Michael Jackson Estate

Inks Record,

Record Deal

3/16/2010 9:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0630_mj_exd_tmz_06-1TMZ has confirmed the Michael Jackson estate has signed the biggest deal ever in music -- worth up to $250 million with a guarantee of $200 million.

The estate made the deal with Sony Music Entertainment -- the contract is for 10 projects over seven years.

One album will debut in November, which contains never-before released recordings. We're told Jackson left enough material for at least three albums of fresh material.

A source tells TMZ the royalty rate on foreign sales is the key to the deal -- and 2/3 of the sales of MJ records traditionally have been outside the U.S.

And we're told Sony gets a two-year extension for the right to distribute the Michael Jackson catalog -- to 2017.

The deal has nothing to do with The Beatles' catalog -- it's all about MJ original recordings.

The agreement was brokered by John Branca and John McClain, executors of the MJ estate.

Christi

It probably means completed material in terms of 3 albums. Im sure hes got hundreds of demos. He used to say he recored 100 songs per album. It will be really nice to hear brand new music. It will be even better when he tops the charts like he used to.

Long Live The King!

Duh

OK I am out for the night....so glad we got that resolved OhWell, I really DID miss you. Goodnight everyone!

Antoinette

Daphne Lorincz

Michael Jackson did not agree. Check out this youtube...at 2:32 MJ holds a sign that says...SONY KILLS...and boy was he right.

Posted at 11:54PM on Mar 15th 2010 by Chico

MJ was a mega star in Japan & he knew that. It was not so much about Sony, I honestly believe his problems stemmed from the differences between him & Motolla. I remember reading an article in Calgary, Canada that Motolla was asked to step down by Sony Head Office as a result. MJ forever!

Loulou

Posted at 11:54PM on Mar 15th 2010 by Chico

He was sooo right.They didn't even have the "courtesy" to wait until that murderer gets behind bars.MJ is sure turning in his grave.

Nessie

Can't wait to see the videos.....

Michael's videos really expressed his music visually for the fans - how are they going to do that now??? With an "imitator"??? Good luck with that - Not!

from Asd

chillbrutha

worth every penny ... one may even argue Sony got MJ back into the fold at a bargain basement price

MiMi

Chico

I am confused. I thought that MJ left Sony in 2002. Or is it because Sony partially owns his catalog that they are automatically involved?

Something does not seem right to me....

mjjfan50

On another note & please don't laugh, so WTG = way to go. Is this correct?

Daphne, you got it!

WillOTheWisp

What is up with that blurry ass picture??
TMZ is just being ignorant! Y'all know there's a better picture of Michael Jackson in your stash!! Stop Hate'n!

Daphne Lorincz

63. I thought he left that stuff for his kids? The kids are still underage so did they decide this? I'm confused.

Posted at 12:00AM on Mar 16th 2010 by Antoinette

I think the executors are the trustees as well, and therefore, they call the shot until the kids reach maturity, i.e. 21 or 18 in the U.S. In Canada, 18 u are an adult.

Loulou

I wonder how early the kids can get emancipated...they sure should do that as soon as possible.

Linda Lovelest

If they run out of music they can always endorse Michael Jackson action toys and a Neverland complete with petting zoo too.

Big Mouth Joe will TELL ALL

Mimi and Chico..
It was my understanding that Michaels catalog did NOT revert back to him for a few more years..in other words Sony would still make money off of Michael...so what i am getting from this is that it will take another 2 years now before the catalog would revert back to Michael..Well his estate now.