Gilbert Gottfried

Roasts Greg Giraldo --

Too Soon?!

9/29/2010 8:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Just hours after Greg Giraldo passed away, one of his former Roast-mates -- Gilbert Gottfried -- was already making a joke out of the situation ... but did he go too far?!

092810_gilbert_gotfriend_twitter

Earlier today, Gottfried went to his Twitter page and wrote, "If Greg Giraldo is cremated, will that be the 'Greg Giraldo Roast'?"

We spoke to Gilbert about the tweet ... who told us he has problems expressing his emotions -- but noted, "Greg can't say anything about it now ... I'm not worried about him calling and complaining."

So we gotta ask ...

ego

anyone who thinks gilbert is being a **** is missing the point. giraldo was a comedian's comedian, ergo no sacred cows. we all die, is waiting one hour or a month meaningful ?.. really ? in all ports ? sheesh. gilbert will probably have it in his will to trash twitter himself in death. in the immortal words of O&A (and little jimmy nordin) "WE GET IT, OK".. if you don't understand that.. well, buy a clue.

Cordellia

Greg would've said something at least as edgy & "wrong". No better way to honor his memory than by shocking everyone & making them try not to laugh.

lori

laughter is the best medicine.. and if you cant take a joke you need to get laid!!

gemini81

If it was said by a comedian, about a comedian, it's okay. I think that greg is laughing his ass off in heaven!

Siggy

Wasn't it Giraldo that cracked the Heath Ledger joke "too soon" at the roast of Bob Saget? In all honesty, I think Giraldo would be honored by Gottfried's use of humor during such a depressing time. It comes with the territory of their work.

zoidbergsluvr

Greg Giraldo was an insult comic. A final insult hurled at him is like saying final words of love. I think he'd appreciate it. It was said with respect with love. RIP Greg Giraldo. He was one of my favorite comedians and I hope his kids don't grieve too long!

Nathan

if anyone actually watchs the roasts I am positive any of the roasters or anyone close to greg would think this is funny and acceptable. almost predictable. in no way is this insulting to greg he would have loved it as should anyone who knows greg from watching him in his career.

booey

despite greg being dead gilbert is clearly very envious of greg gaining status on the roast circuit

LeeLoo

Gilbert did the perfect tribute for Greg Giraldo. His family knew what they were getting into when he became a comedian. Greg would be bored by all of these "touching tributes" and his ghost is probably giving Gilbert a pat on the back for saying what he would have said if roles were reversed.

EARL HAMSHER

I think Greg would understand and approve.

Courtney

I get the whole "he was a comedian" view point, I really do...but what about his grieving family and friends? His children? They aren't the comedians here, and they're the ones left behind to deal with this tragedy. It's disrespectful to them, even if not necessarily to Greg...But considering the source of the joke, I'm not at all surprised.

fanboymagazine

Awesomely funny in that the timing as well as the horror of the death, is immediate. I recall somebody doing this in Saturday Night Live over somebody croaking and ended the host addressing the recently deceased with, "If you're mad, ya know, call me..."

THe death of a clown requires the right obituary: A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants..."

LAUGH, pansies.

PaulWS

Anyone offended obviously was not a fan of Greg's.

Kimberly

Although I personally think it's distasteful.....I'm sure Greg would think it was hilarious. Come on people, comedians make their living making fun of other people and situations. He would have loved this.

RIP Greg

jeankara

Greg was an amazing comedian with a biting wit that we all loved, and I don’t think he would have it any other way. Gilbert honored his friend, they way he should, one last time with a joke. My prayers are with his family and friends.