Universal

Pulls 'Gay' Movie Trailer

10/8/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bowing to growing outrage from the likes of Anderson Cooper, Universal Pictures has decided to pull the trailer for the movie "The Dilemma" -- and replace it with a new one some time today ... Universal tells TMZ.

1008_dilema_EXD_01

The trailer in question begins with Vince Vaughn telling a room full of people, "Ladies and gentlemen, electric cars ... are gay." Sources at Universal Pictures told Deadline Hollywood's Nikki Finke they showed the trailer to gay rights groups beforehand, including GLAAD, and didn't get any negative feedback.

But after Anderson complained on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," we're told the studio folded like a cheap suit.

A rep for Universal Pictures tells TMZ, "The teaser trailer for 'The Dilemma' was not intended to cause anyone discomfort. In light of growing claims that the introduction to the trailer is insensitive, it is being replaced. A full trailer, which has been in the works for some time, will post online later today."

Now if only they can make the movie seem funny.

UPDATE: GLAAD tells TMZ they called on Universal to remove the clip from the trailer last month. A rep tells TMZ, "The use of the word ‘gay’ in this trailer as a slur is unnecessary and does nothing more than send a message of intolerance about our community to viewers."

Sheila Shigley

Exercising freedom of speech is not even allowed? That's very gay!

killerbee

Ladies and Gentlemen... Jeeps are Straight.

Oh wait, Now I'm pissed.

Anthony

So, the word gay used in relation to an electric car is a slur? So, hypothetically, if I said the people at GLAAD were gay. Is that a slur as well? I'm laughing my head off at all this by the way. I grew up during the whole "ban the word black and it will solve all our problems with racism" era. Words are words, grow up and move on...unless of course you like being less mature then a six year old.

Brian

BOOOOOOOOO! Enough with the overly sensitive Gay crowd. ...It's a funny line! Get past it folks!

TheMachine1

An electric car is more nerdy than gay. Gay can mean out of the ordinary. For example 5-10% percent of the population might be gay. An electric car is very rare. I would guess 0.01 % of cars are electric.
That's way beyond just gay. More people have probably had sex with kangaroos than own electric cars.

bring back recent posts

okk...I feel gay, I'm not a lesbian, I feel happy, who am I offending?

SeaThom

Electric cars ARE gay...You have to not be gay to get it. Sounds like the perfect Vince line. Love it...

John

This is getting out of hand... Wow the word "gay".. Give me a small break! How about artistic integrity!!! NBC Universal are cowards!!! It's scary how we all are becoming a bunch of Cry Babies!!! Get over it!! If I was the Writer, Director or anyone on that film I would be mad as hell!!! Maybe if they focused on making there fans happy and stop bowing down to every "org" that complains they might be a much better company...

stephvig

Electric cars aren't gay, mini vans are!!!! (don't be offended people, I have a mini van and LOVE it...I just hear that statement a lot!!!)

This whole post is gay. People that are offended easily just need to move to a deserted island and enjoy their PC land to themselves while the rest of us just have fun and move on!!!

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Excuse you, but sometime during what, the 60s, someone took a great word which originally meant happy, carefree, joyous, & turned it into a word about sexuality. They did it because well, they had the right to didn't they? Most people didn't like that word referring to sexual preference; They liked the old meaning. Well now, certain people are reinventing the word & using for their own purposes to mean fey, effeminate, overly delicate, campy, etc. & the wanna-be progressives don't like it. Too bad. Looks like your rallying cries for free speech turned around & bit you in the a**. If someone directs that word at someone as an insult, that is bullying & don't you paint me with your broad brush you anti-homosexual types. You can't pigeonhole me. But decrying it as a slur when someone is describing a situation or thing in general is just plain whining. You started it, you now have to deal with the consequences.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

...and btw, when I first heard the words anderson cooper 360..., I thought it was a Nascar race, so that's how high up on my radar he was. He pretty much is still in the same position.

stephvig

Oh and the next time someone says "that's so stupid", I am going to be offended since I didn't go to college and I might not be as smart as the rest of the world!!!

How far is all this PC stuff going to go!!!

CrabbyPatty

I always thought Anderson Cooper was a gay man...here's some very very good proof...

anony

Remove it from the trailer...but they're not going to remove it from the movie.
I'm just sick of all these people who want to play WORD POLICE.

ó|ó

so what's wrong with electric cars being ridiculouslöy happy?

the ridiculously happy people are very whiny

should you really be called ridiculously happy with such an attitude