Mackenzie -- 'There's a Time for Everything'

9/24/2009 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

With members of her own family attacking her credibility, Mackenzie Phillips hit the streets of NY last night and defended her decision to go public with the story of her incestuous decade long affair with own father.

Mackenzie Phillips: Click to watch
Although her father John died in 2001 and can't defend himself ... the 49-year-old "One Day at a Time" simply explained her decision by saying, "There's a time for everything."

And, of course, there's a time to sell books ....

Kathleen

he married michelle when she was 16. that tells me all i need to know.

flamingolady

The entire story of her life is tragic. She was not parented by ANYONE. Whatever the truth about this may be, she has paid an awful price for the injustices done to her as a child. I hope she is in therapy, continues to stay clean and doesn't allow promoting this book to get in the way of those healthy endeavors. God help her.

KRAZY KOOKY KLOWN

balls

Ellen

I believe every word. The same thing happened to me and happens to more daughters than you would ever care to know. Nobody in their right mind would lie about a subject like this.....nobody. It is, in fact, a very common occurrence found in the history of a drug addict. Most block it out as much as possible for years and use drugs as an escape. I'm glad many of you don't understand this horrible thing because it means you have not been touched by such trauma. But for those of us who have lived it, we believe it.

becky

I think several of you have missed her points on her doing this book. Point one: she gets it off her mind and out in the open. Have you never held a secret that drove you crazy tell you just told it and you felt better, even if it is to a bunch of strangers. Sometimes it easier when it is a stranger. Point two: She did the book to try to reach out to others who are in her same position. Believe it or not, I would bet there are several women and men who have had most or all of her life experiences. The thing that turned me off yesterday was her on Oprah and was telling us about the night with Aerosmith . She was beaming and acted proud of the fact that he chose her and wanted her from her age of 10. He locked the door and had his way. Now that was sad and just shows you how she thinks of herself.

PAHairston

From the Bible "One day the older daughter said to her sister, "There isn't a man anywhere in this entire area for us to marry. And our father will soon be too old to have children. Come, let’s get him drunk with wine, and then we will sleep with him. That way we will preserve our family line through our father." So that night they got him drunk, and the older daughter went in and slept with her father. He was unaware of her lying down or getting up again.

"The next morning the older daughter said to her younger sister, "I slept with our father last night. Let’s get him drunk with wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him. That way our family line will be preserved." So that night they got him drunk again, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. As before, he was unaware of her lying down or getting up again. So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father." (Genesis 19:23-25, 30-36 , NLT)

Informed

What she is doing is wrong, if this is true she should not have told the world. The man can't even defend himself if it is false. Shame on her! I personally think she is in need of some cash. She is nothing more then Hollywood trash.

susierr

I believe her. I hope the best for her.

Reader

Read "Driving with Dead People" and you will understand why it takes people so long to accept something like this within themselves and how much courage is required to be able to write about it.

Mohammad Javaid

If this story is true. Then, I think, it is not acceptable in any society. We should not communicate such type of stories to others, especially to children. There is a difference between good and bad. Good is good, and bad is bad.

Kate

Poor dead daddy can't defend himself? Get real. I hope he's rotting in hell. John was a pedophile. When a child comes forward that she/he has been sexually abused by the father, an uncle, a neighbor... they become the villian for saying such awful things. This is why incentuous relationships continue. The victim is afraid to tell the truth! I applaud McKenzie for putting her life in writing. I hope more children who have been sexually abused do the same and I hope they name their offenders in books, on billboards and web sites. The only way to stop sexual abuse is to talk about it and to name names. 1 in 3 girls are sexually molested as are 1 in 4 boys. Welcome to the real world.

Kaprice

As disgusting as it all is it seems so true! I don't think she's doing it to sell books!

Honey

Her story literally doesn't add up. She was born Nov 10, 1959. Add 19 years when she claims the "abuse" began = 1978. Add 10 years for the time she claims the "abuse" occured = 1988, when she says she ended the relationship after getting pregnant with her father's child. During this time she was married to Jeff Sessler from 1979-1981, which she claims she was "raped" by her father on the night before her wedding. But in 1987 she had a son, Shane, with her future husband Shane Fontayne.

In my opinion her facts don't add up and her book is a mony grab. I wonder if Oprah will ever have her back on the show to wring her out for writing a novel rather than a biography.

Informed

Kate- Are you stupid? The man can't defend himself at all and you are assuming he is guilty on her say so. Shame on you and shame on her.

Katie

What does she have to gain by making this up? No one would reveal a lie like this just to sell books and make money. You could come up with a million other lies that sell books and don't make you look bad. And you couldn't pay me enough money to say I had sex consensually with my father- you just don't make that up for money. If anyone actually watched the episode of Oprah yesterday, you would have seen these questions answered. She fully acknowledges that this whole thing makes her look terrible, yet she wants to make it public. Why make it public? Why not just go see a shrink and get over it? Because she says she wants to help others caught in the same situation. Because you never hear anyone speaking out about incest abuse, and she wants others to have the courage to come forward about it. She may have been an adult, but parents are in a position of power- you would never think a parent would hurt their child. I think she described it as a sort of Stockholm Syndrome.

And she did come forward about it before his death- she told her sister Chynna in 1997. Everyone keeps saying what a coincidence it is that this comes out around the time she releases a book- that's because the whole thing is revealed IN the book!

If someone abused me, and they passed away before I had the courage to speak out about it, I'm not going to keep it in when I do find that courage just because they died. That's ridiculous.