Dr. Murray's Defense - Jackson Killed Himself

4/5/2010 8:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Dr. Conrad Murray's legal defense is that Michael Jackson gave himself the fatal dose of Propofol.

Multiple sources familiar with the strategy tell TMZ the defense argument goes like this:

- At around 10:50 AM, Dr. Murray gave Jackson 25 mg of Propofol from a 20 ml bottle -- that's only about 1/8 of the bottle.

- The dose Dr. Murray administered would keep someone asleep for only 5 to 10 minutes, but the Propofol, along with the Ativan and Versed that was already in MJ's system, had a synergistic effect that put Jackson to sleep for a longer period of time.

- For the next hour, Dr. Murray stayed in the room and was on the phone for much of the time. Dr. Murray didn't leave the room to make the calls because MJ liked activity in the room, regularly sleeping with the lights on and cartoons blaring on the TV.

- At around noon, Dr. Murray left the room for approximately two minutes to go to the bathroom. While he was gone, the defense believes Jackson suddenly awakened and was frustrated he had spent nearly 9 hours trying in vain to sleep. The defense theory -- Jackson took the 20 ml bottle of Propofol and self-injected the remaining contents through the IV, causing a massive overdose that stopped his heart.

- Dr. Murray walked back in the room and saw Jackson with his eyes open and pupils dilated. Dr. Murray dropped the phone (he was speaking with his girlfriend) and began administering CPR.

The defense will argue Michael Jackson was a long-time Propofol addict -- something TMZ first reported shortly after the singer's death. As one source said, Jackson liked the sensation of Propofol being administered by IV, adding, "Michael liked to push it."

L.A. County Coroner's investigators took a picture in the room, showing an empty Propofol bottle on the floor, underneath the nightstand by Jackson's bed. The defense will argue Jackson grabbed the bottle from the nightstand, injected himself and then dropped the bottle.

Remember, law enforcement believes Dr. Murray hid bottles of Propofol before paramedics arrived. The defense will argue ... if Dr. Murray was really hiding Propofol, he would have removed the empty bottle under the nightstand that caused Jackson's death.

Ed Chernoff, Murray's attorney, could not be reached for comment.

Conrad Murray

horndog

How much money have you haters donated to Joe Jackson's legal fund? He accepts Pay Pal (tm) but prefers cash. Conrad Murry is a man amongst men and a credit to his profession and humanity at large.

cawobeth

"Michael liked to push it." Whoever this "source" is was probably referring to MJ's creative projects. Sourceless comments (?)
That's what news so often does, take someones words out distort of context in order to support opinion.

This is preposterous in so many ways. To comment further, I'd just be repeating myself like news does. Same _ _ _ _, different day.

Bali handicraft

I wonder to know the investigation of Jacko's Death. Is it to find out the possibility if He get killed? Or for other purpose?

From : Bali handicraft

MiMi

Michael Jackson's propofol level was 10-100 times higher

"Propofol level in Michael Jackson's body at the time of his autopsy was 10 to 100 times higher than the level attributable to the dosage Dr. Conrad Murray admits to having administered.

Dr. Bruce Speiss, Professor of Anesthesiology, who didn't' treat Michael Jackson, tells CNN:

"The levels of propofol in the toxicology report are considerably higher, perhaps by factors of 10 to a 100 time higher."
Murray told police that he administered 25 ml of propofol after three other drugs failed to help Michael sleep.

Dr. Bruce also highlights some other inconsistencies.

Murray says he stayed with Jackson for 10 minutes after administering propofol, in which case he should have noticed something was wrong.

Michael should have been adversely affected with seconds of being given the drug.

"If he was going to stop breathing he should have stopped breathing within 30 secs to 2 mins after the propofol went in," says Dr. Bruce.

Also, a quantity as small as 25 ml should have been injected, not administered using IV, Dr Bruce points out, sinc the IV tube itself would take up 25 ml."

Mikey

What cartoons did he watch? Its likely the cartoons made him nuts and he killed he self.

MJ-UNBREAKABLE

I don't know whether it has mentioned in the meantime, but doesn't anybody know, where the "doctor" was the 24 hours after Michael's death???

I always ask myself where he was? What he has done during this time? I don't believe all that stuff that he was shocked and meandered through the city ... as a doctor he should deal a little bit professional (I know, he didn't before ...) but does anybody know something about that???

It's all for L.O.V.E.
www.mj-unbreakable.com

Inma

Claire

Posted at 9:28AM on Apr 4th 2010 by loves

I feel exactly the same, I wouldnt care if he didnt sing or dance ever again just that I could feel or know his presense on earth any hope i may meet him one day

Mikey

Michael's last words before he died:

Tina

Bvahahahaha !!! Nice Harvey...

Angela

Nobody knows exactly what happened in that room that day. Get ready for a long bumpy ride.

maybesomeday

This is good news, let him try and use that defense and see how quickly he's convicted what a bullsh*t claim!!

Dustin

Thank you Murray for killing that Child molesting drug addict. I thank you every night my children are safe from him, and he's rotting away in hell.

janicebyrne01

What BS this is. Murray is a desperate liar and keeps changing his story. Murray is guilty. He was negligent and reckless and incompetent and he killed his patient.

cathclassica87

I don't buy this scenario at all. I believe that Michael was addicted to propofol and I believe that he begged Murray for it. But I don't believe he would have had the proper coordination or the time (in 2 minutes) to inject himself. I think this story is really grasping at straws. If it even had the remotest possibility of being true, why didn't Murray tell it to police immediately - on the day of Michael's death? Also, I recall reading very early on in the investigation that authorities were preparing to charge Murray and that one of the reasons they were preparing to do so was because they had specifically determined that the crime scene set up ruled out any possibility that Michael could have taken the propofol himself.

All that said, I've long prepared myself that Murray will likely get away with what he did. I hope it doesn't happen, but I'm braced for it. Nothing will bring Michael back, that's for sure, and Murray's life and career will now be tainted forever whether he goes to prison or not. In my heart, I know it was Murray's total negligence that killed Michael that day. Of course, it was also Michael's own poor choices that led up to that moment.