John Mayer

Sorry for Dropping

the N-Word

2/10/2010 6:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

John MayerJohn Mayer is apologizing for using the N-Word in that explosively controversial Playboy interview in which he compared his penis to a white supremacist.

During the interview, Mayer stated that "black people" love him -- and then he brought up the topic of a "hood pass."

While explaining the meaning of a hood pass, Mayer said, "It's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a n*gger pass."

But moments ago, Mayer issued an apology, via Twitter, saying "I am sorry that I used the word. And it's such a shame that I did because the point I was trying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself."

Mayer added, "It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it, because I realize that there's no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged."

Mary

This guy has always been a first class ass. Can we all agree to stop buying his stuff so he'll go away? Ishy...

judy

There is NOTHING intellectual about this IDIOT. He's done. Stick a fork in him. Case closed.

samsam

Ok. So I am a 27 year old intelligent, BEAUTIFUL :) (REALLY I AM)black woman, While I have always LIKED JOHN MAYER and never really cared or much less delved into what he says and what is going on in his PSYCHE I have to say this one really PISSED ME OFF. I am not so upset that he like many other races used the N-word as I am at the fact that I will now have to DEFEND MYSELF to my friends for going to his concert next month and that I now have to SELL my other TICKETS because none of my FRIENDS (who are not all BLACK) will come with me. I am also offended that his SCHLONG is a racist, what a waste :). The one thing that I want to is give you'll and JOHN MAYER the real meaning of "HOOD PASS".

HOOD PASS - THE ABILITY TO SIT OR HANG IN A ROOM FULL OF BLACK PEOPLE AND NOT HAVE ANYONE ASK "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAZY LOOKING WHITE PERSON DOING HERE?".

A "HOOD PASS" in no way gives any white or non-black person the ability to say the 'N-WORD'

P.S. No one should ever use the world as it still and always will have a lot of pain behind it.

I STILL LOVE YOU JOHN- JUST WATCH YOUR MOUTH!
A

Old Enough

Why is it that people are outraged w/ John Mayer and his behavior but are willing to give Mel Gibson a pass? Sorry but Mel being drunk means that he was saying what he really thought without a filter. If you're going to be up in arms about Mayer you need to be up in arms about any celebrite that says a racist or a bigoted remark no matter which race or religion its about.

melissa

What's the big hairy? Black guys call each other the N word all the time! HuHhH hwawhhhaat who gives a f*k..they're allowed to use it as a friendly term but a white dude isn't? HAHA..hypocrites!

me

Yep, that's beyond douche-y. John, quit talking NOW, no seriously, please quit talking.

ladyluck302003

Taking a black friend to do some shopping at Reparation Hardware. This is a tweet from him on dec 9 2009 he has an issue.... He is my favorite aritst but i too have lost respect for him!!!!!!

Weezer

i read the whole interview & if i hadn't heard his music before i read it, i would have thought i'd have to go and find some of his songs immediately - in the interview, he sounds amazingly interesting & honest (whether you agree with him or not) but his songs end up sounding like every other can of pop. much better to read the lyrics than to listen to them

tyrtujhtygjfgx

Who cares. Black people call white people all sorts of racist things on tv and in music and no one cares. Black people want equality and want people to stop using racist words but then they turn around and do it themselves. That to me does not solve the issue when you keep it going.

Jules

What a total d-bag. I wish he'd just go away already.

bajasmoke

Dumbass white boy...... and yes i said boy. I'm surprised this fool don't date himself. He has no talent and just showed the world that he is in fact A DUMB ASS!!!!!!!!!

Villcat

...Black Women all over the world can breathe a sigh of relief and sleep easy tonight knowing that the ignorant,racist,immature, mildly talented, douchey, shifty closet homosexual..(no offense to the homosexuals out there)..known as John Mayer, isn't interested in them sexually or otherwise.

Thank God for small mercies!!

sharon

this man needs to learn to keep his mouth shut, in magazines, twitters and any other medium...everytime he opens his mouth he confirms that he is a douchebag.

Pari

He's a douche bag, the more he opens his mouth attempting to be 'intellectual' he makes it painfully obvious that he's a douche bag. I'm a black woman and I'm not at all offended by what he said about the N word or not liking black women. Ok he doesn't want black women. That's ok this black woman doesn't want him, so oh blah dee. I am however offended as a woman that this jackass would discuss the sexual activities of Jessica Simpson a woman he had a relationship with. that's just tacky. This man needs to see a therapist to help him with his delusions of grandeur.