Brittany Murphy

Dies

12/20/2009 3:37 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1220_britney_murphy_ex_getty_94463366-1Brittany Murphy died early this morning after she went into full cardiac arrest and could not be revived, multiple sources tell TMZ.

She was 32.

A 911 call was made at 8:00 AM from a home in Los Angeles that is listed as belonging to her husband, Simon Monjack, the Los Angeles City Fire Department tells TMZ.

We're told Murphy was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center where she was pronounced dead on arrival. Her time of death was listed as 10:04 AM.

Murphy starred in such films as "Clueless," "8 Mile," and "Don't Say a Word." Murphy was reportedly fired from last film, "The Caller," after reports she was problematic on set.

UPDATE 3:11 PM ET -- Sources tell TMZ Brittany Murphy's mom discovered her unconscious in the shower. We're told when paramedics arrived, they quickly determined Murphy was in full cardiac arrest and immediately administered CPR. They continued CPR in route to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center -- several miles away -- and Murphy was unresponsive. She was pronounced dead at the hospital.

We're told the LA County Coroner's is picking up Murphy's body from Cedars later today and will launch a death investigation.

UPDATE 4:00 PM ET -- We're also told the LAPD has launched a death investigation.

UPDATE 4:07 PM ET -- A rep for Murphy tells TMZ, "In this time of sadness, the family thanks you for your love and support. It is their wish that you respect their privacy."

UPDATE 5:21 PM ET -- Two LAPD officers were just spotted going into Murphy's home.

UPDATE 5:34 PM ET -- A neighbor of Brittany's tells TMZ she saw Brittany getting taken out on a stretcher with paramedics performing CPR. The neighbor said Brittany "looked dead."

UPDATE 10:00 PM ET -- Through Brittany's rep, the family released a statement: "The sudden loss of our beloved Brittany is a terrible tragedy. She was our daughter, our wife, our love and a shining star. We ask you to respect our privacy at this time."

Remembering Brittany Murphy

chrissy

That is very sad and I did not see that coming. My heart goes out to her family, especially her mom. Brit was an only child and from what I know did not have any children so it has got to be very tough on her mother to have to bury her daughter and ontop of that her only child and not have any grandkids

Ballistic

Yea.. it was probably lifestyle related. Could have been her very thin weight, could have been some recreational use. The industry she worked in sort of encourages both. Whatever the cause... 32 is pretty darn young, and I feel very badly for her family. What a suckass Christmas this will be for them. :(

tannabgood

36. Wow! Did NOT see that coming at all. Was never a fan of hers but how sad!!

And to the morons already saying it was anorexia or drugs, stfu! You don't know that. Yes it is possible for a 32 year old to have a heart attack!! It's not common but it happens (without drugs and/or anorexia). The woman is dead!!! Show some respect and shut up!

Posted at 1:53PM on Dec 20th 2009 by Nikki W

My thoughts exactly on all counts, Nikki W. She wasn't the best actress but good grief...Poor gir's body isn't even cold yet...Freakin' ghouls...

Ashley

I agree with Nikki. Not cool to just start flinging around accusations. She could have been a drug addict or she could have a had a condition. There's always those weird stories of people dropping dead because they didn't know they had something that could be exacerbated by a number of things.

Why don't you wait to see what it was before you start slinging people's names through the mud.

Moi

Wow, this is unbelievable

Sunshine

This is unexpected! She looked just fine a couple days ago...Thats sad.

Lee

To comment #28 with the poem Entitled "death". (comments are sometimes deleted or change their numbering).

That is a wonderful poem and I hope you don't mind if I copy it and share with your son's name on the bottom?

Johnson

Smoking could be the culprit. Heart conditions can happen at any age.

Heart disease can be caused by high cholesterol, high blood pressure, smoking, stress, poor oral hygiene, among other factors. Drugs aren't always the reason why people die from heart-related issues.

Either way, this is a tremendous loss for her family, friends, and fans. Rest in peace.

Lavender

bad year for stars..they're dropping like flies...

Diane

My first thought when I saw her photo from Dec. 1st was she's suffering from an eatting disorder and then a previous post mentioned the same thing. I've noticed over the years she seemed to be getting thinner and thinner...so sad...people feel they have to be super thin. Very sorry to learn of her death, hopefully she's at peace, no longer plagued by peer pressure.

Rich

I bet her bf had something to do with it....we saw her at her latest premiere and she was super skinny and just not 'right'....so so sad....such a sweet girl....

Donna

She looks anorexic. She was brilliant in Girl Interupted. This is unbelievable.

Erica Joplin

Wow! Usually U see it coming when a celebrity kicks it. I haven't seen her lately but I wouldn't have guessed it was an eating disorder. I thought, from what I've seen, that she looked good. Then again, you never know what ppl have going on behind closed doors. If I had 2 guess, I would think drugs were involved. This is freaky 2 me b/c she is only 1 year older than I am. Idk, not like her ppl read these, but if they do, I am so sorry 4 your loss & my best wishes R with U.

hahahaha!

yeah tannabgood, a celebrity died at a young age from cardiac arrest now let's all be respectful and not discuss a thing about it. yeah right.

Lareina

spare a thought for her family and loved ones that might be reading this post, and be thoughtful in what u write, you may be 100% right, but i don't think that speculate in such a disrespectful manner is a good thing.