Bret Michaels -- From Deathbed to 'Idol' Judge?

5/29/2010 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels returned to the stage last night in Biloxi, MS where Bret dropped a huge piece of info on the crowd -- he might be taking Simon Cowell's seat on "American Idol."

Right before Bret played the classic "Every Rose Has Its Thorn," he told the crowd, "I can't say this is true yet, cause I don't know. Next year they asked me to possibly be the judge on 'American Idol.'" Very vague, but still ...

As for the rest of the show, one audience member told us, "I figured he'd be wobbly and sitting on a stool. But he was energetic, running around the stage with his guitar. It was like when I saw Poison years ago. It was a awesome show."

UPDATE: A source close to Bret tells TMZ Bret is "in the running to replace Simon" but that nothing is close to being done yet. A rep for FOX says they are not commenting on any speculation regarding Simon's replacement. Stay tuned ...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Joe

DENNIS HOPPER DEAD AT AGE 74. FIRST. I > TMZ.

Trish

He is too nice to take Simon's spot. But, keep rock'n Bret!

Pam

I love Brett too! BUT I don't understand why he isn't following his Dr's orders. You've been saved from death TWICE I know he wanted to preform and show people he is well but no one wants to see him drop dead on the stage somewhere. REST LIKE THE DR'S TELL YOU TO BRETT or you won't have the oppurtunity to be a judge on Idol

Sarcasm Intended

Why nothing on the death of Dennis Hopper?

Susan

I would watch every week just to see Bret and hear what he has to say....he so rocked on the finale with Casey.....

Susan

Sloane

nobody can replace Simon-that's a fact
but the next person to fill the chair needs music cred and personality

so Bret is actually a good choice probably and it would have him sit still for a bit so his body can heal better

he's got an energetic/frenetic side as we have seen in the Apprentice so maybe sitting still is not in his nature but I'm sure his children would really enjoy him not touring for a while

rowdymike29

Just cancel that stupid show already!

nan

Yeah, I could dig watching Bret every week on the judge's panel. He's a cool guy and he knows his music. I like him.

Heidi

LOVE Brett!!!!!!!!!! Think he'd make an excellent judge, however, it's my understanding that this is a 'GUEST' judge gig with other alternating guest judges...... If it changes & he's a permanent 4th... That's all good too..... :)

Green

You forgot Sir Elton John... I think he would be best cause hes another obnoxious Brit...

Myself and I

He faked the whole thing for press. He is bigger now than ever.

raven

It is a very difficult job that Ryan does. Not everyone has what it takes to do that job, taking care of emotional folks and always smiling,so Ryan must stay where he is until Jay Leno retires then it is Ryans spot for sure. He knows how to talk with people.

Bean

Love Bret,can't stand Ryan he is so annoying. That's why I never have watched the show since the first episode! When he disappears then I'll watch the show. Ryan's as bad as his lame reality shows on the E network!

Dumped Him

First of all, who watches American Idol? That show has been over the day it started. If one of his goals is to be a host on American Idol, he needs a new goal.

As far as him returning to the stage so fast and not listening to his doctors, it's obvious he feels he has something to prove and wants the focus on him. He's a fool.

He should be listening to his doctors. If his ego weren't so big, that's what he would do.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments