Anka Gets 50% of Publishing Rights

10/12/2009 8:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paul AnkaMichael Jackson's estate just got a partner it didn't bank on -- because we've just learned Paul Anka is now a 50% partner in the publishing rights to "This Is It."

Anka will get other profits as well, but the publishing rights are usually the big ticket item, and sources say Michael Jackson's estate has agreed Anka gets 50%.

It's amazing ... when Paul Anka woke up this morning he had no idea he'd get the same cut as Jackson's estate. Sadly for Sony ... they didn't know either.

seeking the truth

I'm sure MJ would rather Paul gets 50% as he would acknowledge he'd written it with him not like Sony who are a disaster in all of this.

Remember Michael hated Sony - watch him say that here in his speech about Sony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW1T1DZdWrA

randi

Sony----what goes around comes around. It should be an embarrassment to them. You were in such a hurry to try and make a buck off Michael, you're starting to screw up and I hope this cost you dearly.
This just goes to show you why Michael did not like sony.
The public is now starting to see what Sony is really like, and I can't quit laughing at their screw up

l

Sadly for Sony?? Eww Sony sucks

a fan

They did not need this song for the cd or the movie. They could have used any other song. It was not going to be part of the O2 concerts. Branca and McClain just cost the estate a boatload of money by their mistake.

Knyte

I agree, Anka should be given a cut, but 50%?! Fair enough the dude co-wrote but the record that gonna bring in big bucks is sung by Michael and his brothers. 25%-30% i think would of been a fair cut considering the Anka dude didnt have to goto the trouble of recording, publishing it and promoting it.

truth

Of course Paul Anka deserves 50%. Gee, how stupid is Sony. I wished they would have realized this before. Maybe they wouldn't have chosed this song and put out a better on, more fitting Michael. If Paul Anka didn't squander his money, he should be a multimillionaire in his own right. Anyone who is not familiar with him, just Google him. You'll see what I mean.

a fan

Paul Anka's heirs will end up with what should have been Michael's kids money.

Knyte

I honestly dont think Anka should of been given 50%, they both wrote it yeah..but Michael put in the extra hours to record it. And its Michaels vocals that will sell it.

Scott

Just wait till Michaels mom gets ahold of this LOL there is gonna be a lot of stuff coming out from the Jackson camp. I bet she goes to court again to have a certain lawyer removed from the estate and replaced with her.......this is far from over.

liz

No one feels sorry for Sony. Glad Paul Anka got recognized for his effort in writing the song.

randi

What's really sad is that Michael trusted Branca and Branca screwed up BIG time for the Jackson estate. To be fair, since the Jackson's had nothing to do with this, Branca should pay 25% out of his pocket and Sony pay the rest.
This shows you what greed does to a person/company.
Plus, this was only a demo, MJ would have never approved this song this way, he would have perfected it and also put Anka's name on there.
Sony was in such a big hurry to start watching those dollars come in, but as Michael sings hehehehehehehehe.

janalal4

This just goes to show you why Michael did not like sony.

Posted at 8:11PM on Oct 12th 2009 by CHRIS

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/12/michael-jackson-paul-anka-this-is-it/2#comments#ixzz0TlppBGNj

I'm confused about something. If Sony released this song & is the one responsible for screwing up; haven't they actually cost the 'Jackson' estate money. Won't they get 50% less royalties because of this than they would have had this been only MJ's song. So hasn't Sony once again screwed Michael Jackson?

They were in it for the money

Yes, this is great for Paul Anka and to heck what Sony says. They apologize now, but what were they thinking when they were planning this re release? They thought they were going to coast on this-Yea...Right!
Ha! Sort of funny, another Salvo launched against Sony and at least 1 of the Jackson brothers. No matter where or what that brother is involved in, it seems to go right into the toilet-Bad Karma is all around him. I hope everytime someone tries to do a wrong against Michael that Karma comes to get them. This is proof Michael is looking down and smiling.

MJ

Oh my God what a day to day. MJ you are really one of a kind. I truly believe you are with angels and they are looking out for you. What a dramatic day. Geeez

truth

Actually, the song is not that great. If I were Paul, I wouldn't ge around bragging that I wrote it. Obviously Michael wasn't too crazy about it.