« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods

Screws the Paparazzi

2/18/2010 12:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

It was the holy grail -- the most sought after image in the world -- but when the first image of Tiger Woods was released through Getty Images yesterday, the move blocked the paparazzi from their million dollar shot.

Tiger Woods Run
TMZ has checked around with some major paparazzi agencies, who tell us the first picture of Tiger could have scored them more than $1,000,000 in worldwide distribution profits.

But when the image was released through Getty Images -- a non-paparazzi, subscription-based photo agency -- the value of the photo plummeted ... as most major media outlets got the pic essentially for free as part of their deal with Getty.

FYI -- Just 24 days before the shot was taken, Getty had announced a "multi-year" deal with the PGA, in which both sides touted the move as a "strategic partnership." Turns out, they were right.

We called Getty for comment -- but they're on lockdown.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

bob

the photographer that shot these photos maybe got a day rate of $250 a day, he lost a million dollars,,,, getty images and wireimages are trying to put a monopoly on celebrity photos,the fcc should look into there practices on celebrity photos and video images,

Mariah

Actually, as much as I can't stand him, that was pretty brilliant!

Jason

What a douche. An idiot too.

How to cheat: Give your lover a prepaid cell phone. Set it up so that it's area code is in the same one you are. Do NOT set up the voicemail. Do NOT give ANY information to them when you activate/set it up.

Have a code word so she/he knows it's you. Use the word EVERY time before texting or calling. It's easy! Duh.

hoocheekoo

I think Tiger Woods handled his marriage and family life very poorly. He may still pay the ultimate price. But, honestly, in the aftermath, I think he's handled the media perfectly. He's made sure to keep his private life private and taken control. Putting out the first photo is brilliant! It takes the incentive of money out of the paparazzi stalking. I have no idea how his personal story is going to end but if there's a silver lining in all of this, it's that Tiger has given an example for other celebrities to go by when their personal lives come off the rails, which happens to a lot of us if we live long enough. I just wouldn't want my mistakes plastered all over the media. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that. But since he's in that position, I like the way he's handled this.

justice4MJ

Tiger looks fat

JoeP

CLEARLY you're not asking us to sympathize with the paps??? You're joking right? Why hasn't anyone gone postal and went on a pap smear yet? That would be cool, we could have everyone swarm around and snap photos of the dead and injured paps.

TEXAS PRINCESS

go tiger go!!!!!! screw the paps ...they are intrusive creeps
I DON'T BLAME YOU ONE BIT FOR NOT GETTING CAUGHT UP IN THE MEDIA FRENZY. I HOPE TOMORROW YOU SAY "I'M VERY SORRY TO MY FAMILY". THEN GO PLAY GOLF!!!!

joe

Jessica

Tiger is a AHOLE.
He makes me want to vomit

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4