Tony Curtis

is Dead

9/30/2010 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has confirmed Tony Curtis has died of cardiac arrest.

Tony Curtis died.
The legendary actor passed away Wednesday in his Las Vegas home.

As we previously reported, Tony -- who suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- was hospitalized in July near Las Vegas after suffering breathing problems while making an appearance at a local Costco.

Curtis starred in such classics like "Some Like It Hot" and "Spartacus" -- and was nominated for an Oscar for his role in "The Defiant Ones."

He was 85.

More Tony Curtis

Tony Curtis dead.

More Today in TMZ History

mary ann

His real name was BERNARD SCHWARTZ!!

Debbie

Sorry to hear that. RIP Tony. I dated him from 1989 - 1991.

Hmm...

He was brilliant in; The Defiant Ones, Sweet Smell of Success and of course Some Like It Hot...he was also a truly magnificent story teller. He would reminisce on "old Hollywood" in interviews and the television show Hollywood Babylon, he was absolutely captivating.

ritta Acchitelli

Thanks for the memories, Tony. My condolences to Jamie and family..RIP

annie2

OMG, his name was Bernard Schwartz, and you can be Italian and a Jew, though MSN reports his parents were Hungarian Jews. He did receive a lifetime achievement Oscar from Italy so at the very least he was revered there, too...

To Eric: I totally see your point (thought maybe not quite the in-your-face way that you say it, lol). I get it. The guy lived to be an old man which is more than a lot of people get. We have soldiers dying, kids with terminal illnesses, etc. People sometimes act as though he died at 50 or something.

I still say condolences to the family. My grandparents made it to their 80's and it was still really sad when they passed. It's an end of an era no matter who you are...because the next ones to go will be our parents...and if you have already lost your parents then we are next in line. It's scary for some of us, though, yes, quite obviously inevitable...

Jamie Lee Curtis: "My father leaves behind a legacy of great performances in movies and in his paintings and assemblages," actress Jamie Lee Curtis said in a statement Thursday. "He leaves behind children and their families who loved him and respected him and a wife and in-laws who were devoted to him. He also leaves behind fans all over the world. He will be greatly missed."

MissMusick

Bless his family. Tony Curtis was awesome. Loved him in "Some Liek It Hot." Gonna watch it tonight in his honor.

Freddy

He was a true legend in every sense of the word. The Vikings is one of my all time favorite movies. RIP Tony Curtis we won't ever see another like you.

Debbie

Tony Curtis wasn't gay.

billy cema

During his period of making "sand" movies, he was famous for uttering, "Yonda lies da castle of my fadduh!"

He also famously said: "Kissing Marilyn Monroe was like kissing Hitler!"
Whereupon, famous and successful Broadway producer, David Merrick, stated that Tony Curtis gave his best performance as a woman, in "Some Like It Hot!"

Tony Curtis was reportedly chased out of the gay Castro District in San Francisco during the late hrs of bars opening.
Reported by the late Herb Caen, in The San Francisco Chronicle.

Tony Curtis got his revenge years later, when he publicly/sanctimoniously came out against "Brokeback Mountain" (during the oscar-voting period). He ignored the many gays who contributed to his career.

Tony Curtis portrayed Ira Hamilton Hayes, the Pima Indian who helped raise the flag at Iwo Jima, as an eyelash-fluttering man in tan makeup.

Nevertheless, RIP, Bernard Schwartz, aka Tony Curtis.

annie2

Before Tootsie, before To Wong Foo, before Mrs Doubtfire etc, there was Some Like It Hot...pretty groundbreaking for back then!

Gene

I grew up always hearing guys say, "Who do you think you are, Tony Curtis?" I was a kid when I watched Some like it Hot on television, and when he played the Boston Strangler I had nightmares for weeks, and every handsome man scared me to death. Recently I checked out The Vikings from the Library, in which he co starred with Kirk Douglas. He was a talented actor, and painter. He overcame his demons with hard work and humor. He will be missed.

Sandy

Remember when he was animated on the Flintstones (Stony Curtis)? The walk they had him do was classic. My condolences Jamie Lee.

R.Zimmerman

Poor Tony. R.I.P. It's actually a f**king shame that he had to go while the parade of sideshow freaks that make up the rest of today's(and every other day's)reportage are still with us. There is no justice.

CCC

Most of the young celebs of today will never have the suave and debonaire status of this man. In his day, he was what would be the epitomy of cool. Good looking, talented and gracious to his fans. The Great Race is one of my favorite movies, and Jack lemmon was great in it also.

Siggisiss