Brittany Murphy -- 109 Mystery Pills

2/27/2010 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany Murphy obtained a prescription for 120 hydrocodone (Vicodin) pills 11 days before her death .... and the day she died there were only 11 pills left in the bottle ... TMZ has learned.

What's more we've learned the L.A. County Coroner's Office cannot locate the doctor who prescribed the pills and they are on the hunt to find him.

According to the Coroner's report on Murphy's death, the pills -- which we've learned were prescribed specifically to Murphy -- were supposed to be taken a maximum of 4 times a day. Yet 109 of the pills were missing from the bottle when she died. If Brittany had maxed out on the prescription, only 44 pills should have been missing.

So why were so many pills prescribed in the first place? That's what the Coroner wants to know. The doctor's name on the pill bottle is Cohen, but so far the Coroner can't locate him. A member of the Coroner's Office went to Brittany's husband, Simon Monjack, to assist them in locating the doc, but we're told Simon was no help.

The cause of Brittany Murphy's death is listed as "accidental" -- the result of pneumonia, along with prescription and over-the-counter drugs.

UPDATE: Simon Monjack contacted TMZ and says the hydrocodone prescription was not Brittany Murphy's. He says it was written for either Sharon Murphy, Brittany's mom, or himself -- he said he was unsure.

Monjack also says Dr. Cohen did not write any prescriptions for Brittany.

As for the 11 hyrdrocodone pills that remained in the prescription bottle for 120 pills -- Monjack says yesterday morning, after we published this story, he and Sharon located 73 pills from that prescription.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Dirt Burger

First again! I'm the best, sorry to all you other TMZers

Kelly

her husband said she didn't use drugs, he didn't say anything about her selling them!

Jethrow

YAWN...every star in hollywood pops hydrocodone like mentos ..What's new?

Jake

Her cause of death was being married to that guy. Sinister bas***d.

kidneydonor

LIFE PANELS. The ailing father of CNN reporter Kieth Olbermann tells him: HELP! - - HELP! - HELP!

Feb 24, 2010 ... "Last Friday night, my father asked me to kill him." Keith Olbermann opened his emotional Special Comment on CNN on health care Wednesday ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../keith-olbermanns-emotiona_n_475973.html

KEITH OLBERMANN ANNOUNCES "MY FATHER ASKED ME TO KILL HIM ...
- 7 hours ago Olbermann began by saying, "Last Friday night, my father asked me to kill him." Olbermann said his hospitalized father had not awoken since that day and ...
Gather.com - 17 related articles »

They were in it for the money

Somethings very fishy with the husband and her mother. Something is going on there. Too acted out on Larry King and just weird.

Qragsdale

I can take up to 10 Vicodine a day 7.5. especially when i'm sick. the pain goes away, and you just feel better. when i get them i get about 75. depending on how sick I am, 75 will last me about 6 days. I don't ask for refils, I don't need them. I have a tolerence and for some reason i can go without them for a while until something else starts to hurt.

Heather

Not necessarily true...as an RN i know that prescribers can order vicodin for 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours for pain. Depending on the strength, she may have taken up to 12 a day. Vicodin consists of tylenol, in which there is a 4000mg daily limit, otherwise liver damage can result. Assuming that she was taking 5mg/500mg (hydrocodone/tylenol)-the standard dose- she could have takin anywhere from 88 to 132 tablets in those 11 days....

Laughing

Something about this whole story just doesn't make sense. A pharmacy is required to have contact information for any doctor for whom they fill a prescription. (It is on the prescription form) If the coroner wanted to get in touch with the prescribing physician all they would have to do is subpeona the info from the pharmacy. They wouldn't need to contact the family at all.

Quinitia

Geez TMZ - do some damn math. If she took 2 pills 4 times a day and there were 11 pills left:
10days x 8pills a day = 80
80 plus 11 = 91 so not that many are missing. Stop trying to find crap where none exists.

sound

There is just something about Simon that doesn't sit well with me. I've seen his interviews and I saw his reaction after her death in their driveway in addition to the 911 call. Then his appearances after Brittany's death? Also, the mom and Simon seem too close to me, like lovers act (putting her hand on his knee during the interview, holding hands, calling him sweetie and honey, etc). Is he romancing her, too? Everything was left to the mom so I can't see him letting his meal ticket get away.

Henchy

i think Simon and his mom need to be investigated..given the media twist info provided..The whole cash cow campaign by him and the Foundation are suspicious..Thanks for doing your research. Not sure why he is not a suspect. Either she was abusing and/or if he knew, was not looking out for the girl he loves..

Heather #2

First off I completely agree with Jake & I Said It. I feel that Brittany would still be here if she didn't have that psychotic, controlling & just simply slimy husband in her life. I missed the Larry King episode sadly, but heard how strange of a relationship it seemed that Brittany's husband & mother had & how they came across on TV together.

As for the seemingly large amount of Vicodin that was used over those 11 days there are many simple explanations. One she herself didn't take all those herself. Even though we know she took them, her mother is sick & who knows about the slimy husband taking any. I doubt they we so hard up they were selling them as one person brought up. Another simple explanation has also been brought up already by qRagsdale & Heather, by the way love your name :o) I know first hand what the other Heather is talking about. Every person’s body reacts to medication differently & a tolerance can be built up over time. Me personally I have 6 herniated disc's in my back & 1 in my neck. At one point I was taking 12 pills a day & they still didn't give the relief that taking 1 every 4 hours when I began taking them. But it is fishy that this "doctor" can't be found & slime ball isn't helping. He ruled & ran her life & I'd be surprised if Brittany was ever out of his grasp for more than 20 minutes. He knows where these Vicodin came from.

The whole thing makes me sick!! Brittany was such a bubbly, outgoing lovely person from what I saw and heard. But this slime ball husband of her's I feel has some responsibility in her death. I can hear him saying "you will get better, no need to go to a doctor". And sadly she listened to him & we know the tragic out come. Just remember there were other people in the household with access to those pills, so no one can say Brittany herself took all of them.

Ultraworld

120 pills is 30 days worth. Standard dose.

Fred

Is it illegal to take more than the doctor said to on the perscription? I accept that it is stupid but is it illegal.

Supose someone was searched and a formula for how many pills should be in the bottle was used; could someone be arested because the numbers do not match the perscription?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments