Heidi Montag Calls It Quits with Spencer Pratt

5/29/2010 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Heidi Montag has separated from husband Spencer Pratt, TMZ has learned.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
Heidi's rep tells TMZ, "Heidi is looking to move out due to all the fake bad press that Spencer controls.  She's tired of it and is looking for a place and wants to focus on her acting career."

We're told Heidi -- pictured above with Spencer in Malibu last Friday -- is looking for a new place to live ... in Malibu.

As TMZ first reported, Heidi and Spencer called the police on Heidi's mom a few weeks back ...  so there's been plenty of turmoil.

A source close to Heidi and Spencer tells TMZ the tension in the relationship has been building for a while now ... "It wasn't just a sudden thing."

Now it makes sense ... On Tuesday, Heidi tweeted, "I am not Heidi Pratt, I am Heidi Montag."

UPDATE: Spencer's sister, Stephanie Pratt, tells TMZ, "I hope whether this statement is true or not that they are both happy in whatever life decisions they make."

Christina G.

Heidi, I hope you'll use your "leverage" with Spencer and insist that he gets treatment for his mental issues. He needs meds and a good psychologist.

Hey Now

If you spoke about the mom of 99.9% of the population the way he has spoken about Heidi's mom (on national tv) you would've gotten the boot a long time ago.

Shaydie

She'll go back at least once. :P

wendy

no way do i buy it. look how he's dressed, how his shirt is buttoned,if there's one thing he knew what to do is dress. heidi sent an audition tape for t3, it's her shooting target practice and my guess is she will never have a chance with that loose cannon, he went too far this time, no one will ever take her serious.

w

go for it heidi, and spencer's sis sounds like a decent gal.

Chilipie

Well it's about time. I knew this was going to happen, just didn't know how long. (I wonder if he hit her at all ..... bet he did.) I'm glad she's finally getting away from that creep; now maybe she can get her family and friends back. It was stupid to get all that plastic surgery, but what's done is done. I wish you well Heidi. I'm glad you didn't have that baby!

dprice

Dammit, now my prediction of a murder suicide in the next 2 years won't be as easy for Spencer to pull off.

I am glad to see Heidi get out of this, but they make such an entertainig trainwreck.

TessaKittysMom

Of course they're splitting up, and Tila Tequilla is pregnant with the Tooth Fairy's Baby and Easter Bunny is having dinner at Mastro's with Santa Claus.

Melora

Spencer Pratt is the Paul Snyder of this century.

WordOutlet

Which real relationship gets:
1) lived out in the public
2) for public consumption
3) by people who only care about only the headlines they generate?

Anyone care to mention even one lasting relationship like this?

Maria Lopez

They are pure s*** - the pair of them. Absolute and utter trash.

Unfortunately they are part of our modern celebrity culture. It used to be that only talented movie stars got press coverage. Now any B-level celebrity gets coverage, even if all they are famous for is their sex life.

jill

this is just a way for her to get her face on tmz.....

What Da

They werent even legally married to begin with. Trust me, they will get back together and try to sell that story too. It so sad that this is what they resort to make money. Whats even sadder is TMZ posting this. No! whats really sad is me wasting my time posting my response..............im pathetic.

What Da

Its just another way for them to get publicity. Trust me. They'll get back together and try to sell that story too. Hell I dont think they were really even parried legally, so who the hell cares.

margaret

If she has truly come to her sense then Run Heidi Run!!!