JetBlue Memo -- Steven Slater Was Reckless

8/10/2010 7:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE 6:45PM PDT: Slater's $2500 bail was posted, and law enforcement sources tell us he left the jail within the last 15 minutes.

TMZ has obtained an internal memo emailed to JetBlue inflight crew members, making it perfectly clear -- the airline is pissed at Steven Slater.

0810_jetblue_launch_MEMO_EX

According to the memo ... before Slater went into high-drama mode, the plane was already parked, attached to the jetway and the passengers were in the process of deplaning.  According to the memo, sent by Vicky Stennes, VP of Inflight Experience, "...the forward service door was purposely re-armed and the slide intentionally deployed, endangering lives and equipment."

The memo goes on:  "Some media outlets are portraying yesterday's event as a humorous example of what individuals may consider doing at a point in their careers -- walking off the job in a very public fashion.  However ... deploying a slide is a forceful event and yesterday's deployment endangered, and could have severely injured or even killed."

The memo also offers crew members counseling ... we're guessing it's not about deploying the slide.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Dan

"deploying a slide is a forceful event and yesterday's deployment endangered, and could have severely injured..."

yet not a word about the ignorant passenger who hit this guy with her bag and how that could have severly injured him. So much for showing even the slightest support for an employee. nice going jetBlue. I booked my trip today on another airline even though you were $20 cheaper. you can keep your jetBlue points. I won't be flying your airline anymore (and I did at least once a month)

Dennis F.

Dan, Should JetBlue give encouragement to an employee who broke strict FAA rules and just give him a pat on the back and laugh it up. And you're lying about flying JetBlue once a month.

Dave

Dude looks gay.

Slam

Reminds me of Saturday Night Live!!
Bah-Bye!!!! Bah Bye!!!!

watcher 1

listen, the ignorant way some passengers treat flight attendants, they should be thrown out of the plane. I have seen passengers drunk and unruly and be very verbally abusive to the staff. I don't blame this guy at all, if someone had hit me over the head with a gigantic "carry on" suitcase I would have lost it too. good for him!!!!

Caleigh

Rude people suck, entitled people suck, stupid people suck, this guy has to have been putting up with crap like this for ever and he had enough, millions of people are standing and applauding, because we all want to do what he did! I hope all this turns out to be a good thing for this guy!!!

sandy

Of course he's gay. Only a gay man could be so angry and melodramatic. And what a Brilliant exit!!! I'll bet he's played that scenario over and over in his mind for years....it must've been so satisfying to finally do it! Jealous!!!

Christine

While I have seen the idiots who treat attendants like emotional punching bags, I flew that airline one time and after standing in line for 3 hours because their systems went down, then being sent to the wrong gate, then being told (when I turned around and told my husband the airline was a joke) - "say one more word and I'll throw you off this flight" (and if it had been a business trip instead of a family vacation I would have tested that threat) - I can say with a fair amount of confidence this guy was nuts before this incident. I think they hire the rejects that all the other airlines won't take.

Rebecca Savastio

Every time we get in a car, we "might" have an accident. Every time someone throws a baseball it "could" hit someone. Any time an airline slide is deployed in a EMERGENCY, it "could" hit someone. JetBlue needs to stop being so babyish and infantile, and so do the police. No one was injured or killed by Mr. Slater's actions, so they need to get the hell over it! He is a hero for all of us!!!

Carl

Welcome to the world of corporate Human Relations. You must protect the company and management at all costs while at the same time blaming problems on low level employees.

Al Brown

Obviously, most people think the flight attendants are simply drink servers and have no responsibility for passenger safety. Slider Slater's actions are being romanticized into some grand act of defiance when, in fact, it was an act of utter cowardice. He chose drama over responsibility and put passengers and ramp workers at risk with his childish act. Don't idolize him - save that for the thousands of flight attendants that take their responsibilities seriously and work to keep you safe as you fly the unfriendly skies.

CJ

And where are the consequences for the obnoxious passenger who hit Stephen in the head with the overhead door?

There needs to be stiff consequences or else more people are going to think it's okay to treat airline attendants like crap.

Sultry

Stop it Jet Blue! You sound ridiculous! Poor PR response. Fire the person that wrote that insensitive letter. It simply doesn't address the real issues. Bottom line.. he was upset and acted abruptly and wrong. NO ONE DIED and he was the only one injured. Yes...thank goodness. But don't go on this tangent about all the things that COULD HAVE gone wrong. I COULD get killed in an accident on the freeway on my way home. Get off that. Fine him like you fine your passengers for every dang thing. and move forward with training your employees and tightening your rules for passengers on board. Consider this a teachable moment for Jet Blue. Not a crucifying moment for Mr Slater. STOP IT! Rikers!!! C'Mon!!!!!

Sultry

And starting this kind of letter off with "I am sure you are aware" is inappropriate. Fire the writer!

kay

Way to go Stephen-loved it that you grabbed a brew on the way out! What an exit, all the x-airline employees are laughing their butts off, myself included.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments