Bret Michaels -- From Deathbed to 'Idol' Judge?

5/29/2010 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels returned to the stage last night in Biloxi, MS where Bret dropped a huge piece of info on the crowd -- he might be taking Simon Cowell's seat on "American Idol."

Right before Bret played the classic "Every Rose Has Its Thorn," he told the crowd, "I can't say this is true yet, cause I don't know. Next year they asked me to possibly be the judge on 'American Idol.'" Very vague, but still ...

As for the rest of the show, one audience member told us, "I figured he'd be wobbly and sitting on a stool. But he was energetic, running around the stage with his guitar. It was like when I saw Poison years ago. It was a awesome show."

UPDATE: A source close to Bret tells TMZ Bret is "in the running to replace Simon" but that nothing is close to being done yet. A rep for FOX says they are not commenting on any speculation regarding Simon's replacement. Stay tuned ...

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

DestineeStarr

It never ceases to amaze me what a person will do to get attention. Bret Michaels has been entertaining for over 2 decades, and you would think that he would not have to resort to paying people to back up his fake illnesses. It's one thing to reinvent yourself; it's another to play on peoples heartstrings to boost your career. Those believing this man is ill, you are right, he has a mental illness and he's a total ego maniac. There is a book out "A Shot of Poison" by Christopher Long the author is some no namer, but it says how Bret is "always armed with an arsenal of well-rehearsed and very print-friendly quotes, he's the master of self promotion, and never fails to give a calculated interview." Well, I would say, this would have to say, his latest shena****ns have to be the most calculated yet. I think he should run for government, he definitely fits in with the rest of the disingenuous media whores, such as Sarah Palin!

Candace

it doesn't really matter if they use a "mean" judge. I figure the judges are so weird now, they won't ever get anyone good to replace any of the originals. I mean, lets face it....Ellen to replace Paula? What was that all about!? No, they will not replace simon with Brett, but, I think he would be a great judge just because I like him. The old idol is gone. They now have to start out anew or lose their touch.

Layla

wrong person for the job

if they hire him they are

signing his death certificate

Layla

Shocker huh, the $$ wins out again
Shame he won't live long enough to enjoy it

I love Bret but he is totally clueless

What does it take to get through to someone

savannah

If Bret Michaels got the spot that would deffinetly make me want to try out..

Jen Varner

I love Brett...You were awesome on the Aprentice.You should consider buying a business from http://www.pure-ecommerce.com.

Emerdy

I said I would not watch the show when Simon left. If indeed Bret Michaels is the replacement...well I will just have to change my mind. Love Bret.

nobleday

Bret would make a great judge. He's very good at speaking honestly and diplomatically. And, he's got a good sense of humor which is important. Thumbs up.

Jennifer Hensley

BRET MICHAELS WOULD BE AN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME AMERICAN IDOL JUDGE.

Bret Michaels is a musician and, above all else, a professional. He's a decent, hard-working, extremely intelligent (anybody who has watched Celebrity Apprentice can attest to this), down-to-earth guy who, I think, would turn American Idol around and increase viewership immensely.

Bret Michaels has A LOT of fans across the country and worldwide. Having him on your show would be EXTREMELY beneficial to gaining American Idol viewers.

I know this would affect me, personally, as I have not watched the show in years because I find it boring and predictable. However, if Bret Michaels was the next judge on the show, I know I would definitely tune in just for the sake of seeing him. The man is breathtakingly sexy and I know there are many, many people, like myself, who would watch solely to see him every week. It will be a HUGE mistake NOT to get Bret Michaels as the next

American Idol judge and I can guarantee that viewership will continue to decline otherwise.

Plus, I think it would be good for Bret as maybe he won't be on the road every single night touring and this would enable him to, more of less, take some time to rest. Not that he will not do anything else, but this could be something stable that would allow him to still be involved in music but not as crazy & hectic as touring every night.

Bret, we love you! Take it easy and don't over do on tour!

Jennifer Hensley

I am amazed at how many stupid, idiotic people are out there. How the hell do you fake a brain hemorrhage? How do you fake being in the hospital? You people are just stupid naysayers who can't believe that someone could just be lucky enough to survive and, more so, have the WILL to survive. Bret Michaels has battled Type 1 diabetes since he was six years old. He survived a serious car accident that totalled his car and should have killed him. How many people survive that? To say that his illness is just a publicity stunt is cruel and not based on any facts. And about the person supposedly close to him that is writing a "tell-all" book about how he overexaggerated his illnesses, why do you think they're writing that "tell-all" book in the first place? Because they are money-hungry and want to make a quick buck on Bret's condition. Do you really think it's going to be filled with FACTS based on truth or LIES to make money? If you fall for that, I've got a nice bridge to sell you. All you naysayers should be ashamed of yourself.

big al

i heard he had a hair transplant they made a mistake and used african american black pubic hairs so now he wears the bandana

Uidegarvduter

i am watching it right now. If no one post it in 30 mins, email me and I will tell you.

Stem Cell Therapy

Yidegarvduterr

cause his his is fake. extensions or a part of a wig. He even said it himself. But theres times I've seen him and he doesn't have it on.

Acai Lipo