Brittany Murphy -- 109 Mystery Pills

2/27/2010 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany Murphy obtained a prescription for 120 hydrocodone (Vicodin) pills 11 days before her death .... and the day she died there were only 11 pills left in the bottle ... TMZ has learned.

What's more we've learned the L.A. County Coroner's Office cannot locate the doctor who prescribed the pills and they are on the hunt to find him.

According to the Coroner's report on Murphy's death, the pills -- which we've learned were prescribed specifically to Murphy -- were supposed to be taken a maximum of 4 times a day. Yet 109 of the pills were missing from the bottle when she died. If Brittany had maxed out on the prescription, only 44 pills should have been missing.

So why were so many pills prescribed in the first place? That's what the Coroner wants to know. The doctor's name on the pill bottle is Cohen, but so far the Coroner can't locate him. A member of the Coroner's Office went to Brittany's husband, Simon Monjack, to assist them in locating the doc, but we're told Simon was no help.

The cause of Brittany Murphy's death is listed as "accidental" -- the result of pneumonia, along with prescription and over-the-counter drugs.

UPDATE: Simon Monjack contacted TMZ and says the hydrocodone prescription was not Brittany Murphy's. He says it was written for either Sharon Murphy, Brittany's mom, or himself -- he said he was unsure.

Monjack also says Dr. Cohen did not write any prescriptions for Brittany.

As for the 11 hyrdrocodone pills that remained in the prescription bottle for 120 pills -- Monjack says yesterday morning, after we published this story, he and Sharon located 73 pills from that prescription.

me

120 Vicodin? She had to be selling them. If she doubled up on her dose, which stupid people do, then she would be closer to that number. She had to be sharing that party with others. What on earth is the pain she's going through to need those. Most people don't get more than 15 after a painful surgery and if you follow directions, they run out quickly then people are in pain for weeks, or months after that.

surfing2day

#11 by me said:

There is just something about Simon that doesn't sit well with I've seen his interviews and I saw his reaction after her death in their driveway in addition to the 911 call. Then his appearances after Brittany's death? Also, the mom and Simon seem too close to me, like lovers act (putting her hand on his knee during the interview, holding hands, calling him sweetie and honey, etc). Is he romancing her, too? Everything was left to the mom so I can't see him letting his meal ticket get away.

I agree with your post by me.

Cliff

How much stronger is Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone? All I know is I took my first ever dosage of OC after 3 wisdom teeth removed and woke up 4 hours later paranoid swearing monkeys were chasing me and in the "worst pain of my life" which seemed odd to me because I felt no real pain after the procedure. So I forced myself to wait 15 minutes and if the pain didn't diminish I would take another dose.. guess what 15 min later it really didn't hurt that bad, I took 3 Ibruprophen and went back to sleep and woke up in the morning ready to go back to work. My surgeon gave me 30 Oxycodone + 30 Vicodin + 30 Ibruprophen to "get me through the weekend because he was afraid I might not be able to reach him".

All I know is that if 1 dose did that to me, then imagine if I had continued to use the entire bottle? I'd be like all the rest of the dopeheads out there. I think doctor's are being way too careless with these RXs.

Makenna

You can NOT take vicodin every 4 hours. The people spewing crap like that are going to kill someone. To the bimbo "claiming" to be a nurse. You are a freaking moron.

Vicodin comes with acetaminophen in it. Usually 500mg per pill. Your liver can only process 4000mg in a 24 hour period. Anymore then that will be toxic levels and IS deadly. Taking Vicodin every 4 hours would be consuming 6000mg.

TMZ is correct, she could take 4 doses a day. This would equal the 4000 maximum intake of acetaminophen.

People that abuse Vicodin do so by cold pressing it. This gets rid of the acetaminophen from the pill. It allows them to be a junkie without dying from an overdose of acetaminophen.

shuffler

Doctors are the real traffickers.

the biz

Makenna

20. 8 tabs per day is max of 5/500 And it is almost always written tk 1 to 2 ts po q 4-6 hours prn p and in order to fill the rx the pharmacy would have said dr on file with his or her dea# and npi#

Posted at 4:43AM on Feb 27th 2010 by the biz

==============

My prescription was written 4-6 hours. When I said to my pharmacist oh I can take them every 4 hours? He said no that is a mistake. He took the bottle back and refilled it. He said he was glad I asked because it would have caused an overdose.

tim

ive wondered if her mom and husband have somthing going on like more than friends.i thought it was odd when he said he woke up in the middle of the night crying in his bed then she got in his bed and held him.somthing isnt right about that.

the biz

Posted at 4:49AM on Feb 27th 2010 by If you don't believe it do a google search
dummies.
----------

It wasn't a mistake he was just covering his butt. People dont understand its 1 every 4 hours or 2 every 6 hours he was just dumbing it down for you so you wouldn't take more then the recommended amount of tylenol.

Jake

Wow, my comment was deleted. Not sure why. Hopefully this rephrasing is acceptable.

The essence of what I wanted to add is that, all joking aside, I just have this impression that there is a strange "real life reflects art in a distorted way" aspect to Jon Cryer's life with that woman. Maybe I'm off base.

But his original major role, as most know, was as Duckie in Pretty In Pink. And there was clearly a tragic undercurrent to his unrequited love of the near-angelic truth-telling redhead Andie. There was something natural in how he played the role that in retrospect seems like it may have been more than just good acting.

Years later he marries this woman who turns out to be the farthest thing from angelic. I have no idea about the details of their relationship but simply from that picture of her she appears to me to be someone capable of severely manipulating another person's emotions, particularly someone vulnerable to that.

In any case, hopefully all of that is truly well behind him. From what I can tell his current marriage is a legitimate and solid one.

Jake

Uh, I'm an idiot insomniac. Obviously my comment was intended for the Jon Cryer thread. I will now go stand in the corner.

stinky mcgee

First, I take hydrocodone. My doc will not prescribe more than 30 pills a month. If I need two or three in a day I have to deprive myself some other day to make up the difference. Why did she get so many? I have lifelong chronic pain and am very afraid of becoming addicted to pain meds.

Second, Ms Murphy did not have to sell her medication to make money. Her royalties on King of the Hill alone would be enough for her to support herself and her family.

Finding the missing pills might be impossible.

C Cagle

Leave the family ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is not a drug addict. It was just an unfortunate situation and we lost a very bright, young Hollywood actress. Let her rest in peace already. All the media wants to do is keep stirring the pot. Very sad that the media can't grow up.

dr cyclops

i thin k she was selling them to michael jackson and that why they both died..the lord does take care of business in strange ways..so i solved this do i get the 5 million dollor reward..if you spell cohen sideways it and then multiply by 5 it spells murry backwards...sooo thats the answer peeps..hee hee heee

Fruitfly

There are some really judgemental people on this site. First of all, 120 pills per month equal 4 per day. That is NOT a lot of pills. The fact that so many were missing from her bottle 11 days later? Yes. That is fishy. I can't get past the shock of some posters, having the gall to judge "why did she have so many in the first place! I had surgery and only had 15!!" Well, then your doctor was a fool and you should have asked for more, rather than live in pain. 15 isn't an even dosing schedule, at one every 4 hours, you should have been prescribed at least 20. They won't keep refilling after most surgeries, but if someone has a CHRONIC pain condition, Rheumatoid arthritis, herniated discs, degenerative disk disease, etc...well 120 do not go far, people.