Cop Mistook Lindsay's Cocaine for Breath Mint

6/30/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Now we know why Lindsay Lohan's 2007 DUI case may have plea bargained so quickly -- the cop who took custody of the cocaine mistook it for a breath mint and threw it in the trash.

0630_lilo_clinique_card

Pretty incredible, but according to the Santa Monica Police report -- obtained by TMZ -- the officer "discovered a folded Clinique sun care card with an unknown substance caked on to the surface of the card in Lohan's right rear pocket."

The report goes on:  "Some of the white substance fell to the floor.  I used my foot to see what had fell but thought nothing of it.  I did not recognize the substance attached to the card and initially thought the substance was a wet crushed breath mint."

And now it gets good:  "I put the card into the jail trash can next to the booking windows.  I was looking at the floor and began to recognize the substance as resembling powder cocaine.   I then recovered the card from the trash."

The cop says the coke was in the trash for about 2 minutes.  He put the card in an evidence envelope, then scooped up the coke that had fallen to the floor and placed it in a separate evidence envelope.

In short -- EVIDENCE CONTAMINATION!!!

Lindsay ended up with a sweet deal and spent 84 minutes in jail ... for a drunken, cocaine-fueled chase on Pacific Coast Highway.  Nice deal if you can get it.

Uh

My comment was not about Lindsays innocence or guilt, but the credibility of the TMZ story. I believe she was guilty. I think the prosecution dropped the ball, and the cop was lying. Be that as it may, Lindsay is innocent until proven guilty...just like everyone else. Bitch to the judge. But the TMZ article had a bogus title, a bogus picture, and bogus logic. In otherwords, it was bogus. With the logic used (based on a false premise) even Harvey could have had the charges dropped...well, maybe not.

itsMeAgain

so i may have missed something here but did they actually test this powder and confirmed that it was coke? i mean it just says this guy took these into evidence but not say anything about confirming, etc..chances are it was but...just wondering!

pj blogger

Scary that the Santa Monica police can't differ between an altoid and cocaine.

dave

you guys have the best laws you can get away with it all here in illinoin what would not happen it just goes to prove its all about who you are there

rene

THEN WHY WERE YOUR FRIENDS SAYING YOU NEED HELP? WHY WERE THEY SAYING YOU NEED AN INTERVENTION? EITHER ADMIT IT LINSY ,OR BE QUITE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snodgrass

What a waste of a person.
GET IT TOGETHER LOHANS!

Karla

Send this tragic has been to jail or rehab already, I'm so over hearing about her and her sad family and life! She is clearly a waste of space!!!!!!!!

Criss

I'm on team LiLo! (smiley face icon)

azh01e

@#8...

GHOSTBUSTERS!!

lorraine

"I always carry crushed breath mint in envelopes, officer!" "Ok, you can go now"....YEAH RIGHT!

DTMRM

What a coincidence. This cop better get a negative performance report. I bet she gave the cop a blowy and he "lost" it in the process, and by lost, I mean snorted the coke off Lindsey's ass.

Kourtni

How does one get a cocaine confused with a breath mint to begin with anyway? Only in L.A. when a celeb is involved I would assume?

robert

well todd that is why you need A GUN you would die before a cop shows up i would rather trust myself

Marcus

Why is she still alive and why do we care?

cindy

what kind of cop doesn't know the difference between cocaine and a crushed mint. they are supposed to be trained . Sounds like they paid hm off.