« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Derek Fisher: I'm Staying with the Lakers

7/12/2010 5:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Derek Fisher has officially decided to remain with the Los Angeles Lakers -- and  the person who had the biggest impact on his decision was his friend and teammate Kobe Bryant

0712_derek_fisher_lakers_Getty_EX_01

Fisher tells TMZ, "I have decided to continue with Kobe, continue with our teammates and the fans of Los Angeles."

He adds, "While this may not be the most lucrative contract I've been offered this off season, it is the most valuable."

As we first reported, Fisher was being courted by LeBron James' new squad -- the Miami Heat -- but ultimately decided to stay in L.A.

"At the end of the day, there's one person I could not turn away from," Fisher tells us. "Kobe Bryant asked me to stay but supported whatever decision I made. He and I have played together for 11 seasons, came into the league together as kids, and has been loyal to me even when others had doubts."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jim Beam

This just in: No one gives a f*ck about Fisher.

Carry on . . .

anonymous

Way to Go FISH!

Jack Peter

Big Swish Fish is smart-- The big three losers will not get to the finals next year-- the Celtics, Bulls and Orlando will beat them bad....you can't win with four guys on your team.

Mikey

Love is in the air the Fisher and Bryant. Might there have been some homosexual contact?

Dave

What's more meaningful . . . an NBA championship you attained by hard work on the court, leadership, coaching and some smart trades in the office, or a few superstars taking paycuts to assemble their own "all-star team" because they couldn't do it on their own by normal means? Fish is smart enough to know their's no challenge or sportsmanship joining the dark side. He has class.

It's going to be a barrel of fun watching Spoelstra attempt to manage those 3 egos. . . he's no Phil Jackson.

Jack Peter

Heat won't get out of the East. Celtics and Bulls are both better teams.

Tammy

Derek fisher is a better man than lebron will ever be in his life.

AL

Excellent choice. Good luck to the world champion lakers.

Joe Blow

Good for him. I'm not even a Lakers fan, but I'm glad he's going to try and stay and win a 3rd straight title with LA instead of jumping on selfish Bron-Bron's bandwagon. I like Dwayne Wade too, so it's nothing at all against the Heat, I just think the way LeBron handled himself throughout this entire ordeal was horrible. That, and after seeing that video on YouTube of Lebron treating the Chicago Bulls ballboy like dirt really made me a non-fan of his.

Here's what I'm talking about:

J Simp

Good for Fisher.

Linda O

Good for him! Derek is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuck steel

hey harvey, would you let kobe rape you?

Kitty

Barb

You hearing this King James? Loyalty.

Kris

Playing up the "loyalty" card. He doesn't want his jersey burned in the streets!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments