict a PBS Special hosted by Henry Louis Gates and Oprah Winfrey titled "One Small Step for Mankind...One Giant Leap Backward for Race Relations."

haven here

Gates had a DNA project going for awhile, and even proved that Oprah's ancestors came from a different part of Africia than she had been lead to believe. She ended up with very limited white blood lines. Gates on the other hand has more white ancestors than black which lead him to joke Harvard would be firing him from his Black Studies professorship.. Nearly all his family in the USA appear white or nearly white. Gates is a good guy. So what if he didn't use black eubonics correctly because he considers himself to be a black American. I like him very much and his classes are some of the best.

BJean

#12 Gotta say "Amen". So many Blacks has a chip on their shoulder and just don't use their head for thinking. What if it had been a burglar. I guess that Prof. Gates doesn't think like normal people. Now we are waiting for Big Al to step in and have his say****??????!!!!!!!

TeamKate

Maniacal Zebra

37. Apparently, an older professorial-looking black male who quickly produced a driver’s license showing he lived there was arrested by police officers who still couldn’t believe he was just an accomplished black guy who owned a home. The police report says that Mr. Gates got increasingly upset that the police didn’t believe that he lived there and refused to leave despite Mr. Gates showing them evidence that he did live there, and they claim that this was appropriate justification for arresting him. I sincerely hope that the police officers involved get fired and the city quickly settles with the top-notch Harvard Law prof representing Mr. Gates.

Posted at 10:10PM on Jul 20th 2009 by white guy

They asked for ID, but he didn't give it, according to AP. He went straight to the race card. If he had shown his ID to the officers responding to a B&E, rather than verbally assaulting officers just trying to investigate a possible crime, there would be nothing to talk about. Instead, he decides that he's being discriminated against because they wouldn't take his word and asked for ID, because everyone knows that NO ONE, EVER, lies to the police.

If there had ACTUALLY been a break in and the cops let it slide because the burglar SAID he lived there, he would have berated them then, too. It seems there was no way cops could be right in his eyes.

NancyDro

I seem to recall a similar scene in 'Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle':

Britney's Lawyer

You forgot. This is Massachusetts. Arresting a black man isn't unusual.

I remember when someone called 911 and reported a black man at the post office. Cops took him to the station. Cops didn't believe he lived in our town.

Turns out he was a Celtics player.

Alibaba

This guy sounds like an a$$hole.

Alibaba

2. Read the whole story over at yahoo news. He was breaking into his own house after his door jammed. A woman reported the incident. Instead of being grateful that the cops responded so quickly to a potential burglary, he got all bent out of shape because he's black and is wearing a huge chip on his shoulder. Black people need to get over it. Hey....I'd be happy if the cops where protecting my neighborhood that well. I'd also be respectful of the authorities and let them sort things out. Just goes to show you, Professors aren't so smart after all.

Posted at 8:15PM on Jul 20th 2009 by Mike

+++

BINGO!

I'm really really tired of hearing black people cry wolf with the word racist. Frankly I think the whole lot of them are racists!

Alibaba

42. This was not racial profiling. This was a Black man who is clearly angry towards cops and white america. Anyone these days seen on a porch wearing backpacks and forcing their way into a door way can be seen as a break in. I have been caught going into my own window( locked myself out) by the cops and got grilled...and i'm white! I was asked to show id and give proof i lived at the said address. I'm sick to death of Blacks in america making a big deal out of stuff like this from cops. Keep it up black america...before long when you need a cop and there won't be one to wanna come save your @ss.Al Sharpton and the black panthers are racist pukes who don't desrve to live in our country!

Posted at 11:48PM on Jul 20th 2009 by Woot