Comedian

Greg Giraldo

is Dead

9/29/2010 9:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Greg Giraldo died today at the age of 44 -- five days after he was hospitalized for an overdose.

Greg Giraldo death.
Greg had been hospitalized in New Brunswick, NJ after he overdosed on prescription pills last weekend. A source said the overdose was not a suicide attempt.

Greg GiraldoTMZ has obtained what is believed to be one of the last photos of Giraldo -- taken at the Stress Factory comedy club in New Brunswick, NJ on Friday September 24 ... the night before he OD'd.

Giraldo was best known for his celebrity roast appearances. He had also been a judge on "Last Comic Standing."

A source close to Greg tells us, "Greg passed away today at the hospital in New Brunswick as a result of an accidental overdose. His family was by his side."

We're told plans are being made for a public memorial service.

More Greg Giraldo

RIP Greg Giraldo.
More Today in TMZ History

Missy

Unreal. I've seen him on so many roasts& Howard Stern. Standup life is really hard. I was upset to see ARtie Lange doing stand up again. Late nites in front of drunk or high people, then trying to come down to go to sleep and all the travel are a bad combo for musicians & comics. Unhealthy lifestyle that takes strong discipline to overcome. This guy was a freakin Harvard law graduate, and if he stayed there, he'd probably be alive. What a waste.

Rose

Speechless...

karen

not sad, but too bad. people do this to themselves, so dont take pity on them. Sad and tragic is when a child gets cancer...

RE

commie

thanks for the laughs giraldo. rip

Scabbiemaster

well I'm actually not that surprised. I mean he and Artie Lang are on the top of my "Mostly Likely to Chris Farley" list.
Too soon?
...-
-Probably

Matthew Brian Collier

RIP...My prayers go out to his family!!!!

SpeakTheWord

He has looked bad the last few roasts I had seen him on .It looked like he lost weight in his face. RIP

fred

SAD

Nick

That is just tragic. But it's far to often the price of fame and wealth. When you play with fire, you will get burn. Money will not only bring you any drug, any sex, anything you want...but it also brings you demons for free!

B. Real

Very sad, I'm shocked. I worked with Greg in developing a sitcom, he was an absolute sweetheart of a human being, a great soul. Thoughts go out to his family and kids, as well as to his manager Rick.

Sondra

This is such sad sad news. RIP Greg. My family's thoughts & prayers to your friends & family..
Greg, you will be forever remembered and missed.

Dave

How many celebrities in the last year have died accidentally from prescription drugs!?!? I refuse to touch the crap!!!

Lynn

Other than Dennis Miller, Greg was the only other comic I want to see time after time. My nephew is getting into stand-up and he met Greg in Houston after the show. Greg was completely awesome to him. Thanks Greg! R.I.P.

Brian