Extortion Probe Could Derail Case Against Mel

9/23/2010 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Oksana Grigorieva could be checkmated into silence ... silence that could make it impossible to prosecute Mel Gibson for domestic violence -- sources tell TMZ.

Mel Gibson extortion case.

As we first reported ... the L.A. County Sheriff's Department is conducting what we're told is a "serious" extortion investigation.  Our law enforcement sources tell us investigators have "numerous" emails, texts, documents and witness statements that could lead to criminal charges.

If the D.A. files extortion charges against Oksana ... sources familiar with the case tell us it virtually forces her to take the Fifth -- in other words, she'd refuse to testify against Mel Gibson because what she says could incriminate her.

Although the D.A. often prosecutes domestic violence cases with uncooperative alleged victims ... sources involved in this investigation tell us Oksana's testimony is critical, particularly because the physical evidence is shaky.  For starters, we've already told you about her dentist changing his story, not reporting the alleged violence to authorities and failing to get pictures that show injury.

We're told the D.A. considers the two investigations "connected."  If the D.A. files extortion charges, our sources say there's a good chance it could flat-out torpedo a domestic violence prosecution.

And ... if the D.A. decided not to file an extortion case against Oksana to preserve a domestic violence case against Mel, his lawyers would have a field day in court.

The plot thickens.

0708_gibson_fotter_550

KoalaBabe

I don't get it, she won't testify against Mel Gibson for DV just in case she incriminate herself? she is the plaintiff isn't she?

wondering

Koalababe, if the d.a goes with the extortion case she will most likely take the fifth and that would come into play with the DV case and since she is the key witness in that case taking the fifth would ruin that case most likely

KoalaBabe

The TRUTH is always interesting to me. The whole truth & nothing but the truth. Hopefully also when it comes to judge, why Oksana felt betrayed, whether criminal or not, dishonesty tells a lot about the moral standards, when it comes to the motives in sexual relations not at least. Why is Mel's team so fixated on Oksanas long past experiences?

This is about what Mel actually attributed to the circ*mstances while his daughter was brought to life, seems to me important indeed.

Posted at 1:41 AM on Sep 23, 2010 by Sorntolc

Sorntolc Oksana was not betrayed she is not anything to Mel Gibson

She was just a part time lover, not a lived in lover.

They are living a separate lives and separate house, they are not engaged or husband and wife.

She chose to be a mistress to a still married man, therefore she can't expect loyalty from any men she slept with, because she herself has no moral.

igotfleasfromtmz

what ever she say's or has said can be used against her. She has a right to remain silent and the burdon is on the people to prove her guilt. Since the cases are entwined the questions for DV and extortion would most likely be the same type of questions for each case. So by pleading the 5th she shuts down her DV case.

jechrist

don't go to radar online. for the second time this week as soon as i go there a white page appears telling me my computer isn't protected and proceeds to download 'protection' onto my computer. everyone has had this happen to them and i hope i've described this it correctly.

fuddyduddy

WOW!

Now I call that an immaculate interception!

KoalaBabe

I wonder what Horowitz next move will be Wondering? since DV already said her evidence are all shaky is not convincing.

igotfleasfromtmz

Which means Harvey must think that Extortion charges would be filed first.

KoalaBabe

Posted at 1:47 AM on Sep 23, 2010 by jechrist

I have firewall jechrist so that message was blocked.
Obviously their sites is spamming.

wondering

i wonder that since it is an election year that the D.A would want to pursue the case they felt they had the best chance of winning and one that would cause the biggest news splash to boost their chances at reelection, and seeing how the latest polls from the la times, its no wonder why her team is pulling out all the stops as the investigation probe is near complete.

her team is looking at the jury pool and using the broadest media outlets they can get to try and poison that pool in their favor...

igotfleasfromtmz

The courts don't care about feelings, for pete's sake. They are interested in facts.

KoalaBabe

morning fuddyduddy "hugs"

Love that immaculate interception hehehe

Not "divine intervention"

fuddyduddy

Just to be clear, I'm not letting Mel off the hook as he is an embarrassment to himself and his family. I'd be disgusted if he were my dad. That said, I'll watch his movies as I don't chose movies based on the producer/director/actor's personal life. If I did, I wouldn't see many movies.

Posted at 1:37 AM on Sep 23, 2010 by Lynn M
________________________________________________________________

LOL on the movies based on producer/director/actor and personal lives!

Agreed Lynn M...Mel is no angel, that is for sure.

I hope you'll come over to this board a little more often. We need someone with good legal opinions.

fuddyduddy

I got up for a glass of milk, and thought I'd take a peek!

Whew! What a dandy story to find!

wondering