Kate's Brother: Reality Show Damaged the Kids

4/14/2010 1:46 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jon and Kate Gosselin's 8 kids suffered psychological damage while filming "Jon & Kate Plus 8 ... this according to Kate's own brother.

Kate Gosselin and Jon Gosselin
Kevin Kreider and his wife Jodi just testified at a Philadelphia hearing on child labor laws and reality television shows. Kevin said the kids had no privacy during the taping -- even their potty training was captured on video.

Kevin also said the kids suffered psychological damage as a result of the show, adding there were safety issues in the house, including large lighting equipment that created a danger.

During his testimony, Kevin said the Gosselins' kids were manipulated by producers who wanted drama.

UPDATE: Kevin's testimony is interesting ... considered a potty training scene was filmed at his house.

TLC tells TMZ the allegations are "either completely inaccurate or a distorted representation for maximum attention."

Jon Gosselin also released a statement, saying "the allegations made by Kevin and Jodi have not been my experience at all during the production."

tiv

I call Bull on the brother and sister in law what a bunch of jealous people !!! cant stand Kate in the lime light making money wow terrible !!

Bonnie

They didn't seem to have a problem with the show while they were on there getting paid.

Really?!?!?!

Wow.. Did the kids really suffer psychological damage from the show or are they mad cuz their sister didnt share the wealth with the family.. I mean really seems like all anyone ever thinks about these days is money and how much they can get.. Everyone talks badly about this show.. I honestly loved the show.. It was real.. You cant make little kids act like little kids.. it comes natural. I am a mother myself and my kids even liked watching the show.. &obviously you people that talk so bad about the show have either watched the show or are judging the show through all the medias stories.. I mean I think it is great for those babies to have college funds set up and waiting on them.. It is unfornate that they are now in a broken family but in todays society that is not a rare thing.. They are all just like everyone else they just have more money.. Kate kudos to you..

Claire C McMillan

I watched many episodes of the original show during the original airing times. What is in question in this hearing is if TLC and/or the Gosslins violated the child labor laws in their state related to television child actors. Does anyone have the link to PA's regulations?

Personally, I did think on occasion that they might be violations depending on the amount of time per day they were being filmed and some privacy issues as well.

Plus, I remember Jon discussing on a television interview that they were paid as a family unit a set amount. Therefore, it may be that the children were not paid individually with trust accounts set up for them similar to the requirements in California. Thus, the whole family may have been under paid for their time, filming, and exposure.

Best Regards,

Claire

Claire C McMillan, AA, BA, MBA, MS-ABT and Doctoral Coursework
Homeschool Expert, Education and Business Consultant

happy2bhere

Kate, if you only knew what kind of fool you are making of yourself in front of YOUR KIDS (remember them?) and the viewing public every week, you would hide your face in shame. The closest I've seen to reality was the replay on E! of your "RIDICULOUS" dance to "Papparazzi" because we all got to see your nasty hateful REAL face that your poor kids get to see when you have time to go home. Do us all a favor, and go to Pennsylvania and disappear so us DWTS fans can enjoy the show again. I watch all of the people dance who put you to shame, snd then turn it off. Poor Tony, he must be a saint to put up with your constant whining and self-pity. No wonder Jon hit the road. Yes, cheating is wrong, but when you are what he had to come home to, who would have stayed? I hope Tony gets double pay to try to train you and talk you through every dance. Your "I love you" sign at the start of the show is hilarious. Makes you look even more foolish and phoney. Thanks for the laughs, now GO HOME!!!!

Jen

Hello people Kevin, and Jodi were on the show in the beginning and then they got greedy about being paid. When they're demands weren't met they suddently had a problem with it. First of all these are not they're children we're talking about. Secondly I'm pretty sure these people don't even have children so when did they become experts on what is ok and what isn't. Lastly even loser Jon disagrees with them so there you have it. No one is interested in Kevin and Jodi's opinion, why are we paying any attention to them? Their claims are ignorant and just their own sick way of getting media attention.

mama mia

Every single adult in the Gosselin household is getting paid to be there. Even the parents. No wonder Kate is trying so hard to keep family, friends and neighbors out. She doesn't want the pay cheques to end, simple as that.

tiv

I agree Jen 100% just jealous people !!

marie

I like how you guys turn this around on Jodi and Kevin. There were other people there testifying too. Jon and Kate used their kids. They were forced to put 15% aside for ALL the children. 2% each. Not because they wanted to but because they were forced to do it so that TLC would not be prosecuted for permit violations. The children had video cameras installed in their rooms to get unscripted footage. They were filmed fully nude and the video uploaded onto the internet. Crew members were complaining and didn't feel comfortable filming this stuff. You should watch the hearing instead of just making stupid, juvenvile remarks about JOdi and Kevin.

mama mia

Telling a child it is Christmas morning to film their reaction to presents is just wrong. No wonder the Gosselin kids are hesitant to believe the adults around them. Kate won't admit there are problems until the problems can not be contained, at which point she'll try to profit off these by writing another book or doing another docudrama. What a mother.

wasup

Kate, I am totally on your side. I would do whatever I neeed to do to insure my children had a good start in life. People that think they can weigh in are nuts. I am a working Mom of one child & if I could do something to make more money in a shorter period of time than having to leave my son every single day for not enough money, I would! Do these other mothers not work? Are they not abandoning their children daily? I'm sure if Jon was willing to be the breadwinner(or capable), you would happily stay home where there is a lot less stress! I also have siblings that have no actual involvement in my life & would in no way be qualified to comment on my daily activites so I give these people zero credibility. I sense jealousy on their part...take care!

kathy

shes a mess

Mandisa

One word: JEALOUSY. Her brother and sis-in-law is jealous of Kate's success on TV. I bet if they are tag along with her in L.A. CA they won't say a darn thing about her and her kids. Leave Kate alone. She is working for her 9 kids..Jon and the little ones. Questions to all you critics, if Hollywood come knowing at your door wouldn't you answer it and say yes? How about other parents who are away from home on a job so they can provide for their kids? How is that different from Kate's situation? Back off jealous haters.

Kate Gosselin

Thank you all for seeing through the sensationalized mess of these stories...."Happy2bhere" and 'wasup" ...your words are eoncouraging.

I'm not sure where some commentors get their information but I did not turn down my fathers offerings as you stated. Early on we received some questionable items and gifts that were tampered-with. The reason for turning down the gifts was for a few things.

One, this is a terrible economic time, my family was blessed to be receiving generous income, why take from actual people who are working hard to support their families.

Two some gifts such as car seats and strollers were missing safety devices. Intentional or not, the risk was unneeded.

Thank You to the wonderful supporters. Your all great intelligent people.

Kate Gosselin

sam

why does it say "more LINDSAY LOHAN" at the bottom? i guess when you're so used to writing about someone......