Gary Coleman

Don't Pull the Plug on Me!

6/14/2010 5:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained legal documents signed by Gary Coleman in 2006 in which the actor specifically directed that he did not want anyone to pull the plug on him ... if he was ever in that situation.

Gary Coleman
The documents were ironically filed by Shannon Price -- Gary's ex-wife -- the person who authorized doctors to take Gary off life support last month. Price has filed the docs in an effort to be granted control over the disposition of Gary's body.

Among the documents filed today by Shannon is a health care power of attorney which Gary filled out in 2006.  Under the heading "Instructions for Health Care" -- Gary checked a box  titled "Choice to Prolong Life" which states, "I want my life to be prolonged as long as possible within the limits of generally accepted health care standards."

0614_coleman_rip_noarrow_wm

The other option Gary had -- "Choice Not to Prolong Life" -- was left unchecked.

In the docs, Shannon explains her decision to end Gary's life saying she was "forced" to pull the plug. She does not explain why she felt forced.

Moonbeam

Not to defend the type of person Shannon is, but there is a good chance that the stuff she is removing from the house are things Gary bought for her and that executors might try to claim as belonging to the estate unless she gets them out of the house quickly. Unless she can prove they were gifts or things she bought with his permission, the executors may wrongfully try to take them away from her. I saw a case where a woman lived with a man and invested much of her own money in improving his property, but he didn't make a will mentioning this, and when he died the executors kicked her out of the house. I'm sure Shannon did not contribute much, but what things she took might very well have been things that Gary meant for her to keep.

Further, I doubt the doctors would have allowed her to pull the plug if they believed Gary had a reasonable chance. It's not like she just yanked the plug out of the wall on her own.

I am equally convinced the police did enough forensic investigation to satisfy themselves that she was not involved in his accident. Not only had he had a recent seizure, but they probably checked angles, point of impact, checked footprints and fingerprints in the area and for any blood spatter on her or her clothes. Remember, too, that he was conscious for a while after his accident and cognizant, and spoke with people around him. He would probably have said something if she had just attempted to kill him. He was alone with the paramedis long enough to have alerted someone -- he could speak well enough to do so until he later slipped into a unconsciousness.

She is not a likeable, credible, nor a seemingly intelligent person, but there are numerous women married to famous men for other than their good looks and sexual attractiveness, and nobody would dare call them whores. Perhaps they do not come off as white trash (as Shannon does to so many people), nor would they probably sell death-scene photos, but that is partly because they have been taken care of by lucrative pre-nups, or perhaps no pre-nups at all and are set to collect large dissolution settlements and/or inheritance upon death. Shannon is just from a different socio-economic background.

Lynn M

My family has been through this and when dealing with a brain dead patient there is tremendous pressure from medical doctors to be realistic about a person's chances. In our case, it took only hours for the designated person to pull the plug. He had every reason to NOT want to make that decision but did it because his wife was gone.

I can only imagine what a nightmare this was, with those on one side and those on the other. She was depending on medical advice. Get over it.

sc1432

I think we all know now that Gary would of not wanted the plug pulled 15 minutes after he was hooked up. I am thinkiing she only waited 15 min , so the person taking the death bed pictures had time to get there.
When will the police see she killed Gary for her own greed.

Also,if you look at the papers in this article that Gary signed, and then look at the papers he supposly had wrote the writing is NOTHING alike.

How is this greedy,self-centered women getting away with all this? He was worth more dead then alive to her. PATHTIC B*TCH !!

Jim

If they really are divorced, then the death certificate that says he was married should be ammended to show no surviving spouse/divorced and refiled in the county of death. Also, social security would need to correct their records because when she can draw, the widow would collect off of his earnings and get the death benefit now which is $255.00. Even divorced, she is allowed to draw something off of him I think.

MidoriMe

Poor Gary. When I read this heartbreaking story, I almost fainted. So sad

Tina Lewis

I can say that I am more upset about Gary's death bed photos. Natiotinal
Enquior bought these photos from Shannon and then put them in thier magazine to makemore money off of them. Where do they draw the line? When is enough enough. I was sickened to hear about this, and the only reason Shannon did this was for the money. Shame on you Shannon and you National Enquior.

FBI

anyone consider she may have actually murdered Gary? coming home collapsing to the point of killing himself? c'mon...I fell off a roof and only broke my leg.

Did the police even attend the scene?

Something to consider with the fact the cell phone calls she wouldn't help him, took pictures and took him off life support asap?

There's way more to this than Gary falling and killing himself, I put it that he was murdered by this woman for his estate cause he was going to kick her out??!!

"What'chu talkin' 'bout, TMZ?"

snowboardchick

"39. 15 snowboard chick..........that may well be, but that does not make it right for her to pose with Gary while he was in a coma, pull the plug, then snap one more picture.

Sounds like Shannon's brain is a little fried."

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS RIGHT SHE POSED FOR PICTURES. I AM NOT DEFENDING HER BECAUSE SHE PROBABLY PUSHED HIM. I AM SAYING HE WAS PROBABLY BRAIN DEAD. THAT MEANS DEAD. NOT IN A COMA, BUT DEAD. THERE IS NOT A CHOICE AT THAT POINT. THE PERSON IS PRONOUNCED DEAD AND THEY DISCONNECT EVERYTHING.

Colonel Bleep

This is clearly nothing but premeditated murder and thanks to poor police work, she is apparently getting away with it. Arrest the murdering skank now and give her a fair trial before execution by Utah Firing Squad.

Tellmewhy

My man got quite ill-(cancer) and was intubated in the hospital one evening when he couldn't breathe well.He didn't want to have that to prolong his life-but we both agreed and considered it to be a slight setback. The nurse at the hospital kept calling me- at 3 AM- 5AM wanting me to come in and give permission to pull the plug- so to speak...We lived together for 15 yrs-not married-I guess they considered me-being his common law wife or something.I went to the hospital-and he was still alive--but they were twisting my arm-to pull the plug-saying he was brain dead- wasn't gonna come out of this!I couldn't do it! Or even wanted to give permission for something like that!! I said let's wait for his Dad . By the time he arrived he already passed. I don't think I could've lived with myself if I ended his life--it's better if he died naturally--like perhaps Gary C. should've done!What's the rush to do that? Do the hospitals need the room? They figured I was close enough to pull the plug-like Shannon was?!It should be a family affair if possible--not for just one person to decide!

Willow

Who care's. People keep forgetting the guy was a total creep.

LA

I hope she is prosecuted. Shannon Price NEEDS to pay!

IbePiglet

She's lied throughout. She represented herself as his wife even though they were divorced. She has the death certificate reading "married." She violated the instructions he had on file. What the hell. So now what? NOTHING? She gets away with this???

Hime

@MrsP- I'm glad you're not *my* Healthcare professional. If I want my life prolonged then I don't care about your opinion. Not only that, you don't pull the plug less than 24 hours after someone loses consciousness.

Ohsowhat

The cops need to investigate this woman. Something is quite fishy with her and her account of what happened. this is not a grieving person.
I think she had a hand in his death.