« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Annoying World Cup Horns -- The Silver Lining

6/17/2010 4:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Millions of vuvuzela headaches at the World Cup may actually end up helping several poor African villages -- and it's all because of the incredibly huge demand for earplugs.

0616_tmz_ex_vuvuzela
Here's how it breaks down: a South African non-profit called Uthango Social Investments has decided to manufacture their own brand of earplugs ... and use the profits to bring technology to poor African villages -- specifically broadband Internet.

A rep for Uthango tells TMZ, the company partnered with a huge South African vuvuzela manufacturer called Masincedane Sport weeks before the World Cup -- who agreed to sell Uthango's earplugs in a package along with their vuvuzelas.

Uthango pulls in $0.66 for every set of earplugs they sell -- and we're told they've already sold 75,000 pairs ... which means they've raised $49,500 in cold hard earplug money.

According to the rep, they expect to sell at least 175,000 more before the tournament is over.
0615_soccer_studs_300

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Trish

Oprah, Get a hold of your kin folk! As Judge Judy would say, "put your listening ears on."

dave

manufacture the problem (the horns), then sell the and profit from the solution (the earplugs). Great deal, almost as good as selling fast food and having a gym next to it

mike

Hey trish. You just jealous of O. But thats ok she does not know you even exist.

Cookie

Brilliant business scheme, selling earplugs with the horns.

mjfan212

kool i hope it helps them out alot

ManiacalZebra

Just what everyone who can't afford food, a roof over their heads, clothing, or a computer need - broadband.

electriczipper

I kind of like the noise of the horns..but soccer is boring,,,,

electriczipper

at least in the states you have soccer moms on the sidelines

TM8

@No name, my point exactly. As long as they don't start sending me more lottery emails... i'll agree it's a good idea. I'm on the fence.

kickaboo

Very smart marketing, way to help yourselves advance in technology.

awards

Typical business model; create the problem, then solve it.

Joe Smo

It's extortion!!! These kids are probably paid to blow these horns non stop so people have no choice but to buy their ear plugs. Don't pat them on the back TMZ. They need to ban those horns from the stadiums.

Ellidegg

that's fantastic!
those horns are CONSTANT lolz, and I would SO buy up those earplugs, and knowing what the profits are for, I'd buy a box of em! :D

Johnny Rocketship

Hooray!

I can't wait for the increase in notifications that I can be paid large unscrupulous amounts of money if I can just help out the widow of a dying Prince in some African country. I will gladly send them 2500 dollars to facilitate the administrative procedures involved with organizing my estate inheritances.

ROFLLLLL

RiggyPow

You right dude those horns are mighty annoying.

Lou