Oscars 'Kanye' Lady -- I'm the Victim Here!

3/9/2010 10:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Elinor Burkett -- the redhead who infamously pulled a Kanye West at the Oscars -- claims she's only being painted as the bad guy because she was too damn slow to get to the stage.

Joy Behar and Elinor Burkett: Click to View!

In a moment of red-headed solidarity, Burkett agreed to tell her side of the story to Joy Behar, where she claimed Roger Ross Williams "bigfooted" her to the stage -- instead of waiting for her to join him so they could accept together.

Burkett -- who's name is on the Best Documentary Short award for "Music by Prudence" -- said she felt she had to butt in and hijack Williams' speech because he was only talking about himself ... and not giving proper due to the film's disabled star, Prudence Mabhena.

As for why she didn't just keep quiet, Burkett quipped, "I'm really not very good at keeping my mouth shut."

Wanda W.

She has a very valid point. She was being pushed out by that guy Williams. The winners only get 45 seconds to say something and he was eating all that time up on HIMSELF. He was going on and on and on about HIMSELF ! Not a word about the woman who inspired the movie,or the others who made the movie possible. It was all me,me,me . That woman has guts,and it is because she took over, and brought the attention BACK to the important part,that she is being vilified . There is still terrible sexism in Hollywood,as there is everywhere. I love to see take charge women like that ! That Williams guy should have waited for her when they were first called,and WALK WITH HER TO THE STAGE.That's how it is done when more than one person wins. All that happened after that would NOT have happened had he only done that. He got what he deserved.........

Moi

WOW what a BIAAAATCH!!

The poor man said ONE sentence and this woman ruined it:(

Lopezshouldgouknowwhere

My cousin is co-editor/producer of this film and it is his First Oscar so it really ticks me off that this 'b*tch' interrupts an important moment in the teams' and his life. Who is she anyway? Does anyone even care? I'd like to give her a piece of my mind.

Jay

Producer-Elinor Burkett: What happened was the director and I had a bad difference over the direction of the film that resulted in a lawsuit that has settled amicably out of court. But there have been all these events around the Oscars, and I wasn't invited to any of them. And he's not speaking to me. So we weren't even able to discuss ahead of the time who would be the one person allowed to speak if we won. And then, as I'm sure you saw, when we won, he raced up there to accept the award.

Producer-Elinor Burkett: The final product (Movie), it's not that it's bad. It's not what I envisioned when I came up with this project. And it's not what we promised the boys in the band. It's just not what we wanted it to be. The movie was supposed to be about the entire band, The director and HBO decided to focus solely on Prudence.

Director/Producer-Roger Ross Williams: The truth is that she saw the band perform [in Zimbabwe], and told me about that, and then I opened up a dialogue with the [King George VI School & Centre for Children with Physical Disabilities] school and went on my own – which you would've heard about in my speech -- and spent $6,000 going to Africa shooting myself. And when people expressed interest in the film, I asked her to come on board. And then I regretted that decision. Then she sued. She was removed from the project nearly a year ago, but she was able to still qualify as a producer on the project, and be an official nominee. But she was very angry -- she actually removed herself from the project – because she wanted more creative control.

Director/Producer-Roger Ross Williams: The academy is very clear that only one person can speak. I own the film. She has no claim whatsoever. She has nothing to do with the movie. She just ambushed me. I was sort of in shock. It's such a career achievement, to win an Academy Award. This is what the business is. There are times when there's disagreement and dispute and you always hope that people will rise up to the occasion. It doesn't diminish it. She disowns it and doesn't want any part of the film. I'm so proud of the movie.

qwerty

Thanks #57 Jay, I think that says it all.

www.musicbyprudence.com

Prudence is the one who truly lost out. The movie premieres on May 12 on HBO.

Todd Smyth

Are you people cracked in the head? This woman was co-producer and had every right to get her 15 minutes of fame. The REAL KANYE in all this is Roger Williams - last night's appearance on Larry King proves that.

Frank

Nope, sorry Elinor..just doesn't cut it. Your message got lost in your rude deliveryand the real loser in all this was not you not Roger but Prudence.

qwerty

Spot on, Frank!! (#60)

Anna

'Perhaps if she had let her fellow winner talk, he would have be able to thank Prudence.
He had the right to say whatever he wanted to in whatever order he wanted to.
This woman was simply rude. And by the way Ms. Know-It-All, most winners leave the best name until last.

And that would have been Prudence.'

I agree...it was very rude of her to interrupt him! Why was she on the stage anyway?!

Jason

Why do people like Rhonda feel the need to post comments when they don't even know the facts?

I feel it's all I have in me not to call her a retard. :(

adonna

This BITCH is crazy. She referred to herself as "middle aged!" She was born in the middle ages, but she's far from "middle aged."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4