'American Idol' Interested in Jessica Simpson

7/28/2010 6:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jessica Simpson has had "several meetings" with the brass at "American Idol" in the hopes of taking over Simon Cowell's judging duties ... and sources involved tell TMZ there's "mutual interest."

0728_Jessica_Simpson_idol_getty_bn

We're told "Idol" is expected to make an official announcement regarding the judge situation sometime around the beginning of September.

So far, FOX has no comment on the situation.

lou

This a joke, right? You know, like bad info passed on from Papa Joe...right???

J Simp

@82. why would Jessica be a better judge for ANTM or PR when she is a singer not a model?

J Simp

LOL at all the Jessica hating. She will bring big ratings for AI maybe not as much as Simon of course, but big enough and better judge than Ellen.

sheila

no, no and again NOOOOO!!!!

Jamie

bummer I was so excited for bret michaels...

GB

I think they are throwing out these names to generate publicity. The real choice may be a surprise.
Three women and Randy Jackson doesn't seem balanced. Who ever it is I don't anyone will be happy with them. And it better not be Juliane Hough.

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

NOTHING ELSE NEEDS TO BE SAID AFTER # 1'S COMMENT. IT SAYS IT ALL.............

E

I don't know what surgery she has or hasn't had but I can see that she's hit the wall hard the last 5 yrs. They want her because she's eye candy but that show has NO credibility anyway so put her up there in a g string and a bra.

justagirl

While I am a fan of Jessica, she is a very weak choice as Simon's replacement. They need a "villain" type to counter the three other personalities. Personally, with the exception of Randy, the other judges seem forgettable if replaced...has anyone really missed Paula? You need an Alpha personality to fit the bill and Jessica falls short of the job. The judges are a good percentage of the shows success...put the wrong person in there and ratings will take a nose dive.

dedb

why is it that david fosters name has not been dropped.. he would be one of the best candidates for the job.. and not to metion hes ruthless like cowell

Throwback kid

This wouldn't be a good fit for Jessica Simpson, she doesn't have any talent but she can judge it? I think Jessica would be perfect to be a judge on the Nathann's fourth of July hot dog eating contest. Eating large amounts of food is something Jesica knows about.

himty

It'll be fun to watch Jessica's fat azz repeatedly attempting to jump the shark... along with the rest of this mind-numbing show.

MattyGNNDE

Uhhhhhh No.... However on the other hand, since I hate American Karaoke anyway, I do hope they sign this broad. This would be the end of it for sure!!! Go jessica!!

Vicki

NOOOOOO SIMPLETON NOOOOOO

JLS

What? This is simply ridiculous! She is a failed singer! Why then make her a judge of other singers? OMG how stupid!