Extortion Charges Dropped in John Travolta Case

9/6/2010 11:39 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A judge in the Bahamas has dropped the charges in the extortion case involving John Travolta ... at the actor's request.

0906_John_Travolta_BN_TMZ
The two defendants -- Tarino Lightbourne and Pleasant Bridgewater -- were charged with trying to allegedly get millions from John in return for keeping an ambulance waiver secret on the day Jett died.

The first trial resulted in a mistrial.  Travolta now says he does not want to return to the Bahamas a year later to revisit the tragedy, adding, "The first trial in this matter resulted in a heavy emotional toll on my family."

Travolta, who with wife Kelly Preston are expecting a boy, goes on:  "It was finally time to put this matter behind us ... I concluded that it was in my family's best interest for me not to voluntarily return to the Bahamas to testify a second time at trial."

An official from the Bahamas tells TMZ prosecutors still have the option to file the case again ... but without the cooperation of the alleged victim it's highly unlikely.

bahhh

Interesting...wonder whattheheck happened that John dropped the charges...? I am thinking the pain of another trial all over again could be a factor...

Hope

John TRAVOLA? Check your spelling...

Rafav

¿Is TMZ going to say anything about the Homosexual facts on this dancing queen?, newspapers around the world are.

Jennyy

I am not surprised to hear this. Kelly is now in her last trimester. According to the report out of the Bahamas the case was causing the family a great deal of stress.

I think John made the right decision. The Bahamian judicial system is corrupt anyway. I am relieved for the family, they can now put it behind them and move on. Jett will always be in their hearts and souls but they have Ella and the new baby to care for and they must move on.

squeeky

So these 2, John and Kelly Preston, just "sweep"
the death of their poor son under the rug, and
move on, by having twins...it is so sad. It is
like having your dog die, and going out and
getting 2 puppies. How pathetic. Are they going
to deprive these chilren of available medical
help if needed due to their "scientology"
brainwashing? These 2 should have been charged
in their sons death. They are horrible parents.
Plus...aren't they like in their 50's? Sorry,
but sometimes money shouldn't buy everything..

Bubbles The Chimp

That spray on hair is pathetic.

Susan

I'm sure the first trial was very painful for them. Naturally, whoever thought there would be a fair trial in the Bahamas. Why go through it again. It don't blame them.

Jennyy

Hey Rafar: anyone who bases their opinions on stories from the Enquirer are plain ignorant. Besides who gives a dam who is or isn't gay. What does it have to do with this trial.

Squeeky: you are just as ignorant as Rafar. This trial was never about Jett's medical condition or John's religion. It was about 2 s*** bags who tried to extort money from grieving parents.

Ginger

I'm sure it was a difficult decision. No one should have to deal with this type of garbage after losing a beloved child. I think Travolta made the right decision for his family. Good luck to all of them.

sparced

The travoltas aren't having twins...

in fact it's kind of sad that TMZ got this wrong. There's been a few million specific articles saying it was untrue.

Rafav

jENNYY: enquirer? What the hell is that? Call me ignorant but because I enter sites like TMZ's. I guess in some way that puts me around people like you and in real life, I´d never want that. Have a good day!

Sadie

Their having 1 child - a boy - not twins - get it right TMZ.

mario donaldson

You can't keep a good man down,no matter how hard you try.John and his family have been through hell; things can only get better for them now.

Brandie

The trial was never about the death of their son. It was about 2 people trying to get millions of dollars for private information about his son. He is making the best decision for his family. And, unless you have lost a child, you can never imagine the pain that they will go through for the rest of their lives. Just leave them alone and wish them a happy life.

Megmc

NOT twins TMZ.... baby boy, singular

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments