Greg Giraldo's Would-Be Gig Becomes Memorial

9/30/2010 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned ... the comedy club where Greg Giraldo was scheduled to perform this weekend is now putting together plans for a memorial instead, featuring a tribute to the late comedian's life.

0929_Greg_Giraldo_governers_getty_ex
The manager at Governor's Comedy Club in Levittown, NY tells TMZ, the memorial is scheduled for Friday at 10:30 PM ... exactly when Greg was supposed to take the stage.

We're told the club will be playing Greg's DVDs on the televisions -- there won't be any admission fee ... and all donations will go to Greg's family.

The manager tells us, "We just want to commemorate his life." As we previously reported, Greg passed away yesterday ... five days after he was hospitalized for an overdose.

RIP Greg Giraldo.

CavScoutSniper

What a bummer! Greg was a truly funny guy, something that is in short supply these days in the comedic world. And an accidental overdose too!? Double whammy! I read he was an alcoholic who had been dry for quite some time so I find it extra sad that he left us in an accidental way. He probably double dosed on an anti depressant or something, that seems to be a common thread amongst alcoholics who are in remission. Once again, just a very sad situation whatever the cir***stances. RIP Greg.

PJ

Any Time We lose A great person famous or other wise it is a sad day. All of those who spit evil in a time of mourning will have to answer for it when its their time and Don't think that the big man up stairs doesn't hear what you are saying or know what you are thinking. I pray for the Ones he left behind Family,Friends and FANS TRUE FANS who loved him for him not the mistakes he made Hell we have all made mistakes RIP G.G

mel

I am so sorry to hear this tragic news. I adored him, his humor was infectious and he was an A list comedian. My heart goes out to his family, close friends, and his many fans. R.I.P Greg, you were the only reason I watched Last Comic Standing, and you, and only you ruled the Roasts. Peace.

Katie

I don't understand why some people make the choices they make

When they are gone, it's no longer themselves who suffer

The media swoops in like an eagle swoops down for a its food

They are not here to see the trembling nor see their loved ones shake

They have traded in their bad mood

It was joy in pill form they relied upon

Where did it all go wrong?

At what point did this talented and special human being lose his way

How many days did he suffer or did he, who can really say?

What will he leave to the ones who looked on high

To the ones he mentored, what will they decide?

What do you think he would want you to know

Maybe to learn from him a thing or two?

Not about performance or television voodoo

How about that there is a thing called consequences and it follows you around

That every choice you make will be met with either solid or shaky ground

I'd like to tell you that I could hear him now but it's probably just common sense speaking so loud

Don't let his loss be in vain

Learn from his tragedy and when you're in pain...

Make a different choice, choose a healthy drug

I think he'd be weeping if you didn't learn a thing

I heart of gold and silver wedding ring

Both removed from life form for what reason... really.. why?

Don't you dare ignore that question or you too are at risk

Responsible choices, listening to responsible voices

love the ones who love you and reach out to them in times of trouble

Drinking shots of vodka, waitress, please make that a double

Don't get so lonely that you're taking pills and falling down from alcoholic spills

If you can give him ONE thing to make his death not be in vain

Let him teach you these things as you grieve and are in pain.

That choice is up to you, it always has been

It was up to him too. (I'm so so sad that we have lost this incredibly kind and funny person but so much more sad for his family)

Carolyn

I think mean spirited people are pathetic.My brother "accidentally Od'D " in January at my home.Our family was and is devastated.My brother was head injured in an auto accident and practiced poor judgement.I live with the fact that even though he was 50 years old I always looked out for him and this time failed.He was one day out of the hospital with drugs the Dr. ordered.I am grateful that people had the decency not to judge or if they did they did privately.You mean people don't have to sit with his confused 82 yr.old mom grieving.My heart goes out to Greg's family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3