Oprah -- Double Standard on Domestic Abuse?

10/30/2009 8:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah took a hard stand on Chris Brown, but just a few days ago the talk show host allowed another famous alleged woman-abuser on her show -- and now the victim says she feels betrayed.

Oprah -- Double Standard on Domestic Abuse?

The man in question is gospel singer BeBe Winans -- who is accused of shoving his ex-wife Debra Winans to the ground in front of their kids back in February. BeBe was on "Oprah" on Friday to pimp out his new gospel CD -- his domestic violence charge is pending until another court hearing next year.

Debra tells TMZ she's "hurt by Oprah's decision to have Bebe on the show" -- especially after she refused to have Chris Brown on her show in the wake of the Rihanna beating.

Calls to Oprah's people were not returned.

hate her

I hate to say it but everyone is exactly right about Oprah.

IT WAS SO NOT FAIR FOR HER TO TAKE JUST ONE SIDE OF THE CHRIS BROWN ISSUE WHEN RIHANNA STARTED THE FIGHT.

HOW CAN SHE POSSIBLY JUSTIFY CRUCIFYING A 19 YEAR OLD KID, THEN EMBRACING A FULLY-GROWN MIKE TYSON AND BOWING AT JAY-Z'S FEET.

I STILL LOVE HER BUT IN THIS SITUATION SHE WAS WRONG.

JUST WANT TO MAKE MENTION OF ONE MORE THING. DO ANY OF YOU REALIZE THAT RIHANNA DID NOT GO TO THE HOSPITAL FROM THE SCENE OF THE ACCIDENT. SHE TOOK HERSELF TO THE HOSPITAL LATER THAT NIGHT. THAT'S WHAT THE REPORT SAYS. IF SHE WAS REALLY HURT THAT BAD SHE WOULD HAVE GONE TO THE HOSPITAL STRAIGT FROM THE SCENE. THE MEDIA MADE A CIRCUS OUT OF THIS AND OPRAH HELPED TO PUSH IT ALONG.

CHRIS WAS WRONG AND RIHANNA WAS WRONG. PEOPLE NEED TO LOOK AT THE TRUTH. IT IS NOT O.K. FOR GIRLS TO HIT BOYS EITHER.

Canadian bred

Honestly Oprah has a history of contradictions..let begin..although I condemn domestic abuse that goes towards both parties..Chris Brown was wrong, but I believe Oprah should of gave himself to explain himself..not only contadiciton with this Chris brown situation..what about Mike Tyson..did'nt he abuse his ex wife?? or how about Oprah's stance on Rap music?? she condemns individuals like 5o cent?? and others - buy the way I cannot stand 50 cent??..but meanwhile she had an artist like Jay-Z on..who openly talk about selling drugs and built his empire on rapping about thug music..and supposedly oprah loves Jay-Z..or how about when Micheal Jordan was on, Cheated a number of times on his wife..with god knows how many woman, but Oprah welcomed him with open arms, and basically shed light on the situation. How about then Presidential candidate George bush,..I believe it was year 2000 when he was pushing for his election.. he was on the Oprah show..I remember vividly, and someone in the Audience yelled out, that Bush's agenda was to push for war. What did Oprah do?? she kicked him out of the Audience.Oprah has her own agenda, she has an elite group of friends, and supposedly are all Free Masons..Joran, Rihanna, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Obama, do the math..

alreadybad

Why is anyone surprised? She has always been phony.

ralphie the one-eyed

I haven’t watched Oprah since the mid 90’s when she accused some brothers with tattoos and scarification of being pro-slavery. Just because they had tattoos and scars.

Oprah lost her damn mind that episode

She earlier discovered that movie theater buttered-popcorn contains real butter. I’m not kidding. She spent a whole show on this.

olddrunk

Opie hasn't changed. She has most certainly always been this narrow minded and bigoted. Look back on her earlier shows. Old white women like me made her rich because we refused to believe that she wasn't fluffy Op. She's a judgmental cow just like me. And a drunk. Just like me. Why do you think she can't shake off that fat. Hard to stay trim when you're drinking. Experience, chittlins.
Here's to Op but mostly to me.

LYNETTE

I SAID IT IN THE BEGINNING THAT THIS SITUATION WAS PUSHED WAY OUT OF CONTROL!!! OPRAH ROASTED CHRIS BROWN WITHOUT CONVERSING WITH HIM ABOUT THE SITUATION AT HAND. HER FRIEND GAYLE KING WAS ON TV WHEN ASKED ABOUT THE CHRIS BROWN SITUATION SHE THRU HER HANDS IN THE AIR TO SAY I DO NOT WANT TO DISCUSS CHRIS BROWN WHATSOEVER, AS IF ANYBODY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT HER OPINION!!!! I DO NOT CONDONE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE BUT THIS YOUNG MAN HAS APOLOGIZED FOR HIS ACTIONS, HIS LIFE GOES ON AND I WISH HIM MUCH SUCCESS!!!!! LOL CHRIS

Mab

KD,

Tyson didn't serve time for raping his own wife. He served time for raping a beauty contestant who was not his wife.

THE CHILDREN ARE NOT BEING PROPERLY SUPERVISED...PERIOD!

OPRAH bashed Chris Brown on national TV but she welcomes woman beater Mike Tyson, and Winan.

IF BRAD PITT HIT ANGELINA JOLIE, OPRAH WOULD HAVE HIM ON HER SHOW THE NEXT DAY.

FAT BYTCH!!

THE CHILDREN ARE NOT BEING PROPERLY SUPERVISED...PERIOD!

Oprah had Jayz on her show who gained most of his money from being a "drug dealer", but she refuse other rappers....

OPRAH get it together....

kent

jakeman

Newsweek magazine had it right in it's cover story "Crazy Talk" a few months ago about Oprah. Listening to this woman gushing over her crazy guests will kill you..from crazy diets to sweat boxes. This woman's show is dangerous!

kent

I think Oprah made the right decision. There's no proof this guy beat anyone. With Chris Brown he beat that girl black & blue. And Oprah never refused to have Chris Brown on. It was Chris Brown refusing to answer any tough questions forcing Oprah to scrap the interview.

THE CHILDREN ARE NOT BEING PROPERLY SUPERVISED...PERIOD!

79. I love Oprah & she can do what she wants. It's her show. She didn't have Chris Brown on because he told her producers that certain questions were off limits.

Posted at 10:51AM on Oct 30th 2009 by Alice

-------------------

Alice, if you tell some at least tell it all, the reason Chris didn't want to answer some of the questions, it would have meant that he would have to throw Rhianna under the bus, and tell her part in that fiasco THAT SHE CAUSED!

kent

I'm starting to really like Oprah & find I've been watching Oprah a lot more this season especially since her fantastic interview with Whitney Houston. I don't see any double standard since this guy has only been accused & so he's innocent until proven guilty. And when you've done 10,000 shows, it's impossible to be 100% consistent anyway.

Mab

Jaze,

You forgot to mention Mike Tyson, he was also on her show! He was accused of abuse and convicted of rape, I think he served six years.