Brittany Murphy -- Hundreds of Pills a Month

3/20/2010 5:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Brittany Murphy received no fewer than 200 pills every month from January 2008 through August 2009 ... and sometimes as many as 400.

As we first reported, Murphy used an alias -- Lola Manilow Murphy -- at Eddie's Pharmacy in Los Angeles for nearly two years before the pharmacy finally cut her off 4 months before her death.

Pharmacy records show Murphy was getting regular scrips for hydrocodone (Vicodin), clonazepam and Klonopin (anti-anxiety), and Vicoprofen (a Vicodin/ibuprofen combo) -- doubling up on some prescriptions on certain months.

For example, one month Murphy was prescribed 200 hydrocodone and 100 clonazepam; another month it was 300 Vicoprofen and 100 Klonopin.

All the prescriptions were prescribed by Dr. Richard Kroop. We're told investigators paid a visit to Kroop on Friday afternoon.

As we first reported, the owner of Eddie's Pharmacy told TMZ he cut Brittany and her family off 4 months before her death because, "We thought there was going to be an accident there."

valeskas

I read most of these mails, one said lose the weight, the other said, we are pillhogs. These doctors tell you to take the meds and will not give you less, even if you ask for. I have asked and was denied, if I knew what will help me or destroy my health even more, I would take it upon myself to stop taking most meds, but I do not know which ones are bad, the doctors do. My question is again what can I do or should I do, if my doctor does not help in reducing my meds.

Heather

To Prince Von A-Hole, there is a HUGE difference between you taking many different meds multiple times a day & what Murphy was supposedly taking so much of.

Pharmacy School

I wonder if the pharmacy really didn't notice her even with that alias. Addiction to prescription medication is a serious problem among celebrities..

-Pharmacy student

Nick

Taking that much vicodin on a regular basis would do a number on your liver, with borderline toxic levels of acetaminophen. The maximum daily dosage is 4000 mg per day, while the most commonly prescribed form of vicodin contains 500 mg of acetaminophen. 200 vicodin per month equals 6-7 tablets per day, or 3000-3500mg. Add in the clonazepam, and if she drank ANY alcohol (not at all saying that she did), and that has liver damage or, in the worst case scenario, liver failure, written all over it.

I work in a pharmacy and what surprises me the most is that it was a single doctor who thought this was appropriate. Most people seeking a high amount of abusive drugs visit a few different doctors for their scripts, as most doctors with common sense and any sort of decency wouldn't knowingly prescribe high and contradicting doses like this.

NancyBeyond

What a waste of a beautiful young lady. I agree that the book should be thrown at the doctor who was prescribing this crap and at her husband, too. HaHa... maybe now - with the new health care reform, doctor's will not be able to prescribe powerful drugs like this. We can only hope!

colieolie83

at 18 i was diagnosed manic depressive/with anxiety/self mutilation disorders, i had my son at 19, my daughter 14 months later, had severe post partum... took kolonopin WHEN NECESSARY! stop taking it when i felt "NORMAL" (3months after my daughter was born) and never touched it again....there is no excuse but the doc wanting money. and most likely her old. crusty, hauntingly creepy "husband" allowing this to continue. he was the cause of her death,,HELLO! INSTA CASH FOR A STRUGGLING PRODUCER!!!! he should be burned at the stake..she was such a sweet girl!!! remember clueless!!?!? ironic huh??? SIMON MONJACK IS A FAT LAZY GROSS ASS HAT AND NEEDS TO PUT ON TRIAL FOR THE MURDER OF BRIT.

Henry

The Every Other Day Diet was created by 3 of the most renowned diet and fitness experts in the world, has helped over 300000 people in more than 100 achieve phenomenal results, and has been proven to work in everybody. http://www.fithuman.net

Christine

Brittany was probably suffering panic attacks, it's not unusual to be prescribed 300 pills a month, depending what strength of clonazepam it was.... I take 0.5mg, 3 times a day, and somedays more if I have an attack....The Vicodin mixed with the clonaz was a deadly ****tail though,,,RIP girl

realitycheck

As an addict in recovery for pill addiction, I can attest to the fact that 300 Vicodin/hydrocodone a month is nothing. Myself and many of my fellow addicts in recovery could take that many in 1-2 weeks--some in a few days. Don't know if she was an addict or truly had chronic pain issues. Unfortunately, whether she was an addict or not, Brittany died much too young.

Denice

Propanolol and Inderal are the same things guys! Maybe an investment in a PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) is in order. Just saying.....facts should be checked!

trudy carle

simon monjack was found dead late sunday may 23 2010---by britnays mom....how very sad!!!!

spyke

omg...this is insane...stricter laws...ppl need to get a better judgement of life...pills for everything??? NOT~~~yoga..meditate...soothing music..hollywood is tough

Perkele

I can see people arent doing math and ONLY seeing numbers.. it is quite easy to take hundreds of pills a month. I am no pill addict ect.. I have a spinal disorder from birth & am having a new spine put in plus I have no thyroid because radition killed it. daily I hve to tke Kolonopin (which is the same as clonazopam just gereric so ppl quit saying she hd 2 different Benzos) heart medicine 2x daily and pain meds every 4 hours so 6 day, plus motrin and I just used calculator and found I take exactly 540 pills per month.. I am NOT strung out, I'm just a regular person who happens to have medical disorders. It's not fair to judge her when you don'tknow anythin about possible health problems. This is insulting to me because it is just as if I am being judged for the same thing, which is entirely unfair.

MARYBETH

EVERYONE IS MAKING A JOKE OUT OF THIS IT IS NOTHING TO JOKE ABOUT PILL ADDICTION IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM HERE IN THE U.S. BUT YOU CAN NOT ONLY BLAME HER THE DOCTOR THAT WAS PRESCRIBING THAT MANY MEDS SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED AND THE PHARMACY SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THE AMOUNT THAT WAS BEING PRESCRIBED TO ONE PERSON A MONTH OR EVEN THE FDA SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT. BUT AS LONG AS THE DOCTORS GET THEIR MONEY AND THE GOVERNMENT DOES TO I GUESS THE LOSS OF A HUMAN LIFE DOESN'T MATTER TO THEM THEY JUST CONSIDER IT POPULATION CONTROL

Dorothy

i think she just couldn't handle all the stress, and thats what most likely led to her death