Jeffrey Ross

'Idol' Judge Aspirations

Are No Joke

8/15/2010 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

For once in his life, Jeffrey Ross is being dead serious -- he wants to be a judge on "American Idol."

0815-jeffrey-ross-video-credit
The Roastmaster General has been campaigning on Facebook and Twitter to fill one of the vacancies left behind by Simon Cowell, Ellen DeGeneres and Kara DioGuardi.

Ross says he would "do anything" to be on the show and that he feels Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler don't have what it takes to be critical of the contestants. He told us, "I would be the tough love guy. Do you think J.Lo is going to be able to tell people they stink? I'll be able to do that in a loving way."

It couldn't be any worse than his stint on "Dancing With the Stars."

Lynne

No way. This guy is an unfunny, ugly, creepy old guy. What does he know about singing, or what it takes to be a star for that matter?

F A I L.

Brid

Jeffrey, I really like you, but, I doooooo'nt think so!!!

Antalicus

Jeffrey Ross is really good at cracking jokes on the spot. You would be surprised at how funny he would be. I remember when he was judging that celebrity look alike show and some guy was trying to do Toby Keith, and he had some big buck teeth. Jeff was like, "Toby Keith? more like Koby Teeth." Hilarious stuff.

Lisa

Now it's starting to become a joke. One month until the judges' auditions, and they STILL don't have a panel except for Randy. The solution is simple. Get Simon to come back for ONE more season (it wouldn't kill him), and get a non-stunt cast female to replace Paula/Kara/Ellen. Shania Twain is said to be in contention; she'd be perfect. She's an experienced recording artist who's been off the radar for years, as Paula was when she became an Idol judge, plus, she proved her judgeworthiness as a guest judge and mentor last season. Shania is who they should have hired in the first place to succeed Paula.

Michael Anthony

who the hell is Jeffrey Ross

Hutch

He's a really funny guy, but damn, he's looking bad. Ironically, this is the guy that roasted William ****ner saying "You have let yourself boldly go."

Cut the hair and hit the gym.

RK

To whom it may concern,
I was a huge fan of American Idol--had been for years--but the recent upheavals and changes, starting with the introduction of Kara DioGuardi have left me concerned about the integrity of the show and, frankly, have made the show weaker. I couldn't even bring myself to watch last season. I have been following the Hollywood buzz about the choice-making for the new seat(s) on the judge's panel. I would like to strongly encourage you to consider comedian, writer, filmmaker, and Roastmaster General, Jeffrey Ross. His work stands for itself, so I don't need to comment on that. What I will say is that he could bring to the show a similar sense of "what will happen next?" that Simon did, but is, himself, an artist and performer who understands the intricacies of putting together a performance in no-time. He gets the pressure and he has the experience. His background is in music, too, which makes him at least as qualified as Ellen DeGeneres was, if not more so.
This decision is clearly a make-or break one for the show. We all know that if the judge's panel doesn't work (or disintegrates) the show will limp along for only a short while before leaving us forever. While I'm sure you have a wide net cast already and I'm sure you have many great entertainment minds considering all of the available options, the voice of the viewer is always the most important one to consider, thus the impetus for my email. Many of the names being thrown around are big stars and would bring celebrity to the show, but how will those folks interact with the rest of the panel? Are they going to bring the entertainment value that needs to carry the show when the talent isn't singing? 2 weak minutes--if you're lucky--and the channel gets changed. Jeffrey Ross has more experience with thinking-quickly and improvisation than you will find in any other candidate and he is, without a doubt, capable of both the lavish praise and quick-witted sparring that we have all come to love. In addition, some one has to replace Simon in the Ryan Seacrest teasing department or the show will just seemed shellacked.

I can't make a big enough push--you'll have me as a viewer again if you consider Jeffrey Ross for American Idol. I would pick up the phone for him in a heartbeat.

Thank you so much for listening.

Rafi

RK

To whom it may concern,

Thank you so much for listening.

Rafi

Cathy

Seriously? Jeffrey Ross? Steven Tyler? What are you people thinking. I have been a huge fan of Idol since day one but have been losing interest in the last couple of years. Really? Steven Tyler? Come on Idol - there have to be better people than him out there. And what happens on country night? You really think he will be able to "judge" that kind of music? Oh well - guess a scramer could be the next idol.