« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ben Roethlisberger -- No Charges

4/12/2010 2:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0305_ben_roethlisberger_getty_95099599_bn.jpg Ben Roethlisberger will not be charged for sexual assault over an alleged incident on March 5 in Milledgeville, Georgia.

According to prosecutor Fred Bright -- the alleged victim wrote a letter on March 17, in which she stated that she no longer wanted to pursue the case.

During his investigation, Bright claims "everyone" agreed that both Ben and his accuser were highly intoxicated on March 5 when they went into the bathroom at Capital City nightclub.

Bright said there are still "significant questions about what occurred" in the bathroom ... but Ben will not be prosecuted.

Bright said after the alleged incident, the woman went to a local hospital where a doctor and two nurses examined her and found "a superficial laceration," bruising and bleeding in the genital area.

Bright said the woman told doctors "a boy kinda raped me" -- but Bright said the doctor could not definitively say if the woman's injuries were the result of a sexual assault.

Bright said Ben initially claimed that the woman fell and hit her head in the bathroom -- but after she arrived at the hospital, doctors found no trauma to the woman's head. After that, Bright says Ben's agent stepped in and said the quarterback wouldn't answer questions with an attorney present.

Ben Roethlisberger Pictures

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Conservatives are Cowards

I guess the average TMZ poster isn't patriotic enough to respect the American justice system. Then again, when most of them are missing a chromosome, it's unlikely that the people who post here are capable of grasping many complex tasks, including dressing themselves in the morning.

It's not Big Ben's fault that most of the people who post here are self-loathing losers who lack the talent, skill, initiative and commitment to make something worthwhile of themselves; look in the mirror and blame yourselves for your pathetic wasted lives.

One thing I can say for sure is if the best thing you have going for you is thinking you're better than someone you think is a rapist, I'm very glad I'm not you. I try to set my benchmarks a bit higher than you losers. But at least I know that, worst-case scenario, I can always know I've done better than the average TMZ poster.

KW

OMG...you people are stupid. The DA said there was not enough evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. It's not that confusing! There was not enough evidence AND 10 days ago the 'victim' decided she didn't want to press charges.

trinity911

KW

It doesn't equal guilt either! It means they can't prove he raped her, so it's very possible he didn't.

trinity911

@ These were his exact words..."I know when I have a case and I know when I don't," Bright said. "And I do not have enough evidence to convince 12 jurors beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Roethlisberger was guilty of rape."

Posted at 12:08 PM on Apr 12, 2010 by KW

**************

These were also his exact words:

Reporter "If you had a daughter, would you let her go out with Ben Roethlisberger?"

DA "No"

MaryMac

I stand corrected...the DA did say he did not have enough evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I do not have enough evidence to prove that he did it either.

That said-many are equating this with "the girl is a lying, money grubbing whore." It has not even been alleged that she wants any money. I do believe the girl felt she was violated enough to complain. Let's not convict the girl simply because they are not pursuing the case. They are not saying that she lied or prosecuting her for any crime either.

KW

These were also his exact words:

DA "No"

***************************

And your point is? I was explaining how he was not charged because there was not enough evidence to convict. Some people on here believe he wasn't charged because she said she didn't want to pursue this any further. As a mother I would hope my daughter would NEVER behave like this girl. She was a underage drunk girl who put herself in a stupid position. Where were her sorority sisters when she was going into a bathroom with a STRANGER? If her raped her he is wrong, being that no one knows but the two of them I choose to not jump to conclusions!

Different Rules Apply

She was probably threatened... agree that she should not have gotten drunk and gone into the bathroom, but clearly this guy has some sort of a pattern for this type of thing. Maybe the 3rd one will be a charm - careful who you party with girls!!

trinity911

@ KW

My point is that despite your quotes around the word victim, that simply because there was not enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt does not mean he is squeaky clean innocent of any wrong doing.

And as a mother, I would hope that my son would NEVER behave like this. He was a drunk millionaire who put himself in a stupid position. Where were his body guards when he was following a drunken minor into a bathroom and closing the door?

DumbassBenDisliker

Just because he's a dumbass athlete is no reason he nor anyone else who acts in this juvenile manner should not have to face consequences. He's almost 30, not 21, and it's about time he grows up. This is not the first stupid thing he's done and unfortunately, now that he got away with it AGAIN, he'll continue to do stupid things. There are many backroom stories about his behavior that haven't been made public that make me believe the guy's a total *******. Maybe Santonio Holmes getting traded for nothing will open this jackass' eyes finally. He can go just as quickly as SH particularly since he hasn't shown much growth or progress since his accident. His best days are already behind him. I don't question whether or not he is guilty, I question how stupid is he to keep getting himself into these situations and for that alone, he should have to endure a trial.

litig8tr33

Yet another athlete groupie floozie swings and misses!! These athletes have to learn that they walk around with a big target on their back and that women are going to throw themselves at them hoping for fame, fortune, or just to brag to their girlfriends that they did a Super Bowl quarterback. Even worse, some of them are looking to get knocked up by the athlete for the huge 18-year-long child support payday.

What these guys should do have their handler or bodyguard make any woman who wants to enter the VIP section where the athlete is hanging out sign an acknowledgment that specifically states that they consent to any sexual contact they may have with the athlete and that they are on birth control. If the girl won't sign, she does not get in the VIP section. Period. My guess is that at least 80% will sign the acknowledgment without batting an eye, since most of these women just want to add a famouns athlete to the notches on their bedpost anyway.

Trooper Tom

52. "51. Not having enough evidence to convince 12 jurors beyond a reasonable doubt does not equal innocence."

Posted at 12:13 PM on Apr 12, 2010 by KW

Well based on your logic it's also possible he did rape her or tried to.

TEAM INVAZION

Ben has some definite decisions to make.. He has some BIG changes to get ready for..

tlynn

Underage girl drinking in a bar? Just so happens her drunk ass ends up in a restroom & then claims assault? What exactly did she think was going to happen after she got drunk? She went there with the intention of bagging herself a sugardaddy, drank too much and can't even remember what happened! Typical white girl antics!

DON4772

Plied her with liquor and than took advantage of her. S*** bag. You proud of this a-hole Pittsburg? Shame on you. Boo him out of town .

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments